Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22464 times)

Offline columbus jim

• New folks
Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Hello , I guess I'm a newbie to this type of racing, though I have been involved with racing for 40 some years. I do understand the concern about number of participants and the logistics to run. But it does raise the question about choosing the entrants. I have been building sprint cars, midgets and supers for quite a while and have two new cars in production now for Willming ton. Believe me it is stressing to hear suggested comments about how to pick who will be allowed to race and who wont. I have talked with both Keith and Joe and am sure there are a multitude of changes to make in the operation of our events, but guys to put it plain, Willming ton has opened the door to so many more racers than was ever thought of at Maxton. 150 entrants seems a good number but realistically I would not be surprised to see that at each event.I would hope that entrance will be on a first come basis with some guidelines for how well you run on your record ( sort of like time trials, you only get maybe two passes to get to your class speed or within reach of it or you are dis qualified and done for the weekend. These are only food for thought. I just don't want to build two cars and not be able to compete because we are new to the organisation.  Jim
Jim Driggs

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
Java joe

If you pay the entry fee and show up with a legal car or bike you have a right to run! My everyday street car has to run against a record of 237 mph (F/BGSS) so I don't have the right to run??? Bull ;$&!!!!

J.Eken
That's my point!!!  Legal car to run the record speed in your class.  Will your car pass tech enough to run as fast as you can run? Then fine with me. Its the cars capable of running faster then they can tech that bother me. Problem is, they actually run faster then they are allowed by the rules but the slow down for the lights. Why even allow that to happen?

Look at it like this for example. At Bonneville, if you don't have a cage, you don't run. Why not make it that easy and weed out people who aren't serious enough about the sport to commit that much to safety. Wanna run 200+ with just a roll bar and a fire extinguisher strapped to it and be lucky you survived when you lose a tire and go air borne? There are other venues that allow that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:35:43 AM by javajoe79 »
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jreken

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23:57 AM »
Java joe
The ECTA has a l o n g history of allowing STREET cars to run. The only"salt" at Wilmington is in the shakers of the local restaurants. I drive my car on the street EVERYDAY and a full cage (remember the 237mph record?) would not allow a cup holder for my morning coffee. I don't even wan't to think about the containment seat  and local traffic here in NJ.  AND.....  If you think I'am NOT serious about LSR come visit me at the timing computer next April; a job that I've had since April of '05.

J. Eken

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 08:30:45 AM »
I know I can speak for my partners, Donna, Tonya and Keith when I say that we value all of our competitors equally. In our eyes the little guy is just as important as the big guy. We don't like having any limits but we need to get The Ohio Mile running smoothly first before we up or remove the limit. All of us will be rookies at Wilmington and 'Herding Cats' isn't an easy task!!! We expect a lot of new 'to land speed racing' racers coming to Ohio and they will not be experienced with our systems as our regular competitors.

We will announce when registration will be open using the ECTA website (www.ecta-lsr.com) , Facebook, Landracing and Bangshift sites.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »
Hey guys... calm down, let's not start scrapping among ourselves... LSR is a family event and with the move to Ohio the family just got bigger.  Let Joe and Keith worry the hows and why.  I'll bet the new competitors outnumber the old 2 to 1, why, it's a long way from the old family reunion spot to the new. 
Give the event a chance to develop, Maxton had growing pains, so will Wilmington...
Remember to have fun, be safe and go fast  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Thank you Stainless!!! Oh Yeah, now that we have a smooth track, come race with us!!!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »
Java joe
The ECTA has a l o n g history of allowing STREET cars to run. The only"salt" at Wilmington is in the shakers of the local restaurants. I drive my car on the street EVERYDAY and a full cage (remember the 237mph record?) would not allow a cup holder for my morning coffee. I don't even wan't to think about the containment seat  and local traffic here in NJ.  AND.....  If you think I'am NOT serious about LSR come visit me at the timing computer next April; a job that I've had since April of '05.

J. Eken

You are really taking what I am saying the wrong way. I am sorry that I have come across to you the way I have. Please try and hear me out and not take offense so easily. Look on the bright side, the F/BGSS record is only 191 so you maybe it won't cost as much as you thought   :cheers: 

But seriously what I am talking about does not even include you as you are a regular competitor and long time member but if your F/BGSS car is capable of more speed then it is teched to and you exceed that speed every time you run only to slow for the lights, is that not skirting the rules?

I am talking about the cars that show up every event and blatantly break the rules in my eye by going over their teched speed before the lights then slowing down to finish their run. Safety is a serious matter at ECTA events and allowing this to go on has always confused me. I know it is hard to say what speed someone was going before braking for the lights but when they are obviously braking hard, you know they were going faster then they are supposed to.

I just think some discretion could be used and cars like that could be turned away. It's no different then any other form of motorsport where if you can't meet the rules, you can't run.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
Finally Joe has opened a topic that I am something of an expert at - cat herding. We have 11 indoor cats (& my mother-in-law's 2). The first thing is to get them all to sit down together for a productive chat.
There's no telling how long it will take a standard format to evolve. A down side to moving to such a more populated area will be the masses coming once (good for club memborship revenue) only to discover that this is not for them. A simple review of the points at Maxton shows a large number of one event a year participants. How many rookie orientation faces return? The reality that speed is not hitting a number with a needle; it's a time slip, seems to be an insurmountable shock for many.
Obviously, this topic of entries is complex. Add in competitor ameneties, venders (if food only), spectators and their needs, like an electrified enclosure for children and pets, pit space, track access..... Pray for the Timneys and Turks and their chance to even remember this coming Holiday Season.  peace out

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
Dag Phit, I thought me and Amy were the only ones with a herd (6 inside cats + 3 outside dawgs) After reflecting on our 4 years with the ECTA the trend of 1st race of the year (shootout) being "packed" and the last race (throttle nation) being "packed" was still not at 150 entries and the mid summer events at Maxton where the the temp was 96 and the humidity was 96 and the gnat count was 96 million per person folks were making 10 plus passes with the record I believe one dude on a bike made 23 or so. If folks think that the summer events in Ohio will be "cooler" and more user friendly they would be mistaken. I feel no envy for Joe, Keith, Donna and Tonya's for the task before them as it seems daunting to me and we greatly appreciate their efforts. If everyone keeps their marbles in one bag and police them selves and those around them thing will work out fine.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

LittleLiner

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
. . .  an electrified enclosure for children and pets,.....

Gee Ken.  Kinda harsh don't ya think. . . . OK, for children maybe . . but for pets?  that's just cruel.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Frank, I didn't mention the 6 horses including the mini Butters or as I like to call him Major Mayhem. You're right Art, maybe some of those runs with overhead cables and collars would be more appropriat. My mother-in-law who has dementia (worse than me) suggested one of those for her if she gets really bad off - atleast she won't need more than one DVD. Recently there was a walk for Alzheimers - about 30 silver alerts came out of that one.

Offline Underdog

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »
My Question is about the Top Speed Challange Entries. Will we be called up at a certain time period or is it going to be the luck of the draw like last year. Sitting in line 8hrs and not getting to make a pass is a little harsh to swallow.Then not being able to retain our spot overnight unless you leave your car out in the elements of possible theft or damage. Just a question,don't get your drawers in a wad. :|

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »
This is Land Speed Racing get to the front of the line your next to run. Long lines we ALL wait longer. Theres  no special treatment if you run 32 MPH or 250 MPH its all the same we wait for our time on the coarse.
 Remember the idea is to be safe, have fun and then go fast. And maybe get a special jacket.
       Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Underdog

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
This is Land Speed Racing get to the front of the line your next to run. Long lines we ALL wait longer. There's no special treatment if you run 32 MPH or 250 MPH its all the same we wait for our time on the coarse.
 Remember the idea is to be safe, have fun and then go fast. And maybe get a special jacket.
      Ron
You being shown as a newbie the same as I you are allowed to make that statement. I'm not a newbie at this and the question was abit over your head i suppose. You must be very unaware of what the Top Speed Challenge is all about. Hot Rod Mag puts this on and with their involvement has really brought much attention to land speed racing. Its like having a Pro Mod meet at the local dragstrip along with their regular racing program. As far as the special jacket goes, I Have Three (3) of them. I have fun,go fast , and do it safely. Good luck to you in your racing adventures.       Larry
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:25:13 PM by Underdog »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
UD --- Ronnie isnt a rookie ... and the Land Speed Racing community is a far cry from drag racing -  We are all equal and compete against a record not each other ... very different.

Joe