Author Topic: 1legs 1993 Chevy C/MP or C/PP build.  (Read 9809 times)

Offline 1leg

1legs 1993 Chevy C/MP or C/PP build.
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »
Decided I would start a build diary for you guys to help me with my build. I’ll start with why build a truck. This truck belonged to my dad that passed away in February 2011. He was very proud of this truck and everyone identified him with this truck. It’s kind of a long story so no need to tell you everything just that the truck will always be with me. I have no need for another 4wd truck and it needs a lot of work to make it a dependable daily driver. My dad was a hot rodder all his life and would be very pleased with his truck land speed racing.
About me:
I have been going to El Mirage off an on for over 20 years as a spectator. Been drag racing for 20 plus years, stopped about 4 years ago and sold everything. I have some welding and metal fabrication skills. I love the desert and camping. My Nephew Ben (16) is turning into a car nut like his uncle and his grandpas. I hope this build will give him the experience and inspiration for him to continue.
The Goal:
Build a safe, reliable and somewhat inexpensive Modified or Production Pick-up to race at El Mirage (Bonneville if funds allow) that family and friend can enjoy going racing with. I want to build the truck inexpensively but spend the money needed on quality safety equipment. I want to go overboard on the safety stuff because I hope my nephew will get the chance to drive the truck in the future.
The Plan:
What class, C/MP or C/PP
I need to decide if I want to keep the 4wd in the truck. The modified class record is 156 the production record is 162. I really don’t see me going after a record for a while. Going 2wd would be cheaper in the long run I think? I don’t have money for a quick change, blower or engine change. I can take all the 4wd stuff out now and install it later if I think it will help performance in the future. Any advice?

I have no expectation on when this will be completed and ready for El Mirage 1 year 2 years maybe. Work will begin in the next few weeks
Picture of the truck after getting it home
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline 1leg

Re: 1legs 1993 Chevy C/MP or C/PP build.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »
Buy a good welder; I’m leaning toward a Miller MIG that runs on 220v house dryer outlet. I want to do all the work on this build myself.

Build a cage that exceeds safety standards, I have a little experience with this and I also have friends that have experience with drag race chassis building. I will need a lot of help from you guys on making sure this is built right for dry lake racing. Plan to use 1 ¾” .134 wall DOM. Not sure if I will build from scratch or buy a cage kit as a starting off point. If I build from scratch I will need a cheap tube bender or borrow one.

Suspension, I will first lower the truck as low as I can and still have a front end that can be aligned. I might need to make some new front control arms. For the rear I already have a locker in the rear with 3.42 gears.  I would like to add a track location bar and a 4 link to the rear in the future. I will also go thru and replace all rusted hardware, remove the antilock and power brakes and do a complete brake job. 

Engine and transmission will be simple. I have two small blocks, the stock one that’s in the truck and one that came out of my 3/4ton suburban. So I will need some good heads, my friend has some old ported fuelie heads that might get me started. Headers and Holley carb will top off the engine. If I can make 400 hp I’ll be happy at first. I’m really not sure what transmission to run. It needs to be an automatic because I can’t use a clutch (missing left leg). I have a 700r4 that would need a complete rebuild and converter. I looked into the parts to rebuild it will cost around $600. The advantage over a th350 or th400 is the lower first gear and lock-up converter. I’m kind of leaning toward a th350 without the converter only because I think it is the cheapest outfit and it should work well for El Mirage. I plan to learn how to do the transmissions myself then teach my nephew.

Wheels and tires: The current record at Elmo is 156/162 so a Z rated tire should work fine. I found some Z rated tires that should work on my stock 16” wheels however I’m not sure my stock wheel are legal. They are aluminum but uses acorn style lug nuts. I will try and find some steel spare tire wheels. I will need some guidance from you guys on this. Plus the steel wheels will let me run disk wheel covers.
Body will remain stock and I might even leave the paint for now it’s not a bad looking truck

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:18:10 AM by 1leg »
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
Start with some Vortec heads they are the best low buck--bang for the buck
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »
Definitely get a 220V welder, but set it up on a dedicated 50A welder circuit.  If I'm not mistaken, most dryers are 30A circuits.  Do it right with the 50A circuit and outlet.  You will be happy and safe in the long run.

Steve M.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Definitely get a 220V welder, but set it up on a dedicated 50A welder circuit.  If I'm not mistaken, most dryers are 30A circuits.  Do it right with the 50A circuit and outlet.  You will be happy and safe in the long run.

Steve M.

Also leave yourself plenty of slack for the power cord. If you think 15' is, add 10' or more. You will be glad you did. :-D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:19:49 PM by Captthundarr »
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline 1leg

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the info on the welder, ill check on the 30 vs 50 amp. I'm currently renting this place so I'm not sure ill be able to change it if I had to.

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline 1leg

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
Well alot has changed, But I still have the truck and i still plan to build it into a LSR. Just getting back to working on it after about a year of it being parked in the garage. The buget is even tighter now but i need to get back to working on it. I hope to have some updated photos in the next week or so.
Going for C/MP and i'm going to remove all the 4wd parts.

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline DND

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
Hi 1 Leg

You might think about getting a TIG welder, then you weld it all thick - thin - alum - stainless etc

You won't regret it, been tig'n for 50 yrs

Sounds like a neat project

Don

Offline 1leg

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
Hi 1 Leg

You might think about getting a TIG welder, then you weld it all thick - thin - alum - stainless etc

You won't regret it, been tig'n for 50 yrs

Sounds like a neat project

Don

I agree, buying the welder is not in the budget for know. Work has a nice MIG that i can borrow to tack things together. Then i will need to haul everything to work to do the finish welding. We have TIG and MIG at work for me to use.
The first order of business is to get the ride height right, Get the TH350 rebuilt and installed and get the truck running. After it is running it will be easier to load and unload on a trailer to haul to work for the cage build. First big purchase will be a seat, plan to buy a full containment kirky.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Truck classes are hard. We run D/PP. Some pretty stiff records in all of them.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

T, I wasnt aware of any easy classes in LSR  :-D

Offline 1leg

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »

You trying to scare me away?  8-), don't worry i years maybe decades away from any records. plus i'm mainly going to ELMO events.

I'm pretty much married to this truck. it's a family Heirloom, plus it's free, the truck,  not building it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:51:23 PM by 1leg »
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:08 PM »
Hard is what makes them fun!

Offline 1leg

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
I got some work done this weekend.

Lowered, Cut out the stock torsion bar front suspension. I’m Going to replace with coil over shocks. This will let me fine tune the height. Truck is sitting on mock up 225-65-16 tires. The rear is only a little lower then stock. Thinking about doing an axel flip or move the spring perches up. Moving the perches is free. I plan to run a 225-60-16 in a V-Z rating at all 4 corners.

I’m planning on removing the TBI and replacing with 4 barrel intake/carb and HEI dist. I plan to hit the swap meet for an old torker manifold or something along those lines.

Removing the computer and wiring

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:34:59 PM by 1leg »
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013