Author Topic: Beat the percentages!  (Read 8234 times)

Offline TwinSpin

Re: Beat the percentages!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
OK, I got 100% too. One of the few times my age gave me some advantage.

However, since I am a retired Professor who taught vocational teachers how to develop "teacher made tests," I can only pat myself on the back for a 75% score. In my book that is a letter grade of "C."

You see, of the four cars pictured, if for sure you knew three of the four pictures, then the forth picture you didn't know became a process of elimination. So, on this test, so structured, it was possible to to get three right and then get credit for a 100% score. Now yes, you may have known each of the forth pictured car, but this test can't prove that. I said to myself when I retired I'd stop being this technical. But then if I want to prepare my race bike to break a record or at least give it my best shot, you can't eliminate what might go wrong just by building everything else perfectly. That one thing you didn't eliminate, will cost you that 100% record.

It was fun anyway. Thanks SSS.

Bill

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
I suck, 37/48, but I did recognize that they were cars :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
I suck, 37/48, but I did recognize that they were cars :-D
Don't feel bad - I took it a second time, and even knowing the answers, my score did not improve.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DaveL

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
37/48 here too. The ones I got right I was 100% sure of. The ones I got wrong I guessed.
Guessed wrong every time.

Offline JimL

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 11:19:42 PM »
46 of 48 because of the 52/54 merc issue.  Don't they KNOW!!??  :?

53's are ALL the matter when comes to a Merc!  Blue...with a white top, OHV, 4-barrel, 3 on the tree and a tee handle by your right knee. :wink:

loved that car, but ya' gotta' keep the point gap tight or she won't rev out.  And if you're gonna' race somebody, your girls gotta' help you hold it down in 1st gear or it'll crawl out with a bang.

You guys remember flippin' the rear shackles with a crowbar?  How'd we keep from knocking out our teeth??

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »
JimL...50`s cars are easy...Less chrome=early year, More chrome=Later year.  Or as Alex Tremulis once said..." Chromium effigies of secondary sexual appendages slathered down the sides of tortured tin painted in multiple contrasting hues....Truely the antithesis of beauty"    Hmmmm..Probably meant the `55 Studebaker President State Ultra Vista Sedan................ :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »

53's are ALL the matter when comes to a Merc!  Blue...with a white top, OHV, 4-barrel, 3 on the tree and a tee handle by your right knee. :wink:

I seem to recall that '52-53 were the years some manufacturers had chrome availability issues due to the Korean War.  I've seen Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles with rather dull bumpers - does anyone recall if the Mercs had this issue?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
Guess it pays to be old, got 100. Seems like I had or rode in every one of those cars, had a lot of fun in several of em.

Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
JimL --

Retirement must be getting to you!  53 Mercs had underhead valves.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
100% But I had to use Twin Spin's logic on the hood ornaments. Knew the three and used logic on the forth. Being old really helped.
A friend had a Kaiser, had to step over the frame rails to get in, had such a low CG all it would do at 60 MPH is slide on dry pavement with six guys in it.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
I got 46 out of 48. Sure glad the cars weren't 50 years newer.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »
44 out of 48..never cared much for Chrysler products when I was growing up......

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
     All that time spent studying the little pages buried in the texts in class finally paid off with an Aced quiz!  Also puts me in a bracket where I can't seem remember near as much about just yesterday :-D

Ed

Offline deucemac

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 01:58:05 AM »
100%, I guess this mass of useless trivia i have floating around in the old cranium DOES come in handy some times!

Offline JimL

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
oh my....that's right...it was a '54! :oops:  Was it Lincoln that got OHV one year early?

anyway.....it was the only car we could borrow that had any cool, at all!

forgetful, JimL