Author Topic: Limit on Entries  (Read 22455 times)

Offline manifest

Limit on Entries
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »
A friend called me the other evening and said one of his parnets friends from the OH area had called (ECTA I presume) about running a bike at the Wilmington event in April and was told there would be a limit on entries, 150 cars and 150 bikes.  Is this a true statement or has he been misinformed or what?  I looked over this forum and others and looked at our ECTA site but did not see anything that would make anyone think this.  Figured I would ask the masses on here before I bother the Keith Tonya Joe or Donna by phone.

Zach

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: Limit on Entries
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »
There will be a limit of 150 entries TOTAL
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Is this for the April event only or all events.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline gsxrgirl

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
When is registration opening for the April event?

Offline manifest

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Alright, at first thought 150 doesn't sound like much but I have never done a car count at Maxton.  Is this a pit space issue or just going with a limit to help control the first event and test the waters?  Will existing members get dibs on entering?  I know the more new members we can have the better it is for the racing community but its a little worrisome to think there is only a small window of opprotunity that we'll have to get a ticket in to run. 

Dad spoke with Tonya earlier today and she said it may be towards the first of the year before they set an entry fee because they don't know how much its going to cost for use of the facilities, I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Timney

Zach

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
If memory serves -- 150 entries would be a BIG turnout for an ECTA event.  I believe I heard we had nearly that many at the finale in October 2011, and that was for sure the biggest turnout I'd ever seen there.

My guess is that ECTA officials are thinking the limit will make this first-time race event less unmanageable.  Remembering that the first event of the year is the Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed event, and adding to that the fact that Wilmington might have a larger turnout because it's a bit more centrally located - and you've got good reasons to guess that maybe that 150 is a wise thing - else there'd be lines hours long.  Over to you, Joe.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
At Maxton, the ECTA runs an extremely efficient event. If you check the run logs you will see that without an oil down or stoppage there are 40 runs in an hour.  If there are 150 entries .... well you can do the math ...

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:07 PM »
 I can understand the limit but I think it would also be fair to give current members dibs up to a certain date at least.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline entropy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
At Maxton, the ECTA runs an extremely efficient event. If you check the run logs you will see that without an oil down or stoppage there are 40 runs in an hour.  If there are 150 entries .... well you can do the math ...

"the math"...  yes indeed.
I loved Maxton's normal "club meetings" at 60-70 entrants; a family affair.
The special final meeting with 150 was a hoot yakking with folks; who cared about grid wait times, it was a special final meeting at Maxton.
But 150 entrants is no longer a "club meeting", it is an event, all logistics go to a whole new level.
Like it or not, the event is a business, not just friends out for a fun weekend, now you have a bunch of customers along with yr family.

Texas started out Oct 2003 as a club meeting with 35 entrants; for several years its been over 200, with several thousand spectators.
The organizers grew the staff along with grid and spectator count, but we the racers have bitched about grid count ever since it went over about 120.  Even with all the excellent organization/staff, waiting 2, sometimes 3 hours at every event to make a pass SUCKS.  This ain't Bonneville with 4-5 days...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:04:18 AM by entropy »

Offline entropy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:18 AM »
more observations...

I go to all the asphalt venues, all different.
After a bit of a logistical mess in April, Mojave's Owner Mike Border set entrants at 120 for Oct.  
That worked out well, helped by Mike's 110% event organization and dedicated long-time staff.

Last Loring entrant count was about 100???, don't remember exactly.
Sat was a bit of a mess, long grid waits, lotsa grumbling.  But on Sun, Joe Daly seemed to take control of staging and things DRAMATICALLY improved.  Don't know what he did, but it sure worked.  

Texas has been having 210-230 entrants for some years now.
Race Director Ryan Arnold and his staff are very well organized, controls & moves the grid as fast as possible, they have a buncha trained Joe Daly clones (gotta say that pre-stage girl is MUCH cuter than JD) in grid and staging.  Grid waits still WAY too long.

You notice i'm not mentioning registration fees bc to be honest $100 or $350 is peanuts compared with my 7.5mpg travel costs, and the many, many thou$and$ in my bike.  It seems to me that big events cost more per racer than small meets.

I have 110% confidence in Joe & Keith, they have their work cut out for them as they transition from "family meeting" to "event".
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:43:21 AM by entropy »

Offline gsxrgirl

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
I do not mind the long lines (prefer not to have them) but this is racing. I love racing. I would just like to make sure that I am registered.

Racheal

Plus I needed a few more posts  :-)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
Racheal... do an intro post... that will give you one more  :-D
fill out your profile
Beat ya to it Jon...

Thanks for pointing out my fast finger failure....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:09:01 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
'cept he meant "intro". :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

We all seem to get the same finger problems going! :-D :-D :-D

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
Ditto Stainless comment
Everyone fill out pers info.  Its nice to know names and locations.
Inspectors  and rule makers are exempt!  Cept for Warner  :-d
Rick

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Racheal, if you don't fill in the information on the Profile -- I'll do it for you :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com