Author Topic: 2012 SCTA Rules CHANGES  (Read 33823 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
2012 SCTA Rules CHANGES
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
Dan Warner has sent the rules changes (not all the rules, mind you, but just the changes for the coming year), and I'll get them posted on the home page of the site later this evening.  There are multiple pages - so I'll break it into a couple of parts so you'll have to follow the link to most of 'em.  But that's small potatoes -- we've got the coming year's rule changes BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Wait and see, okay?

All right, it took only about 10 minutes to get 'em on the home page.  'Twas easier than I feared it'd be:  www.landracing.com

Not that it's that difficult, at all, but I thought I might as well see if I could play for some sympathy. :evil:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:10:14 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

Re: 2012 SCTA Rules CHANGES
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
  Kudos to the rules committee and club reps for jumping on and finalizing the new rules.
  I promise not to bitch for at least two days, but I don't know about Stan.  After his Thanksgiving nap he might be a little cranky (too much stuffingj) if you know what I mean. :roll: :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
  Hey, they are posted (thanks Slim) and I think all of the four wheel vehicle guy's should be happy.
  It is great to see that the committee went to lengths to make some existing rules easier to read for us book challenged racers.
                                                thanx again to all who contributed, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »

WINGS for competition coupes :-o :cheers:

George will be celebrating  :-D

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
  John, if it helps keep those guy's on the ground, I am all for it, and who would be better at assessing the pro's and con's than George.  He has seen the salt looking both up and down................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
 John, if it helps keep those guy's on the ground, I am all for it, and who would be better at assessing the pro's and con's than George.  He has seen the salt looking both up and down................  Bob

Interesting to see how it will work with the lowest part of the wing a minimum of 6" above the tallest part of the body. for a un-chopped coupe that's pretty high and in my opinion a big cantilever with unwanted results.  Maybe it should read a minimum of 6" above the truck lid.

DW, and everyone who worked on the rules should be commended.  Its a thankless job, and  I am glad that there a members that volunteer their time to do it.   :cheers: Tony
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:41:34 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
   They must have made that minimum with George's coupe in mind as there is no trunk lid [or is there]?

Hopefully builders will use common sense.

Not to late to make an addition to rules.

Also to submit design of wing to contest board for approval as failure would not be on the good side.

Seems like can-am almost banned wings when early designs were failing, don't want that to happen here.

There must be design standards available that a racer could look up before constructing.  

It would be great to post them here at Landracing.com

JL222
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:59:28 AM by jl222 »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »
JL222, It doesn't have to be the trunk lid, you could use the bottom of the rear window.  The height rule for modifies roadsters was because someone used the wing to extend the back of the car  :-o (kind of like a long tail at LeMans), but the coupe class the wing is allowed in has spoilers that can extend the back like along tail.  This makes the argument used in the modified roadsters a moot point on coupes.

I think a wing rule based on aero and engineering principles should be written.  The F5000 cars with the tall wings from the late 60's found out the hard way why it didn't work so good.  I think the early Can Am wings were failing because the wing struts were mounted to the suspension on some cars and  the suspension was failing from high the down force loads. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. There are many people who give of their personal time to get you the updates and then a rulebook in a reasonable time frame. I'm just the front man.

Regards the Comp Coupe wing deal. The design as written is direct from George with assistance from Tom Burkland. If you have a problem with the rule contact them.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
Dan
if they have a problem with the rule they should have voiced their opinion at their club meeting so their rep could vote on it at the rules meeting... "AND" they should have showed up at the rules meeting at Mangelli's.... the scta gives everyone a couple of opportunities to show up and voice their opinion..... or forever hold your peace
Kent

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
Dan
if they have a problem with the rule they should have voiced their opinion at their club meeting so their rep could vote on it at the rules meeting... "AND" they should have showed up at the rules meeting at Mangelli's.... the scta gives everyone a couple of opportunities to show up and voice their opinion..... or forever hold your peace
Kent

I'll say what I want to and when I want to without any direction from you.

IF the SCTA wants to allow wings without construction guide lines they might someday regret it.

JL222

Offline manifest

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
"Issue: Foreign cars are not included in the Classic category.

5.C                  CLASSIC CATEGORY

This category encompasses American and Foreign coupes and sedans produced between 1928 and 1981 with a production rate of at least 500 vehicles of the same model for sale to the general public. Foreign coupes and sedans are limited to ‘F’ (123.00 to 183.99 cid, 2.016 to 3.014 L) engines sizes. These foreign vehicles are NOT eligible for the Season Points Championship at El Mirage during the 2012 season.

The classes within this category are intended to provide a venue for coupes and sedans from the “Golden Era” of American automobile production. Vehicles will include post-vintage cars such as the 1949-50 Ford and Mercury through the popular Muscle Car years of Camaros, Mustangs, and Chargers. Entries shall be unaltered in height, width, and contour with all stock panels, i.e., hoods, fenders, …
"

Forgive me for not reading this the way it was intended but does this "limit" mean no foreign cars may run in a class higher than F, or does it mean they may not run in a class lower than F (ie 123ci or less, or does it mean that foreign cars may only run in F class nothing larger or smaller than F?

Zach

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »
"Yes"
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
What? No restrictor plates? :-D

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
As I read the rule book there are no engine classes below "F" in Classic Category. Therefore it seems very clear that foreign sedans are limited to "F" engine class only.