Author Topic: MPS-PG-650 build  (Read 46329 times)

Offline JimL

Re: MPS-PG-650 build
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
Coupla' pics from today.  The "trailer mount tabs" are welded to the bottom frame rails (which are made out of .125 x 1" tube to hold those thick tabs) and the "trailer base" is made (and bolted to my table for now).  The stock tank and seat fit just fine (which is easy when you use a stock frame).  The cooling tank is mounted, fitting between the wheel and swing arm and extending under the swing arm pivot area.  This will get a Dedenbear electric water pump, same as I use on my APS bike.

Still struggling with the belly pan fit and various repairs to the fairing that we last used on the CX500 shaft drive bike.  This is turning into a recycled cycle!

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
First pic show front suspension in "bottomed out" position.  I had to mold the belly pan to fit over the front cylinder, including the little bump for the plug cap.  The bike will have about 1.5" front wheel travel.

The second pic shows the linkage for the ProLink in its "near maximum" rising rate position.  This method is a simple way to limit travel on this type of suspension.  The rising rate is ramped very quickly at this position of the arm, so rear suspension travel is limited to about 1" at the wheel.  The third pic shows the simple method to accomplish this effect; simply make a stand to swing the rear shock up and back.  That is what pulls the linkage into the maximum "increase" range of travel.  I had to make a little room in the seat mount tube to clear the new position of the shock reservoir line.

Still plugging along.  Regards, JimL

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 03:20:01 AM »
But, It's not Orange???
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline salt27

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:39 AM »
And the wires aren't yellow. :-D

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »
Jim,
Looks good.  What method did you use to limit the front end suspension travel?  Also, as I understand, the rear linkage is changed to cause the spring rate to rise at a faster rate than standard, by changing the geometry of the linkage.  Is that correct?
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JimL

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Tom, correct about the rear linkage.  You are getting the rocker into its fastest ratio change range.  Its not a hard tail, but its real stiff after about 1/2".

On the forks I used the same method we used in the flat-tracking days.  Schedule 40 sleeves outside the tube for absolute stops, and Schedule 40 spring spacers to increase preload inside the tubes.  The outside sleeve doesnt make contact, done right, except when tied-down for transport.

That was the fix for us poor guys that couldnt afford short Betors or Cerianis.  In the beginning, we used to use steel or aluminum tubng, but aluminum against steel was bad and steel was hard to find in the right sizes.  PVC or ABS never made rust inside the tubes.

I'm suspecting sliding a flat-tracker and running straight on salt have one thing in common: you dont want the bike changing attitude when the power is held on, or chopped momentarily.  The wobbly bikes all had too soft front ends, it seemed.  And maybe too much travel?

By the way, fellows, this isnt my bike so it wont be orange! :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:24 AM »

By the way, fellows, this isnt my bike so it wont be orange! :wink:

Thank goodness we have got that cleared up  :-D
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline JimL

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:26 AM »
This sorta shows the paint scheme....still need to clear coat.  I sure miss the good lacquer spray can paint.  All we get now is pretty much junk. :x

This is the "storage" side of my garage.  I had to pull the orange bike back apart due to a battery failure and an oil leak that showed up after I was smoking in the new exhaust paint and heat wrap.  It's always something, isn't it?

I did get the engine buttoned up on this M- bike today.  Closer gear ratios and a bigger cam for this year (same cam I put in the orange whale).  I also had to move the footpegs forward, after correcting my wheelbase error from the first period of this build.

I dont know why the pic flips when you click on it.  Another iPad "feature" perhaps.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:56:20 AM by JimL »

Offline JimL

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Manifolds built, carbs mounted, throttle worked out, and fuel lines routed for the Pingle remote shut off.  There is a side view with the engine coolant inlet visible behind the carbs.  The front view, taken between the forks, shows the height difference of the carbs due to the extreme tilt of this V-twin.  The top view shows how much room is still available under the stock CBR tank.

Fun stuff, today.

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
After two days of struggle, I finally found a place for the battery.  Due to the chain drive conversion, the engine loses a lot of weight on the "new left side".  The battery needs to live as far left as possible to help balance.  This battery box swings away from the engine for access to the terminals.  I will have to make a salt cover for it, but at least its in the bike, finally.

JimL
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:55:27 PM by JimL »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
Wow Jim.  I'll bet you are the only guy who knows what everything on that bike does.  A lot of parts in a small space. 

Offline JimL

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
This seems to be the way of everything Bonneville.  By the time you get enough cooling capacity for those long pulls, there is no room left in the bike or car.  For my bikes, the biggest challenge has been learning to manage all that heat. 

Every time I turn up the horsepower, I have to add more cooling, which is how my orange bike came to need the bigger cooling tank for this year.  That bike will get a lot more difficult when I add the turbo and go back to 750 class! :-P

This thing is getting pretty close to firing up.  Not much else to pack in.

Offline JimL

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »
Finally fired it up last night.  Pretty mean sounding thing.  Starting this thing on a single battery is pretty dicey; a LOT of compression in this new set up.  I run two batteries on my A bike, but this bike is a little short on space, you might say. :-P

A lot of work yesterday with both heads back off and the final drive case off...again.  I made some carb changes, got the water pump mounted and pumping, a toe shield for the right foot, and a chain guard with side protection for the rider.  You can see the red gas tank in one pic, sitting on my A bike trailer; just the tailpiece to finish fitting and the last of my spray can paint job to finish.

This bike hoists into my flatbed with the crane on the trailer.  The crane swings out to the side of the trailer, I pick up the bike, and then back the flatbed under it and let it down to bolt its bracket to the truck.  It gets transferred to Dans trailer when we meet on the salt.

Still a few more days work and then start hustling to get my old truck ready for another run to Utah.

JimL

Offline salt27

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »
Looking good Jim.

It will be at least one more week before we get our bike running.

See you later, Don

Offline JimL

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »
I bet you can get yours running without hitting the valves on the pistons! :oops:

I swear this hobby is going to make me pull my hair out....wait...I don't hardly have any hair...I guess that solves that problem. 

Give me a shout when you are about ready, and I will break away for a little visit to your shop.  I've actually been splitting time with the bike project and my "cable tramway" I'm building on my property (took a ride on it Saturday last!)  Pretty exciting, hanging your derriere on a Chinese winch with a plastic cable drum. :evil:  We tested it by loading me and about 200 pounds of rocks on the tram, and having Jeanne run me down the track and back up.  She thinks its a labor saving device for her to access her lower garden area, but I just like to build weird stuff. :wink:

At least it started and ran on the very first try, unlike a certain red motorcycle on my build table.

JimL