Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22465 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
 So yeah, facing the runway with the other runway at your back, which way will we be running?
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline manifest

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »
"So does that mean you also do the same for the Motorcycle Shootout event.  If so that would be 2 events of the 4 that you limit what the rest of the competitors do.   
It seems to me that things were normally good at Maxton.  If you are going to have more entries than the track can handle, you limit the number of entries.  They do a good job of that at Texas.  Registration opens at a certain time and when the field is full, there is only stand by left.  It seems to work.  I think however it is done it will work out fine.  Limit the entries to allow the competitors to get some runs, and make the registration fair for all.  I'm game.  Just me though."

Yea, sure do it for the bike guys too.  That would only be fare.  i don't see how it would limit "what the rest of the competitiors do" though because it is not like there are 50 cars or bikes that run in the challenge, it would just be 20 or so guys getting to make some fast passes all at once.   I like Charles' ideas, especially the ones about extending the event to include thurs. and running longer on sun.  If the daylight is there we need to use it on sat. too.  Hate to limit the number of entries but if not doing so limits the amount of runs then it has to be done.  If we limit the amount of runs then what happens when the top speed guys really don't have a chance to compete because of people cutting line, oil downs, wind, etc.?  Thats why it may be polite to let them all make runs at a certain time when the conditions are good.  Have two set times that they "CAN" run.  If they choose not to run at that time then that is their decision.  If they get more than two runs by sitting in line with the rest of us then that is fine too.  There is no reason to not give the top speed challenge cars or the throttle nation bike guys a chance to really have a shoot out. 

Can we just run for a week straight every two months?

Zach

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »
Zach, you have valid points.  Personally, and I've run the bike shootout the last 5 years, I feel like if I get a time that we are the only ones running, it isn't fair to the guy that drove as far as I did and paid the same entry I did to compete.  I could get the perfered time where the wind was favorable, the temps were best.  It could start raining right after our runs.  Any nimber of issues.  I personally keep an eye on the hoour by hour weather and attempt to position myself in line for the most favorable time to run.  You take all that away when you start to say there are set times for people to run.
I've only been doing Land Speed since 2007.  Roadracer and Dirt Tracker before this.  The fewest passes I ever made at Maxton was at the closer.  I made 3 total.  One Saturday and I didn't get back in line as it was pointless in a 20 mph head wind.  I made 2 Sunday. 
I'm one that belives you limit to 120 entries.  That is a managable field.  Look at Texas, it seems to works.  I've been spoiled by Maxton and I know it.  For me I'm willing to pay higher entry fees with a limited field to get the runs I need.  That's just me.  I'm not saying I'm right, just have an opinion, and as I said to start, you have valid points.  See you in Ohio.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »
Raising entry fees until those who can't pay can't play is elitist at best. Be fair -- Raise the cost of membership like private golf clubs do. Then folks know up-front that they are just in the way if they aren't heavy hitters. Same thing for points leaders getting first (or only) chance. Charles' idea about a lane for haven't gotten a first pass yet is a great one. Having one of the vehicles that only gets to run when conditions are marginal, I would agree to give up position for a similar amount of time for the fast movers.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
javajoe79;
I believe that when facing the runway with the other runway and the tower behind your back we will be running from left to right, away from the ILS (instrument landing system) for obvious reasons.
Does anyone know when can we mail a pre-registration for Wilmington?

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
We will announce when registration opens, hopefully soon. Keith and I just got back from Wilmington. Many details were worked out...patience's please!!! We will be running from Northeast to Southwest.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
prevailing wind is from the West. Boy now I'm really chomping at the bit for the new info!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
We will announce when registration opens, hopefully soon. Keith and I just got back from Wilmington. Many details were worked out...patience's please!!! We will be running from Northeast to Southwest.

Afternoon sun in the eyes. 8-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
You can practice for that by making record return runs at Bonneville.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
Or zero to 25 lineup number at El Mirage.....  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »
I've found that much harder to do.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
Wow,I thought i would never get here, i kept flunking the visual verification test. I started my recovery from a heart attack followed within three w eeks by three strokes in the fall of last year, when i came out of a fog one of the first things i did was to pick up a copy of Hotrod magazine that had stacked up for three years and read an article about the Maxton Mile. I am surrounded by pictures of myself and Jack Roush in the winners circle at Talledaga and Daytona, pictures of me drag racing in numerous cars and albums of cars i have owned over the years. The Maxton article set my mind to spinning and i asked if i could start driving again, which i did in the parking lot of the local highschool and then to county roads to the interstate. Jumping ahead, i talked with Joe, Keith, and Tonya last spring to ask questions about how to join, register and run at Maxton and ordered a rule book. I started preparing my ss chevy truck to run in a production class and while what i spent is peanuts compared to the special built and modified owners it was still significant. I participated in the Sept. event and had the most exhilarating experience, i was hooked when i found how close to a class record i was. I did not really plan on going back in Oct. though i had it on my mind constantly, and two weeks before the meete my grandson said "PapA why don't you go back to that Maxton Mile and break that record" and i found motel rooms, reprogrammed the computor, and bought new Goodyear formula 11 tires. In my second life the biggest thrill i have ever experienced was making the fourth run on Sunday morning after fighting the wind along with everyone else on Saturday and set a new track record in A/pp. I called Tonya two weeks before Thanksgiving to order another record setting shirt and she asked if i had desided to go to Ohio. She also told me that there was so much interest that it was being considered to limit the entries to 150. The week after Thanksgiving i called and with difficulty reserved two rooms, called Tonya to see if i could pay next years dues and preregister to run. She said that final cost hah not been determined yet and to just wait until after the first of the year.Since then i have contracted for chassis dtno time, to have my truck valve train improved upon, to install electric cutouts and to have an hp tuneup put in my truck, again peanuts to what i realize most of you invest but not to me. Now after all of that , in case there is a huge demand for entries which category do i fall in, the guy that just wants to run his car wide open throttle and not meet tech or am i now a "regular" that chases class records and now continually comes back, or am i in no mans land. Everyday i am consumed with what i can do to increase my speed from 127 mph to 130+ in april at Ohio and still maintain my production status and i would be glad to send my checks Monday morning, where do i stand. One more thing, i could not have felt more welcomed and offered advise  and assistance from both the volunteers as well as the other competitors, making a kind of nervous first time experience  a relaxed joy. I was at the track at noon and until dark on friday in the rain in Sept. to complete my registration, go through tech inspection and rookie orientation, i was first in line in the prestage line in sept. fourth in line on Saturday in Oct. always with my helmut and jacket on, in order to never possibly hold things. I got two runs in on Saturday and was fourth in line at 6:00 pm after the oildown. I was back at the track at 6:15 am on Sunday in the staging lane and made one run to obtain my track record, i wanted to move up in class and make one more run before starting a ten hour drive home but the prestage line was back to almost the portable toilet on the return road. With respect has it been considered to have a backup printer as that seemed to be a holdup in Oct. Happy Hollidays to all and i really hope to see you in April,  Garrell Patterson
garrell patterson

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
Sounds like you've got it bad Garrell!

Welcome to the group and we look forward to seeing more records and maybe even a trip to the salt.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
Garrell, welcome to the addiction, maybe you need to do an intro thread.... although a lot of it may be here.  Tell us about yourself and your plans in that section.  Maybe you need to come out to the salt and play... You could easily run in the 130 club at WoS.    Of course that will lead to building a dedicated race vehicle and play havoc with your retirement checks and 401K.
I wouldn't worry about not getting a slot to race, sounds like you are on top of it.  
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2011, 02:50:20 AM »
Stainlessi, i have studied the rule book over and over and i have already built several cars in my mind, it would probably still be a production class car because i still have some limitations that would make it difficult to load, tie down, unload etc. It would be a car and i have a year model in mind and know about what the cost would be, but running a truck is challenging and fun. I have a 1998 21,000 mile c5 corvette that with very few performance improvements should run 160 mph+, but it has never seen a raindrop and i kindof would hate to put the rollcage, f.e. system in. Wouldn't a 1986-87 camaro iroc with a well put together, lots of compression, head work, exhaust 305 c.i. be an aerodynamic ball. The 305 will or would put in a d/class, i have lots of other mental builds but it is 2:45 am and this is when i start my two hour exercise/therapy workout.
garrell patterson