Author Topic: Flex Fuel?  (Read 7683 times)

Offline dw230

Flex Fuel?
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
Joanie just got a new 2012 Ford Escape. I noticed the flex fuel sign on the truck(?)
last night. I looked at Wikipedia and found out what I knew about the E85 deal.

My question is what does this mean to her in the real world. More expensive vrs. gas mileage? Availability? You know - just give us the 411.

Thanks in advance,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Flex Fuel?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »
Dan, Celia just bought one too last week. Her brother worked at the dealer we bought it at  and says E85 has to be .40 a gallon cheaper than gas to break even. Just like racing alcohol it uses more and has more power.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »
Well, 40 cents/ gallon -- breaks down to what percentage?  Just to keep up with price changes in gasoline, that is.  Around here E85 isn't common so i can't figure it out for myself.  Regular (87 octane no lead) is about $3.50/gallon, more or less, in Marquette county.  What's it where you folks live?

Then there's the sad fact the American alcohol fuel is made from corn more than from other stuff (like sugar cane, as in Brazil - even though sugar cane isn't very abundant in the US, or like waste cereal stalks - since biotechnology can't efficiently convert stalks to sugar - - yet).  Making the alky from corn just doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of economic sense, dang it.  I don't know where to go next -- save that I am busy shoveling a wagon-load of rotten horse manure on to the garden.  There must have been some off-gases while it was "fermenting".  Those'd run a vehicle (might smell like horse farts, of curse, but just don't follow that close behind me :evil:)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
Dan, we have owned a Flex Fuel Ranger since 2000, read my rants on the HAMB. I have used everything from E10 to E85 daily and found that 24% is what it likes best. Ran E85 for a couple years when it was dirt cheap. but you need a tnak of E10 every few tanks to get some more lube and additives in they system. PM me for more details, we can talk on the telephone thing if you like and give you my 10 year experience with it.

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
Well. let me know too... i haven't used the E85 yet and it is available here in the Sacramento market.. still been using gas since only 300 miles on the dang thing anyway. hope in breaks in soon and the fuel milage increases. only 13.7 mpg..heck the V-8 mustang i got rid of got the same gas milage.. :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
Gotta watch switching to E85 after running other fuels, the stuff will clean out a fuel system and plug up filters, mess with injectors. Run it for a couple tanks and change filters, I know from experience. We Use E85 to clean out old nasty tanks~!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
I visited Brazil a few years back and when I asked my hosts why they bought gasoline instead of the other stuff which was cheaper they told me: "The mileage is less so the cost is higher, you have to fill up more often and more problems with the fuel system."

They have all that sugar cane waste to use! They wanted to know why we would use our food as fuel?  :?

I told them because our beef prices were to low for the Argentines to compete!  :-D

The best use for it is Cachaça for Caipirinhas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacha%C3%A7a  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
The break even point in price differs with each car and local supply prices. If the local vendors are smart the E85 price point that gives the best over all revenue to the vendor is with E85 priced about 20-22% lower than regular gasoline. Some vendors cannot get that low due to poor purchasing decisions and in some cases local laws make it illegal to price that low due to "minimum markup laws".

On most cars the difference in fuel mileage between E85 and gasoline can range from a low end of 5% less fuel mileage on a well tuned conversion (ie not a FFV but a user converted car) to typically about 15% less for a Detroit flex fuel vehicle, although a few of them are horrible and get as low as 20%-25% less fuel mileage.

Different makes and models also vary in how they adjust for the new fuel. Some immediately adjust to optimum tune for E85 when switching from gasoline and others take a few tanks to get dialed in.

One other note, is that some cars get better over all fuel economy and lowest cost per mile on mixtures of gasoline and E85. The sweet spot often shows up around 60% E85 with regular gasoline, so play around with splash blending in the tank by putting a few gallons of gasoline in the tank then filling with E85.

Just like gasoline, E85 fuel blend changes seasonally to ensure good starting in cold weather. In the winter months fuel marketed as E85 may only be 70% ethanol in the northern states to get good cold weather starts, and only reach 85% ethanol blend for a few weeks in the heat of summer. In southern states where it is always warm you may never drop below 80% ethanol year round.

If the car is a high compression street rod, or turbocharged or blown muscle car you will almost always win price wise with E85 because the proper fuel is pump premium. Properly tuned in a high compression or boosted application E85 will give from 5% to almost 20% more power than pump premium.

Since modern manufacture cars are required by law to run without damage on 85 octane gasoline they are in effect by law forced to be poor E85 designs (although that may change with a few creative manufactures exploring ways around that limitation).

Unfortunately the way the CAFE regulations are written, the car manufactures have no incentive to optimize the engine for E85 so in general the flex fuel cars are good regular gasoline engines and mediocre E85 engines. The manufactures get the same benefit to their fleet average fuel economy if the engine barely runs on E85 as they would if the engine was optimized for E85 so most only make the minimum necessary changes to get acceptable performance. Home conversion very often out perform factory flex fuel vehicles both in power and fuel mileage.

When driving for economy I got 92% of my long term gasoline fuel mileage on my Subaru WRX after I converted it to run on E85 and if I flogged it hard, it ran much better and made considerably more power on E85 than I could make on pump premium and it even out performed 100+ octane racing gasoline.

Most of the flex fuel setups are pretty much black box systems, so not a lot can be done to improve them, but E85 engines typically like higher operating temperatures than you would run on gasoline.

My WRX stock thermostat was a 172 deg F thermostat (gasoline pump premium peak boost 14 psi), when drag racing it on 100+ octane racing gasoline (peak boost 24 psi) I needed to run a 160 degree F thermostat to avoid detonation. After converting to E85 I had to switch to a 190 deg F thermostat so it would warm up properly in cold weather. Before I went to the colder thermostat it would never get above 185 deg F coolant temp on a 17 mile highway commute in cold weather.

If you have the means to tweak the tune, e85 fuel likes about the same timing you would run for the engine on 118 octane gasoline. Best performance on a NA engine comes with compression ratios between 12.5 and 13.2:1, and fuel air mixtures at max power mixtures richer than you would run on gasoline (lambda .76 for my car) and highway cruise best fuel mileage at lambda 1.02 which would be about 15.0:1 fuel air mixture on gasoline.

Best place I know to find out local pricing spread on E85 and gasoline is at e85prices.com, if you have an interest in doing a conversion of an older muscle car etc. drop over to my E85 forum e85forum.net (old forum still searchable e85forum.com).

Larry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:49:17 AM by hotrod »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »
Larry,as always, knows his stuff .Thanks for a good read.

Gotta watch switching to E85 after running other fuels, the stuff will clean out a fuel system and plug up filters, mess with injectors. Run it for a couple tanks and change filters, I know from experience. We Use E85 to clean out old nasty tanks~!

Alcohol is a bi-polar solvent  like a detergent...it can dissolve in oils , and in water and as a result it can mix oil into water!!!....when there's water in yer fuel alcohol will allow the water to dissolve into the gasoline ( I hate writing that word, but I do it for yous)...trouble is there's a whole lot of other shit that will dissolve into it too.

Ask my lawnmower.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:24 AM »
Yes on cars that have old crudded up fuel systems the ethanol will rapidly clean all that gunk out and put it in the fuel filter. Typically one fuel filter change is all it takes, in a badly sludged up fuel system 2 filter changes will usually take care of it. After running E85 in a conversion, the fuel tanks look like brand new inside.

There are a few fuel system additives that do not play nice with ethanol so don't get carried away throwing after market additives in the tank trying to "improve things".

On conversions folks also need to be careful a few old fuel system components do not like ethanol (stuff manufactured prior to 1989 or so). That occasionally leads to a need to replace a carburetor float or a few gaskets but once it is all replaced with modern composition gaskets and fuel system tubing no further problems.

Water in the tank is not an issue with modern cars unless you live in a swamp due to their sealed fuel systems.

Larry

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »
Thanks for all the input.

Its Joanie's car, I won't and don't want to do any tuneup mods, chemically mixing gasolines and all the other things mentioned. She has a warranty and we will go with that.

Brian,

Tell Celia to keep her boot out of the throttle. I have gotten upwards to 29 MPG in my '05 Colorado by cooling my jets and playing Christmas tunes on the Sirius.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
As fuels go, E-85 makes an excellant subsidy for the corn farmer. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
GasolineEthanol
RON 92 111
Density 0.740.79
Heat of Combustion42.426.8
Stoichiometric A/F ratio14.39.0
Boiling Point (ºC) 20-30078.5
Enthalpy of vaporization 420845

When you consider the difficulty in a cold start, compound that with not knowing what fuel is in the tank.

There are sensors that will determine the fuel in the tank, but they are prohibitively expensive. This is still the primary method of knowing if you are running E85, E55, E20, E10 (gasohol) or E0 (gasoline)

If you have run methanol in your race car you know how cold the intake gets. The latent heat of vaporization works in the favor of the engine designer. The charge cooling effect makes a large difference in the in-cylinder pressure during the compression stroke and used on some engines. E85 is assumed on start up (worst case condition) and the cylinder pressure is evaluated on the first compression cycle. If the pressure does not meet the predicted curve the injection and spark timing are adjusted for the actual. It is a complex calculation and this is the simplified explanation.

Once the engine is running further adjustments are made with the exhaust gas oxygen sensor.

5% or less will run without modification in any vehicle. On older vehicles the rubber parts in the fuel pump and carburetor won't tolerate the ethanol. It is very corrosive. I saw a Kart engine that was left sitting over the winter with methanol in the engine and the aluminum and magnesium parts were corroded completely through.

E5-E10 requires modifications to the fuel flow. E10-E25 requires modifications to fuel flow, ignition timing, fuel pump, fuel tank, and catalytic converter.

E25-E85 requires the modifications above and changes to the engine design, acid-neutralizing motor oil, and changes to the cold start system.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
I'd appreciate some help here.  We don't have much in the way of any of the "E" fuels, so I am not familiar with them.  So -- take, for example, E85.  15% something and 85% something else, right?  Ditto the other designators -- E10 is 10% one, and therefore 90% something else. 

Let me know so I don't sound so dumb when I buy gasoline during our travels.  Thanks. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
I'd appreciate some help here.  We don't have much in the way of any of the "E" fuels, so I am not familiar with them.  So -- take, for example, E85.  15% something and 85% something else, right?  Ditto the other designators -- E10 is 10% one, and therefore 90% something else. 

Let me know so I don't sound so dumb when I buy gasoline during our travels.  Thanks. :?
In theory, It would be 85% ethanol...HOWEVER it may be as low as 70 % according to the fine print on the pump. Using E-85 makes me feel warm and fuzzy, But until it`s a half buck per gallon cheaper? I`ll stick w/ regular ol` un-leaded.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.