Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22459 times)

Offline sabat

Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »
My Question is about the Top Speed Challange Entries. Will we be called up at a certain time period or is it going to be the luck of the draw like last year. Sitting in line 8hrs and not getting to make a pass is a little harsh to swallow.Then not being able to retain our spot overnight unless you leave your car out in the elements of possible theft or damage. Just a question,don't get your drawers in a wad. :|

Keith and Al will let you leave a cone or the like to mark your place in line.

Offline manifest

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
Larry, I guess this means you and Frank will be running this coming year.  Good deal.  I could see how possibly having the Top Speed Challenge guys run all at once would be an advantage.  You guys are what draws the spectators in, street legal cars running over 200.  Most don't understand the rest of us running 140 in a vw or 60 on a small cc bike.  It would be easy, I would think, to say that all top speed cars be ready to run by a said time.  Have one lane prepped and ready to run.  Bring all of you up and give it a go.  It would keep the speeds fresh on everyones minds and make it easier for the fans to relate to what cars are actually running in the challenge.  Land speed racing is not drag racing but when you get down to the top speed challenge you might as well be fighting for #1 qualifier at Indy.  Just my thoughts at 7am.

Zach

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
8 hours in line would be harsh with all those people making two or three passes breaking in line. Dean - see if you rode a harley, you wouldn't need a cone to mark your place in line.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
8 hours in line would be harsh with all those people making two or three passes breaking in line. Dean - see if you rode a Harley, you wouldn't need a cone to mark your place in line.

I am glad someone mentioned "breaking in line"

At the October meet on that Saturday, I got in Line for my first run at approximately
11:30am, I waited very patiently and at around 5:15/5:20 pm I was in lane 1 all suited up and buckled in warming the engine, the starter came over tightened my belts, gave me a firm hand shake, wished me well and put up my window net and directed me to get ready I was 3 back.

As I was pulling up 3rd in line now the S10 truck blew up and oiled down the track. about 5:30 pm,,, runs logs have the exact time... to much oil, no more time,, I sat in the car till about 5:50 when the tower told the starting line we are DONE for the day.

I did not get upset,.. I waited in line for 6 hours and not a single run.. there is always Tomorrow I said...

But what did upset me was the fact that some folks made two and three runs between 11:30am and 5:30pm ???  How could that happen ?  They must have been breaking in line ?

So on Sunday I made my first run (of the event and for the day) as I recall around
10:00 am.. give or take 15 minutes ...by the time my recover truck met me in long shut down and we headed towards the staging lines, to my amazement the staging lines was at the FINSISH Line,, wow,, I was able to get another run at about 1:15pm..

However what I did observe was "what appeared to be" folks passing me in line and going to one of the breaks in the line (where we had been told to leave open for fire and rescue) and folks "appeared to be" breaking in line there.  I am not going to call out any names,, but if you are curious, just look at the run logs and if anyone ran after my first run and again before my second run then the  only way would have been if they broke  in line.

Just an observation...
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
At El Mirage the situation got so bad that we had to go to starting position based on points. Call up only 25 at a time, no saving spots, no putting a truck in line then pulling out when the car/bike shows up, etc. As you can see there are any number of things that can be done to circumvent the etiquette of the line.

Police yourselves, don't be so PC that you can't tell the AH to go to back.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Underdog

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Maybe I need to clarify my question a little more. I'm only asking about the Top Speed Challenge Event. Frank and I have always waited our turn on the other events. We have very much enjoyed fellowship with the other racers in line with us. We've stood by while the decisions of the race director felt condition's didn't warrent fast cars on the track at that time.No problem. We don't run for points anymore,been there,done that ,won that. Our motto has always been Where Fast Is Still Fun. The TSC is our main focus at this time as we are on a very limited budget. Its the only coverage that ECTA receives in the Hot Rod mag. Once you win something like that or stand up and police the rules you get a bulls eye on your back.We've had that feeling for a long time just because we questioned a entree that was illegal per our rule book. We thought that's what were supposed to do. We wish everyone good luck this coming year and will as always enjoy seeing you again,and meeting new people.  Go fast,be safe,have fun. :-D

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
Larry, I guess this means you and Frank will be running this coming year.  Good deal.  I could see how possibly having the Top Speed Challenge guys run all at once would be an advantage.  You guys are what draws the spectators in, street legal cars running over 200.  Most don't understand the rest of us running 140 in a vw or 60 on a small cc bike.  It would be easy, I would think, to say that all top speed cars be ready to run by a said time.  Have one lane prepped and ready to run.  Bring all of you up and give it a go.  It would keep the speeds fresh on everyones minds and make it easier for the fans to relate to what cars are actually running in the challenge.  Land speed racing is not drag racing but when you get down to the top speed challenge you might as well be fighting for #1 qualifier at Indy.  Just my thoughts at 7am.

Zach

So does that mean you also do the same for the Motorcycle Shootout event.  If so that would be 2 events of the 4 that you limit what the rest of the competitors do.   
It seems to me that things were normally good at Maxton.  If you are going to have more entries than the track can handle, you limit the number of entries.  They do a good job of that at Texas.  Registration opens at a certain time and when the field is full, there is only stand by left.  It seems to work.  I think however it is done it will work out fine.  Limit the entries to allow the competitors to get some runs, and make the registration fair for all.  I'm game.  Just me though.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
The solution is a simple one. If an event is over subscribed and there are more entries than the event can handle, just raise the price until it levels.  That is called in economics supply and demand.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
More than once I've driven to Maxton and waited all weekend to make just one or two runs. If the wait is long, I'll still go. If it rains one day, I'll still go. If I want to be assured a spot, I'll preregister. For me, LSR isn't like drag racing where one weekend makes or breaks my attitude. I'm in this for the long haul and don't mind so much if it takes all year to make enough runs for the next record.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Rev, I agree with you

I am 100% confident all will be well in Ohio,,,

If we encounter longer waits and less runs per entrant,
There a few ways to accommodate more entries and still get 4 to 5 runs per entrant on average.

Charge a few bucks more for entry fee and ??

1. Extend the run times on Sunday from the 2:00pm stop time  to 5:00pm...that gains 70 to 100 potential runs     (if there are no lines after 3:00pm close then)

2. Add a day to the event,
    Tech on Thursday afternoon. Start Runs on Friday from 1:00 to 6:00

3. Have a provisional staging line for entrants who have not made a run  that day to get in line.

For the first 3 Hours each day have 2 or 3 staging lines open that anyone can use.

After 3 hours or some pre set time, designate a lane (lane 3)
    ONLY for entrants that have not made a run that day.

This provisional lane may not be perfect but what it could do is come as close as possible to guaranteeing each entrant at least 2 runs (excepting for track delays) without adding any time or cost to the event.

Sorry my mind is a logistics playground (come on in) LOL
(in my past life i was Director for Championship State and National Level Shooting Tournaments for up to 250 gun toting adrenalin junkies.. trust me,, everything had to go smooth.. we played with live ammo !!!

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
  Gee so many ideas but really nothing is broken seems to me theres no need to fix it.  Having attended a number of events at Maxton first as a helper with Steve's roadster and finally with my own car we always have made at least two runs and usually three during an event even with rain and high wind delays. How do we do it by being efficient ready to run when we arrive and get in line when it opens no mystery to how its done.
    Now if there was a way to eliminate the wind and rain more runs could take place. Remember we run on a runway that's  built into the wind so a plane can take off the way I see it the wind is our bigest enemy. Figure out how to solve that problem and more runs can take place.
 Just my thoughts
     Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline dw230

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Wilmington being new, run with the wind and factor wind speed into the speed.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »

1. Extend the run times on Sunday from the 2:00pm stop time  to 5:00pm...that gains 70 to 100 potential runs     (if there are no lines after 3:00pm close then)

2. Add a day to the event,
    Tech on Thursday afternoon. Start Runs on Friday from 1:00 to 6:00

3. Have a provisional staging line for entrants who have not made a run  that day to get in line.

For the first 3 Hours each day have 2 or 3 staging lines open that anyone can use.

After 3 hours or some pre set time, designate a lane (lane 3)
    ONLY for entrants that have not made a run that day.

This provisional lane may not be perfect but what it could do is come as close as possible to guaranteeing each entrant at least 2 runs (excepting for track delays) without adding any time or cost to the event.

I like all these ideas too
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
"Wilmington being new, run with the wind and factor wind speed into the speed."

Probably got to run the other way for the right shut-down run-off area.  Just factor in (on the honor system) the headwind when you figure your record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »

Probably got to run the other way for the right shut-down run-off area.  Just factor in (on the honor system) the headwind when you figure your record.

Once again Stan's inner child speaks out !!!!   :cheers:

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT