Author Topic: SFI Bell Housing  (Read 15093 times)

Offline BHR301

Re: SFI Bell Housing
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »
Nathan, I appreciate your perspective..I just remember how many 1/4" shields I saw blown open or bent back in the days before the safety bellhousing was perfected, I was just thinking that as long as a 6.1 bellhousing can be fitted to the engine inside a 1/4" steel scatter shield the extra protection won't be wasted. Thank you everyone for your input and ideas..

Bill

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »
Or you could contact Wilcap about an adapter to an existing 6.2 or 6.3 shield

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Bill, just remember whatever you do, any fuel lines running past your SFI or 1/4 inch shield need to be outside the frame rails, in heavy wall tube or have an additional shield (3.1)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
Bill,
If I might pipe in again, and save you some work.
Clutches and Flywheels seldom fail these days.  Especially on the salt.
I would suggest that a 9 inch clutch will handle the power you will make (and have some engine reliability).
I am currently turning a 2.3 to 9500RPM and not having difficulty with alum flywheel, single 9" clutch disc and a lighter weight pressure plate.  (alum, with steel insert).  Because of the higher engine speed, I am looking at a twin disc clutch, but for the next couple of seasons I don't think it is really necessary.

Do, look at how much wear you get with lots of chassis dyno testing.  I had a clutch failure in 98 when we had about 6 trips to the chassis dyno and some track testing with the bonneville gearing.  (lesson learned).

I am a proponent of OVER engineering/designing a LSR car, but don't and wont use much more than I have now.   Pay attn to stainless.  The additional 1/4" plate or 1/4" wall tube around the fuel line where it passes the plane of the flywheel is like everything, the minimum requirement.  For the most part, weight is your friend.
My old Merkur was 4200 lbs ready to run on the salt, and it still spun the tires if boost came up too fast.
Good luck with your buld .

LONG LIVE THE PINTO MOTOR
Rick

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
Nathan, I appreciate your perspective..I just remember how many 1/4" shields I saw blown open or bent back in the days before the safety bellhousing was perfected, I was just thinking that as long as a 6.1 bellhousing can be fitted to the engine inside a 1/4" steel scatter shield the extra protection won't be wasted. Thank you everyone for your input and ideas..

Bill

Okay, just don't want you to think that you're required to do both.  Obviously safer is probably better and never bad but there's always the expensive of time and $. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member