Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22460 times)

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »
Was 150 an ECTA record for entries? Maybe it was because we were in a smaller pit area in '07-09; but before the economic crunch, driver's meetings looked about the same size. The resolution to limited entries is apparently something most other venues have had to struggle with and our leaders may well have been involved in many of them. This resolution will be interesting and how might it impact year end awards. Spectator revenue increases should certainly go up but their accomodation cost will rise. I hope the Turks and Timneys have time to work in a Holiday season with this incredible task of moving and restructuring. Good Luck

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
Well, for sure the drivers meeting at the October 2011 meet was less-attended than it could have been.  remember, Milwaukee Midget was in the pits and making hellacious noises with his engine - when he SHOULD have been at the meeting.  We all learned something from that:  If you're planning on skipping the drivers meeting (not a good idea at any time), for sure don't blip the throttle of your unmuffled race engine during the meeting.  It only announces that you are not in attendance.

Over to you, Chris :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
Just a heads up to everyone. SCTA/BNI has been doing this for over 60 years. The lakes and Bonneville are old hat to us. When we went to Muroc everything changed as the venue was totally different. We had to make adjustments and volunteer positions etc. The USAF worked with us but watched every move and followed us to assure we didn't stray.

As ECTA is going to a new venue it will be the same deal. It's all new, the property owners will watch everything and probably ask for changes. Every racer and crew member should be at the drivers meeting and do the course drive down so you know where to go. The first day is always a bitch for all. Cooperate with ECTA officials and the people loaning us a place to race. Like they say first impressions are forever. Trash, if you haul it in you take it out. Oil should be put into your own containers as well and taken home. One other thing, help ECTA with the track tear down and clean up before you go home.

This will be a big learning curve for all sides. Have fun, go fast and be safe.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Math ?  OK let's have a crack at it.

Base assumptions

150 Entries
  40 Runs per hour
    0 Major delays  (Ohio will have a second lane to switch to, in case of big problem)
  14  Hours Total Run time. Saturday 9:30 to 6:00 with 30 min lunch break = 8 hours
                                           Sunday    8:00 to 2:00 = 6 hours

14x40=560 Total Runs
560 / 150 = 3.73 Runs per entry
(this may equate to 4 + runs per bike and only  3 per car)

Hmm, I am going to make gear changes and pack the chute in the staging lanes, no going to the pits between my 3 runs, maybe 4

I feel with a 60% bike 40% car ratio and the excellent staff at the ECTA we can sure strive to average more than 40 runs per hour... maybe as many as 50 runs per hour.
By averaging 50 runs per hour the math goes from 3.73 runs per entry up to 4.66

I am not going to sweat the details,, I am just going to show up, help as best I can and race...

See ya in Ohio

Charles

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:25:19 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline redcatch

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
Charles that is the attitude. Make sure your ready , if not have people pass you . Coroperate and graduate. For Sure Wilmington will be different and it will not be the same as Maxton. It will be alot better. Just the fact that there are not two turns. a oh crap bump at 5/8 of a mile and a obstacle course makes me really happy. The fact that we can really get serious about aerodynamics without tearing the bottom of the car off and I won't get back to the pits with rocks the size of softballs wedged between the pan and transmission. Its all good.  I can't wait.
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
Charles, thank you for the math lesson. As things progress, we will post all Ohio updates on the ECTA website.

Keith & I will be out there next week to workout more details of the operation of the event. So many details...so little time!!!

Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
Well, for sure the drivers meeting at the October 2011 meet was less-attended than it could have been.  remember, Milwaukee Midget was in the pits and making hellacious noises with his engine - when he SHOULD have been at the meeting.  
Over to you, Chris :evil: :evil:

The single most important lesson I learned that weekend.

Well, that, and if you're late to the meeting, the coffee runs out . . .

Seriously, the first time anything happens at a new venue, there will be snags - if you go in expecting them, then you're either right or pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:25:18 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
Charles outstanding math.
    I should have listened to my high school math teacher he told me some day I was going to need this stuff LOL.
 Seems to me a cap of 150 vehicles would make the first events manageable until the bugs if any are worked out. BUT knowing the gear head capital of the country is Ohio I bet its going to get really crowded as the word gets out to those gear heads. Now that's not a bad thing just saying the cap might have to be raised as time goes on.
 Ron

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline sabat

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
Sorry to be an Eeyore, but that math only works if the rescue truck shows up on time, the computers are working, the printer is working, the weather is clear, and no one breaks anything and oils down the course.  :-D

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:08 AM »
Sorry to be an Eeyore, but that math only works if the rescue truck shows up on time, the computers are working, the printer is working, the weather is clear, and no one breaks anything and oils down the course.  :-D

150 entries is a lot and I'm sure the interest that is being generated in Ohio will bring in a lot of new racers.  I know the Maine event at Loring was very crowded last year and Saturday was a 3 run day if you were in line early in the AM.  Not sure what the event total was there.  I like the 120 entry cap a little better, but I'm game for whatever it ends up being.  It would be nice to offer a predetermined amount of slots to ECTA regulars.  Another amount to 1st time entrants.  If the 1st timers doesn't fill up by a certain date, offer them to anyone.  I'm sure the ECTA will do a good job of getting it sorted.  I am like the rest and want as many runs as I can get.  I know I was spoiled at Maxton.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
Greg, you won't have too worry. Not that many folks want to get up at 4:00am to put their bikes in pre-stage. Not much room for run for fun (which I know pleases many) unless you show up with a 'Busa and a bunch of stickers -- still won't work for but one meet.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
Greg, you won't have too worry. Not that many folks want to get up at 4:00am to put their bikes in pre-stage. Not much room for run for fun (which I know pleases many) unless you show up with a 'Busa and a bunch of stickers -- still won't work for but one meet.

I'm out to get Greg's spot in line.... :-D

Shane

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
The organizers could say on the application that they have the right to limit the number of runs a person could make in a specified time.  As an example, during the busy periods a person would be allowed only one run every four hours.  This might work better than limiting the entries.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »
 I know there are mixed feeling on this but what about the people who come out and run cars that can't even tech over 135mph? Everyone knows they can run faster and do but slow down for the lights. What about a 1 run only for cars like that or a just plain race cars only rule. If you can't tech to the record in your class, you can't run at all.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

LittleLiner

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »
I know there are mixed feeling on this but what about the people who come out and run cars that can't even tech over 135mph? Everyone knows they can run faster and do but slow down for the lights. What about a 1 run only for cars like that or a just plain race cars only rule. If you can't tech to the record in your class, you can't run at all.

Better yet . . . limit entries to only AA/BFS.  That will keep out all those pesky "cars that can't even tech over 135mph?"