Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22461 times)

Offline manifest

Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:27 AM »
Does anyone know if Wilmington has lighting?  This would be something to look into I think.  I know lighting is not cheap on that scale but to be able to start running earlier and stay later would be great.  Cold track may limit speeds somewhat but I have watched many outlaw radial and other small tired full bodied drag cars make 150+mph passes late into the night at South Georgia under the light.  Just a thought...

Zach

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
I have mixed emotions (yes I have emotions   :evil:) on limiting the amount of runs a paying entrant can get.

However you do bring up an interesting point, if you are safety tech-ed to a certain speed (135,150, 175)  once you license up and then if you reach that tech speed, what is the purpose of making more runs ?  

My ONLY purpose in making subsequent runs is to TRY to run faster than my previous run.
Going back to the pits and making changes that I feel will get me more MPH on the next run.

If you are tech-ed to a speed and reach it,,,what else is there,, you are max'd out ??
At the USFRA ,WOS event for the 130 and 150 club once you attain the goal speed you are done (5 runs max to get to 130 or 150,,,from what I have been told,, I may be mis informed)

Just my thoughts

Charles
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:28:19 AM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Warp12

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
However you do bring up an interesting point, if you are safety tech-ed to a certain speed (135,150, 175)  once you license up and then if you reach that tech speed, what is the purpose of making more runs ?  

I'm going to guess "fun". While there are some who are only out to chase a record or number, I think a lot of people want to come to the track to have fun. I don't think that limiting the runs an entrant can make would be a step in the right direction for the ECTA.

Limiting total entries, if needed, and running efficiently is the best approach, imo. I also wonder if there is some equipment that could be rented or purchased that would help to limit the downtime due to oil-downs and such?

Shane
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:46:17 AM by Warp12 »

Offline entropy

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »

I'm going to guess "fun". While there are some who are only out to chase a record or number, I think a lot of people want to come to the track to have fun. I don't think that limiting the runs an entrant can make would be a step in the right direction for the ECTA.

Limiting total entries, if needed, and running efficiently are the best approach, imo. I also wonder if there is some equipment that could be rented or purchased that help to limit the downtime due to oil-downs and such?

Shane

totally agree! :cheers:

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
There is so much speculation ... No one can predict the number of entries. I would expect that a first event would draw a lot of entries but I would also be surprised if it didnt level off in future events.  Joe and Keith are very good at running an event and I have confidence in their ability to do this right.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
There is so much speculation ... No one can predict the number of entries. I would expect that a first event would draw a lot of entries but I would also be surprised if it didnt level off in future events.  Joe and Keith are very good at running an event and I have confidence in their ability to do this right.

Let's also see what the cost is going to be.  I know that Joe and Keith want to keep it affordable, but it's my understanding that this is going to be a more expensive venue to run at, and we may wind up with a somewhat self regulated entry list due to additional costs.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
I'll once more offer the comment that the first meet of the year is the Hot Rod magazine-sponsored Top Speed event -- and that brings out a large number of racers that likely won't be there at other events.  It'll therefore be a bit difficult to draw valid conclusions about attendance.

But - I betcha Joe and Keith will get a good idea of what to expect, es,pecially when they consult with Donna and Tonya. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
"Better yet . . . limit entries to only AA/BFS.  That will keep out all those pesky "cars that can't even tech over 135mph?""

No it won't. Anyone can up enter into a larger engine displacement class.

Charles,

May I offer that the reason people continue to run after meeting their tech speed is so that they can add to their siganture line?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
I know there are mixed feeling on this but what about the people who come out and run cars that can't even tech over 135mph? Everyone knows they can run faster and do but slow down for the lights. What about a 1 run only for cars like that or a just plain race cars only rule. If you can't tech to the record in your class, you can't run at all.

Better yet . . . limit entries to only AA/BFS.  That will keep out all those pesky "cars that can't even tech over 135mph?"

This is no offense meant to actual competitors who race, like you. There are alot of cars that run 135 all day long when they can actually run much faster but because they don't want to build the car to run to it's limit, they haul ass for 3/4 of a mile then slow to 135 for the lights. Like I said, if you can't tech to your class record then I think you shouldn't be allowed to run.

For example, I remember one meet last year there was a new Nissan GTR running. This car was easily capable of well over 150mph or better but all he did all day long was go as fast as he could before braking hard to go through the lights at 135 so he wouldn't get yelled at. He didn't slow down enough one run and he got yelled at. I just don't see a point in letting people run like that.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »
"Better yet . . . limit entries to only AA/BFS.  That will keep out all those pesky "cars that can't even tech over 135mph?""

No it won't. Anyone can up enter into a larger engine displacement class.

Charles,

May I offer that the reason people continue to run after meeting their tech speed is so that they can add to their siganture line?

DW

:cheers:

Offline jreken

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »
Java joe

If you pay the entry fee and show up with a legal car or bike you have a right to run! My everyday street car has to run against a record of 237 mph (F/BGSS) so I don't have the right to run??? Bull ;$&!!!!

J.Eken

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »

Charles,

DW

DW, looks like you and Stan have a "thing" about signature lines ??

But by running the same "tech limited" say 135 mph,  run after run after run  ..how would that add to a signature line ? and what the heck does a signature line have to do with a tech limit or enrty limits or the wait time in a staging line ?

Charles

Oh yeah,, DW , I have a a lot of respect for you and all you do for the SCTA and the competitors, but a man with your degree of earned respect in LSR, should not be so antognistic to others just because we run a differant venue.

I also know you are referring to my long signature line,,if it's length bothers you, then you can sure solve that problem, just show up with a car in one of those classes and knock that record off my signature line,,, I think it would be fun... come on to Ohio or Loring,, let's enjoy some good ole competition....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:51:31 PM by Cajun Kid »
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
"...how would that add to a signature line ?"

By running in a class with no record?

I do not have a problem with anyone who puts wheels on the track. Any track. The venue is what it is and I don't hate the players.

While I enjoyed my trip to Maxon and have been discussing a trip to Wilmington with Fogie. I have absolutely no interest in those classes and speeds.

DW
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:05:12 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
DW, well then,,,

If you make it to Ohio, look me up,, we can have a drink or 3
My Treat..

Oh by the way, I will be easy to find,, my race rig is like my signature line,,, LONG  LOL  :cheers:

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
Its huge!! When I saw it at loring I thought somebody had two cars. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing