Author Topic: Dunlop LSR tires.  (Read 14504 times)

Offline bharmon77

Dunlop LSR tires.
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
I need some help. I went to look at a belly tank lakester that was for sale and it has what we were told were Dunlop LSR tires? These tires are marked on the side wall "Dunlop Racing 7.00-18" thier is an S in a circle and 86H also on the side wall. These tires were purchased approx. 5 years ago and have a knobby tread pattern. I cannot find a speed rating or any other info on these tires, can anyone give an idea where to look or do you know these tires?

Offline jdincau

Re: Dunlop LSR tires.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »
I have been told that 250 is about the max, I also hear that they are more popular at El Mirage...

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
BH --- You better get building ... April is just around the corner and you won't have far to go get to the track.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
I am also looking for some info on the Dunlop vintage racing tires. I know there are a few cars running them on the salt and one person I spoke with mentioned having to shave them down a bit? Why would you have to do that? I would really hate to screw up a 1200$ set of tires.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
I have used both the 550x18" and the 700x18" Dunlops. The 550's were bought used and were worn. I rounded the edges and mounted them on 5" "tracter"  outers 5 on 5 steel centers. Total cost $550 and the benefits after 2 runs was a red hat for my son at 202 mph.
For the next year I purchased 2 new 750's from a friend who was not going to use them. I left all the tread one them and again rounded the edges. I purchased 2 new 7" wide Wheel Vintiques forged aluminum wheels also 5 on 5. Total cost $1600. The benefits was another red hat, this time for me, at 210 mph.

For me they were what made the records and were a relative inexpensive way to do it. The good thing is I have them and I'm they won't go down in value if taken car od and I guarrentee they are.....Good Luck JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Jimmy six,

Funny that you have this set of tires, the tank that my friend is looking at is GMC 6 powered. Thank you for the response it sounds like these are good tires, any other way to identify them as LSR tires?

And as for 55chevr;

If it will make you feel better I will take the long way to the race track next April, see you there.

BHarmon

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
They are not dedicated LSR tires, they were designed originally for vintage racing for Grand Prix and Roadster type Indy cars.  The LSR guys stared racing them because at the time no one was making tall LSR tires and the Indy Firestone's that most were running on were about 40 years old.  They need to be shaved like the Indy Firestone's or they will start throwing rubber at high speed.  Tony
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:41:53 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
As Tony said they are not dedicated LSR tyres but are definately used on vintage race cars. For what I used them for would probably never hurt them or cause me any trouble. Seeing them run around Montery at speed definately puts more heat into them than I ever will. The best this was to see a set on them on the 7 million dollar Auto Union that was sold recently.
Like I said I did not shave them other than making them true and rounding the edges. If you need a picture I can pull one out of my shed. I would have liked to use a 6" wide wheel but was inable to get them. With some extra $$$ I could have done them..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
I also run the 700 series (~32" tall or 101" roll out shaved) Dunlops setting a record this year at El Mirage @213. Doug Robinson has run the 30" tire to over 250 @ El Mirage too.

Here's a couple pictures. One of mine the other of Robinson's to give you an idea how they look shaved.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
Assuming the tire isn't punctured or destroyed in some way how many runs do you think up could make on a tire like this? I am planning to use these on my lakester with a target speed of under 150mph.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
At that speed I'd say tire life would be measured in years.....

The thing to keep in mind is the rubber will deteriorate over years so follow some simple thinks people on this site do to protect their tires.

Do not leave them on the car with the vehicle weight on them.

Do not leave them in direct sun light or high heat areas.

Use nitrogen instead of air for inflation

When storing tires place in a dark trash bag with little to no air in the tire and add some nitrogen to the bag as you seal it.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 06:14:12 AM »
Thanks for all of the info. and the pictures, the tires in the pics are the same that I am asking about. The guy with the car for sale did mention that they needed to be shaved and we were trying to figure out why? Now I know. The car will be run in the XO and XXO lakester class where the record is over 200 mph and we didn't know if these tires would pass tech at Bonneville or not. It sounds from your response that they have in the past.

Thanks again,

BHarmon

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
I better ask this question direct; have the Dunlop tires passed tech at Bonneville in the past for use in an over 200mph class?

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
I better ask this question direct; have the Dunlop tires passed tech at Bonneville in the past for use in an over 200mph class?

Yes we ran them on 225 record, we never went above 200 for other reasons...