Author Topic: lsr virgin question  (Read 6983 times)

Offline jackflack

• New folks
lsr virgin question
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
I have a 07 corvette coupe. what would I need to run at wilmington and what is my max speed with a stock car.what safty equip. would be needed besides a approved helment.

Offline redcatch

Re: lsr virgin question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
WElcome.
Join ECTA when you join you will get a rule book. It has all the answers. You must have a rule book.
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
Welcome and let me be the first to to give you the most important piece of advice. Contact the ECTA and get a rule book. You could run "Time only", under 135mph With long sleeve cotton shirt, cotton long pants ect., but it is recommended that a minimum SFI3.2A/1 drivers suit is used. Be safe and have fun.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jackflack

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
If I need to buy A bunch of safty equipment to run I probably can't afford to do it this coming year. If i could go 150 with just a helment that I could swing. I'm not looking to go 200, I just want to try it. In this computer age I was hoping for a simple answer quickly. I'm trying to decide if I should order a rule book or not. I have drag raced the car and drag raced bikes for many years back in the 80's.

Offline jackflack

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
Speedway motors has a suit/gloves /shoes/ neck pad for about 200. A good helment looks like 250. I'm trying to figure out if i can afford it. I got a good job but have many motor related hobbies.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
To run at Wilmington you will have to join the ECTA and you'll get a rule book. We've been at it for 3 years and started with the wife's Kia spectra. We are currently finishing our "91 camaro for Wilmington. This stuff is addicting.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline gofast

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
You can't go over 135 without a roll cage. But come to the track and have some fun.
Speed is addicting.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:28 AM »
Come as you are and do the time only pass. When you get home you will sell off all you other distractions . Then you will have the money to go land speed racing . Haha .  :-D
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:19:03 AM »
The guys here always start with the Join the Club and get a Rule Book. Not a bad Idea but you have a credible question and shouldn't have to spend the money to join and then find out you really don't want to do this.

This is info I posted on another Forum, you have a particular Problem, right after no Convertibles.

"They do have a Street Category which is ECTA Only. and a Time Only Class for under 135 MPH, No Roll Bar, No Fire system, No Toe Strap on Accelerator, Factory Seat Belts (3 Point). No Convertibles, or Plastic Body Cars. you get a 5 MPH cushion before having to do alll the Safety Stuff."

The biggest deterrent I running into recruiting Ohio Racers to Wilmington is the Safety Tech. Almost everyone to a man (person) is "Hey I'm NHRA Legal, you guys are nuts on the inspection."

They, of course, don't understand the implications of running a mile and Safety Crew response times, and that YOU are responsible for your safety not the Fire Truck and Track personnel. This isn't the Saturday Night Drags, but there are a lot of those people here.

maybe we need a NHRA Class  :-D
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
The best advice before you spend any big money is to show up in April.

Listen to and attend the Rookie Meeting.
Browse the pits, look, listen and talk to the other racers.
Watch how the event is run, watch the cars and bikes.
You will get the FEVER !!!
Then you can make time only passes in a stock car at 135mph or less.  This can be done with factory 3 point belts, long sleeve shirt and blue jeans, good shoes, gloves and an SA2005 Helmet.

After all this if you get hooked, then you can look into a bolt in cage, Fire Suit and be able to go up to 150 or even 175 depending on upgrades and equipment you go with.

Come out in April to watch and learn,, your questions will be answered for sure then...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:49:13 AM »
Sage advice from an old pro .... good thoughts Charles.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
Not trying to be a booger here, all good advice from these folks. But to make a pass you gotta join. A small spectater fee to watch and learn,money well spent and $50 bucks to join and you can start having the most fun with you can have with your clothes on. :-D

LittleLiner

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »

You can get a rule book for about 10 bucks without joining.  Of course the book is included with the $50 membership so it is only $40 more than just buying the book.  Or you can see the rules for free by going to the Loring Timing Association (LTA) web site.  They have a copy of most of the rules available on-line.  Their rules are 99% identical to the ECTA.
Go here  http://lta-lsr.com/HowToRace.aspx and look at the right side of that web page to see various parts of their rules book.

Concerning the 07 corvette -  I seem to recall that there was an 07 or 08 vet that was allowed to run higher speeds than the 135 limit at Maxton.  I might be wrong and in any case I don't recall the details.  Plus that exception might have been a one time deal or might have been changed since . . Try to get in touch with Joe Timney or Keith Turk for the real facts.

Even if you don't run the first time out, come to the event anyway, go through rookie orientation (you can do that even if you are not entered and not a member), offer to volunteer for a few hours.  You will learn a ton and not have to spend a dollar except for a few bucks at the gate.   You might even meet someone that would be willing to lend you a helmet . . . 

You won't regret this.. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
He might after he dumps his life savings into a car ...

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
I told Keith that they should learn from the drug dealers business plan.  The first run is free but the NEXT run is $200.  Get 'em hooked then sock it to 'em.

But seriously, it IS a blast.  I'd love to see you put a 'cage in that 'Vette so we can see what one of those could REALLY run.  Like a Subie WRX or a new-style GTO, I don't think anyone has brought one equipped so we can see what it would actually do.  It's possible to make a bolt-in cage that meets our requirements but can come out.  Bob Self's Ford GT had a great example installed by (IIRC) S&W Race Cars.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer