Author Topic: Fastest BSA  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Michael Goni

• New folks
    • My blog
Fastest BSA
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
Along the same lines as the fastest triumph thread I was wondering if any of you bonneville historians have any information on the fastest BSA.  We are currently campaigning a PSPBF-650 BSA and are wondering where we stack up in comparison, current best 158mph in the standing 1.5 mile at loring.  Definitely interested in all variation whether it be twin engined, streamlined, etc etc, but mostly interested in single engine partially streamlined classes.

Offline dw230

Re: Fastest BSA
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
Don't know about the fastest ever BSA, but these are the current SCTA-BNI records:

BONNEVILLE NATIONAL MOTORCYCLE RECORDS

125CC
P-PV   Carpe Diem      BSA      08/11     30.398

250CC
M-PG       Tim Pecenka      BSA      10/10     94.194

350CC
A-VF       Jenkins - Herrmann         BSA              08/04   105.454
APS-VF     Bill Jenkins                       BSA              08/01     97.511
APS-VG     Jenkins/Herrmann             BSA              08/01     81.903
M-PF   Ron Hughes      BSA      10/09     62.847
MPS-VF     Jenkins-Shogun             BSA              08/04   108.213
MPS-VG     Bill Jenkins                       BSA              08/04     82.445
P-PV   Ace British Racing      BSA      09/11   104.745
SC-VF      Wheel Tramps BSA      BSA      08/06     83.148

750CC
A-VF       Terry Lewis                        BSA              08/02   121.341
APS-VF     Terry Lewis                        BSA              08/02   123.654
M-VF       Terry Lewis                        BSA              08/00   122.853
MPS-VF     T. Lewis                           BSA              08/99   128.417
MPS-VG     Terry Lewis                        BSA              08/99   126.489

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
     My '76 SCTA/AMA Bonneville Nationals rulebook shows a 165.480 1000cc A-AF record set in '71 by Richard Strickland from Azusa Ca on a BSA.  If I remember right [I'll admit to some recollections getting fuzzy after 40 years], it was a Rocket 3 [with a bore kit?] with a home brewed magneto set up in a low drag type frame.  Results impressed me for what he said he had in it at the time.

I'd say you guys are stacking up real well with the turbo'd twin, '60's are in sight!  I've been keeping an eye on it since it was in the '20's at Maxton with the earlier turbo, will be looking for you at Wilmington in the spring.

Ed

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »
This is Bill in 1970. I got to drive his El Camino - he hung on the door handle up to about 60 mph and then went off on his own. ~150+ as I recall!

My first time on the salt - with a friend's BSA 650 in a crap / Hap Arnold frame. (No records - except maybe for tank slappers!)

Then got to meet Burt Munro, too! My salt infection was pretty much terminal on that day!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »
My kind of bike ... Joe

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
superb looking bsa-always good to see older race bikes and any ' different stuff ' on here.AIRCOOLED!
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline Michael Goni

• New folks
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
Hey guys, long time no talk!

Just an update, I realized that I never got to mention we broke into the 160's at Wilmington!  Official was 162.55 in the standing Mile.  At Loring we ran really good too before she broke (typical), we where near if not over 170mph before she melted. 

We are running her now with just a fuel motor (nitrous only) for now and next year we will install the freshly rebuilt blown fuel motor back in and see what happens.

Offline DKA

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »
Mike,
Its time to take your bike to Bonneville!  Even with the 15% decrease in power, your bike is still faster than the current records. The 2014 SCTA rule book does not list a 650 MPS/PBF record; so its an open record.  I'm not sure about FIM or AMA records. You and Tom have some impressive numbers with that bike so it should do well on the salt.   Then, there is always those pesky gremlins to keep you humble.   :-D
David
If it can be built, it can be raced.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »
David, I hate to be so down-sounding, but I suggest that you ask Dan Warner or someone from SCTA to verify if there's a record in the class (any class that doesn't show a record).  Once upon a time Nancy qualified her bike in a class that didn't show a record in the book, so we went to impound.  Next morning she went out and made another good run. :-D  Since it was an "open" record - that was good enough to go back to impound and inspection/verification and get the record.  Yee-hah!  But - while in impound Tom Evans came over and showed us the official list of records -- and sure enough, there was one for her class. :-(  It was about 10MPH faster than she had run, too, so it was pretty much out of reach for us at that event. :-o

We had seen the "open"-ing in the book and planned for a few months to build the bike so it could live happily down the course at least twice.  To find out that the reason there was no record shown in the book - was just a typographical error - was disappointing, to say the least.  Ever since then I've done my best to caution folks that might - just might - fall into the same mud puddle.  If it really is open - great.  Have a grand time!  And if there is a record -- well, hey - now you've got a target.  Best wishes. :-) :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DKA

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
Jon, You know I love to see your smiling face(s)!  Thanks for the record tip.  It must have been disappointing to run into that issue.  As far as breaking records, the blown fuel BSA of Mike and Tom is a well sorted out and fast machine. I feel that if there is a record, they have a very good chance of upping the record by a good number.
Sorry you got bit by the "Rule Book Typo Gremlin".  Its amazing. They are hiding everywhere! 
David
If it can be built, it can be raced.