Author Topic: ECTA announes a new motorcycle engine class  (Read 14741 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
ECTA announes a new motorcycle engine class
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »
The new class will be for twin cylinder overhead cam motorcycles. The designation will be OCT. You will be able to complete in all frame classes with this engine. We expect a lot of older café racer style bikes getting dusted off and coming out to race with us.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
Re: ECTA announes a new motorcycle engine class
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. What do you think, Murf?

LittleLiner

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
I like the idea of this class.  It was enjoyable watching that Victory Twin last June at Maxton.

This will likely be spelled out in the 2012 rule book but in the mean time I have a few questions.   

Will OHC Twins be restricted to run as an OCT or can they elect to run in a non-twin class?   I suspect some of the lower displacement class records for inline 4s or v4s might be in striking distance for a twin to hit the record.

Will a single cylinder OHC engine run with the 4 cylinder bikes or do they run with the OCT bikes?

In classes where dual engines are allowed, would a bike with two OCT engines still be in the OCT class?   

Will the OCT engine classes include all existing displacement breaks?   50cc, 100cc, 125cc, 175cc, 250cc, etc., etc . . . .?  Although I can't recall any 50cc OCT engine there were (are) 125cc OCTs.  And, if OCT includes singles, there are some OHC 50cc singles

I am giving consideration to adding an OCT bike to my racing efforts next year. . . .

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
Oh Art, let me share with you the probability that an OCT would be a threat to the other engine configurations in non pushrod classes that are over say, 500cc. NONE. Of course I would have loved to see this class 5 years ago; but it's still a great idea to also bring out all those Japanese bikes that aren't included in Vintage classes. I know you are better in math than to confuse single and twin -- are you working up to 2 single jug engines in one frame you "young" fox?

LittleLiner

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Oh Art, let me share with you the probability that an OCT would be a threat to the other engine configurations in non pushrod classes that are over say, 500cc. NONE. Of course I would have loved to see this class 5 years ago; but it's still a great idea to also bring out all those Japanese bikes that aren't included in Vintage classes. I know you are better in math than to confuse single and twin -- are you working up to 2 single jug engines in one frame you "young" fox?

I am imaging your Triumph with either Da Murph or Thomas in the saddle . . .
Yes, I know the difference between a single and a twin.  I can still count that high . . usually. 

Actually I was thinking about a pair of Ducati 750s in an A (special construction) frame, naked on fuel.  A/OCT F 1500cc
Of course I'd need to find someone to ride it . . .

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »
neither of the two pilots you mentioned would be a bad choice ... Joe

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
Given my rather slow and limited mind, I hadn't thought about twins other than in-line until you mentioned the Victory. I thought my bike -dare I say it -  with me up could have a chance to be competetive. Yes Deb has a far better speed on it than I do and Thomas would do better as well. My thoughts about this pursuit has changed completely after considering v-twins. SV-650 would be my top choice for several engine classes and power adders. The Victory is a great bike (if I ever get another big cruiser that's my preference) but it's not a Ducati or Honda SR51(?)

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
RC51 - one of the most beautiful bikes ever made & I don't tend to prefer Hondas.

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
And it doen't hurt that a certain American rider with the alias "Badger" took one to a world title :-D
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline JHerheim

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Cool news. -  though I'm late to the par-Tay

I'm pretty sure there will be two Ducs out in July. 

Offline edinlr

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
You have to think that the 750, 1000, and 1350 classes will all be Ducati property.  Just not many of the other twins that are that well developed.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »
time will tell.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
Just to clarify
 The new engine class designation is called "Overhead Cam Twin" or OCT. On page 80 section 7.D.2 is says the designation is T or TG for gas and TF for Fuel. So to run in the OCT class you put a " T "sticker on the bike ?  Example would be Modified / Gas,750 Overhead Cam Twin. Should read . M/G 750 T and not M /G 750 OCT. I am printing stickers and want to check.
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline 46champ

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
You have to think that the 750, 1000, and 1350 classes will all be Ducati property.  Just not many of the other twins that are that well developed.
You seem to be forgetting a certain maligned model of bike from a manufacture from Wisconsin.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »
RacerX9623,
It would be M/TG 750/4. The designation is Frame Class / Motor Class, Fuel Type and Motor Size / Stroke
Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com