Author Topic: MPS-PG-650 build  (Read 46132 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: MPS-PG-650 build
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »
You'll be the first homeless competitor!  Enjoy the Bend in the Road.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JimL

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
We're really looking forward to "full timing" for a while.  I'll be watching the board with my iPAD when I stop at those McDonalds for my "chocolate chip cookies and WiFi!" :-) :-)

It is interesting, looking at the new Modified rules, and thinking of a few of the bikes that will be moving into A class.  It looks like there will be more noticeable difference in the appearance of A and M bikes, and it will be a lot of fun building to the "new M"class.

JimL

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »
Where are you moving to, Jim?
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JimL

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:14 AM »
1996 Winnebago 29ft Brave, actual position of the rig will be determined as we go, but starting near Yuma (BLM land) and then heading east/south with the weather.  The A- bike, trailer, and gear will go to LaJunta, Colorado, along with Dans M- project at whatever stage I get it.  About late June/early July I'll be in LaJunta for a while and we'll all go to SpeedWeek from there.

The M- project is moving along well, with the chain-drive internal enclosure finished.  I've found almost 5/8" improvement in the sprocket position, which will make the bike easier to correct lateral CG.  This has to be nailed before I can finalize engine position.  I'll try to get a few more pictures up, with a little more progress, before I bail.  Thanks for the interest and thoughtful comments; it's useful when you're working alone and hoping you've not missed something important.  I still miss Willy "looking over our shoulder" in these Build Diaries. :-(

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »
Engine mounts built and engine hung; uses the original CBR mount points with all bolt-in method.  The engine will come out similar to an old Super Hawk (take every thing loose but 2 forward and swing down.)  The engine position wound up very like a Ducati (except this engine is 80 degrees, not 90.)  Rear exhaust header will be inside the bend in the right side mount tube.

Countershaft sprocket position is improved, as planned, and I'm also shortening the water pump cover to allow the carbs to position closer to the heads.  My APS bike is too long for intake tuned length.  Perhaps I'll modify it if time allows.

Stock tank and seat fit just fine, and the rear shock "more vertical" mount will clear the tank as well. 8-)  The swing arm will get about 5 more inches (a little less than the 10% rule).  I still have to pull the engine back apart and change to the closer ratio CX500 trans (chain drive gearing options make that useful).

Regards, JimL

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 06:25:32 AM »
Jim,
Is the CX motor mounted entirely from the right side?  If so, I would beef up that new tube spar you have added which fastens the motor to the frame to resist twisting.  Also, I'm sure you have already studied the fact that with the new motor position, oil pickup may need to be modified or a new oil pan made or both. Just an observation.
Tom

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
Looks great.  Can you expand on the 10% rule a little more?

Offline JimL

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
Yes, the right side is the main mount (heavy part of the block); that left case is thin and hollow.  My A- bike only uses a single left mount near the countershaft sprocket, outer shaft bearing.  This bike has 3 mount points on the left side, including the primary upper (behind the perimeter frame), and two forward (one is just below the original CBR mount).  That long lower left case mount bolt is only holding some of the "pull load" of my chain drive conversion.

The right side has two additional mounts that are behind the perimeter frame......got bolts all over the place!  The engine block is actually part of the upper casting (only on right side), and the big lower case is all very thin, similar to the left case (normally back case).  During my first build, I broke a lower case while prying on what I thought was a mount hole with a short screwdriver!....learned my lesson.

The oil pickup on these is in the front of the lower case (very front of the sump).  I also tilt the engine in my A- bike for the same reason....get the oil pickup well covered.

10% note - that's max wheelbase addition for Modified class, typically in the swingarm.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
thanks for the clarification.

Offline JimL

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:17 AM »
Geeez NRHS, how can you type...it's 9 degrees below zero, there  :-o(just talked to my mom, down the road from you).

brrrrr, it's so cold here in SoCal that the girls have got T-shirts on, over their bikinis. :cry:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
Cold in Colorado? Snow?
We had to come back to Nova Scotia from Colorado just to warm up!  If we don't stop getting this "global warming" trend, I'm going to have to mow the lawn again.
Tom

Offline RansomT

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »
Who did the crank?  offset ground or billet?

Offline JimL

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
Castillo did the crankshafts, weld up and offset ground to 59.85mm stroke (only had to move about 3mm because the original engine was only 680cc with .020" overbore).  The crankshaft is a simple single pin type, with plain bearings.

Offline JimL

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »
Just a couple of pics to show how well this engine fits the package.  Added more mounting on the left side, top shock position roughed in, finished the seal carrier and seal installation in the chain drive conversion, finish mounted the internal baffling for the chain drive (ready to install sprockets and chain at this time, but bike will get swing arm stretch in Colorado).  The flat water pump cover can be seen in the left side photo (for carb float bowl clearance).  I moved the water inlet down, and added a bleeder point in the upper curve of the original impeller case (these cooling systems are very hard to bleed; my A- bike has to be hung vertically by the back of the frame.)

Also one pic of unusual project sharing some time; helping a friend from Holland with his 6-cylinder, fuel injected Kawasaki.  He's turning it into a Cafe Racer.

JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:39 AM »
One of the "worry spots" has been the rear cylinder headpipe.  Today I found some "tight" mandrel bent tubes and started some hand-shaping of a generic exhaust flange.  I was able to fit the pipe between the head and perimeter frame with a nice radius.  The pipe can be removed and installed without moving the engine or any of the mounts/tubes!  I made my own end ring, with weld knobs behind it, spaced to allow the pipe to twist into the port and then accept the flange (which has one closed slot and one open slot to allow the "jigwaw puzzle" to go together.)

I have not put the angle-end on the pipe, to turn the exhaust outward (footpegs have to move back, so it will come later).  This pipe is using 18" header length and 14" shallow megaphone length.  The front header will be much easier, and the megs will be stacked, one below the other, with exits through the lower section of the fairing.

Regards, JimL