Author Topic: 2012 SCTA Rules CHANGES  (Read 33748 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: 2012 SCTA Rules CHANGES
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
  Dang, just when I thought we were rid of "old sounding board" he reappears........... :-D
  Don't forget the sunsceen, just like Bville........... :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
  I'll just drink Franzia in the box 'til he gets back. Cheers!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jl222

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
  With Dan being gone this seems like a good time to bring up a subject that many of us often forget including me, and that is respect.
  One of the problems with being online is responding to a previous post before thinking the subject through.  I know that I have often been guilty of this very thing.
  Keep in mind that Dan (who has to spend a lot of time answering and trying to explain new rules or rewritten rules that he has no say in to those of us who are not quite smart enough to understand them.
  I can truely understand everyones concerns and angst when it comes to new or modified rules, but keep in mind that NO individual is responsible for them.
  To make a example, a lot of our fellow racers seem to have great concern about the new WING rule in competition coupe.
  This is a rule that was written by people who either have currently, or have had a Comp Coupe vehicle.
  Apparently some folks who don't have a dog in this fight have taken great humbrage with how the new rule is written.
  I wuld like to suggest that  we all who don't race in this class, refrain from commenting on the new rule change, as it doen't pertain to our classes.
  What I am trying to say here is this:  lets all cut the rule makers a little slack, especially when its not a class we run in.
  I think that most of realize what a thankless job  making rules  and enforcing them is a no-win situation. 
  Remember, we are all in this together.          Bob

Bob...would it be allright with you to post if someone was considering to run or build a comp coupe?

No sure how many on this forum run comp coupe or have replied, but if nobody objected the ruling would be thought
to be beyond inprovement.

Then you have racers that consider what Peter Jack says and would never post a disagreement with a ruling.

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
  John, here in a nutshell is what I am saying.
  Every member of the SCTA either recieved or had available to him or her the proposed new rules before they were voted on.
  If anyone had a bitch, then they should have got off there butt and made some noise about it.
  As you should recall, thanks to input from Me, yourself and a few others, we got the lateral restraint rule reduced by two inches after the rule was written.
  That was a lucky break for all of us.
  I just don't think that we should have a bitch about any rule after it is written, unless it is something blatenly in error or misguided.  If thats the case, then the proper people on the rules committee should be informed as was done with the lateral helmet restraint.
  To those who are thinking about building or entering a car in comp coupe I would say: Here are the current rules and if you don't like them, wait two years and get the rule changed.
  There is nothing that says anyone in the class has to run a wing at all.
  It is simply a rule written by folks who are trying to deal with how to prevent any more tragic blow overs and make the class safer for all........... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
Every rule change that is not done for safety generally provides an advantage for a competitor and a disadvantage for another competitor. 
Well said and essentially true!

When SCTA created the CLASSIC category there was some controversy but I have always supported the logic of it. As the OEMs designed better aero, the cars in the 60’s and 70's started to fall behind. Classic was a great way to not obsolete a large groups of cars and still keep them running. Also, the nostalgia factor is important for many and CLASSIC provides a venue for that. Now I see, with one sweeping blow, the entire paragraph that addresses the reason for CLASSIC in the first place has been deleted! Foreign cars are now allowed. I would like to know what car some SCTA associate is planning to run. This is not a complaint, only a request from another competitor. I would like to find a foreign car so I can give them some competition.  What is this super slick foreign coupe that is now in CLASSIC?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
Two things you're missing.
1) When classic came to be (I was an opponent) the SCTA left some older foreign cars out. They asked to be included in classic this year as they too were no longer competitive in the classes they were running in.
2) You will note that they are only allowed to run in "F" and under

My point of view is why not? We already have classic, why can't a Karmin Ghia run? Should it run against a Honda S2000?

The other thing that comes to mind is the rule change process goes to all the clubs and they vote on the changes, not 5 guys huddled in a corner plotting.

Also the 2012 rules have been posted for quite some time, stay informed my friends. Remember when we didn't know what was going on until May!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
I hate to see text like . . . coupe sand sedans from the “Golden Era” of American automobile production” or . . . popular Muscle Car years of Camaro, Mustangs, and Chargers deleted and wiped clean from the rule book!  Although I see your point, Mike. If there are a bunch of body styles that are falling behind and can’t compete with current OEM designs I would want to see a workable category for them so they could keep racing.

However, the “F” motor limitation is not likely a permanent restriction and shouldn’t be a justification for including them in the Category. When Classic was first introduced I think the smallest motor was “D”. It wasn’t long before “E and F” showed up. Actually, I think any motor allowed in Modified should be allowed in Classic. Although, with the current Classic motor-mod rules. There are a lot of mechanical Hilborns and carbs out there still looking for a place to reside.  :-D