Author Topic: Suzuki Triple Two-Stroke 380  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Suzuki Triple Two-Stroke 380
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
I've "inherited" an old Suzuki 380 triple.  It's been in dry storage for a while - like about 10 years.  A year or two before going to storage it was running, albeit poorly.  It needs a good carburetor guy, for sure.  I'll take and post some photos if you'd like 'em - but I won't get those for another day or so.  It's the factory green.

If you'd be interested at all -- please let me know.  Price is pretty much up to demand.  It's here in the Upper Peninsula, but we can deliver it to either Wilmington, Ohio, or Bonneville -- when we next go to either place.  It could be shipped, or it could best of all be picked up by you so you'd have it for a winter project.  Let me know.

I think it is late 70s through early 80s.  I have no documentation at all.  I THINK the owner/previous owner will have a title hidden somewhere as she did have it licensed back when it ran.

Want this 380/Triple Suzook?  Post or PM or email.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Suzuki Triple Two-Stroke 380
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »
My step-father has one of those sitting in his garage.  Don't think it has ran in 15 years or more.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
Here's some further information.  I took photos today while out at the storage business -- but forgot to post them here.  Ill do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, it was last licensed in 1993 (so says the tab on the license plate).  It has non-production handlebars (ape hangers) and a non-production sissy pad back rest for the passenger.  It also has "crash" bars in front of the engine.  I don't think any of those three items would be difficult to change to get it back to production.

It is dusty and dirty from having been in the loft of the warehouse at our ex-business for a bunch of years.  It was never below freezing, for what that's worth, but there was lots of dust - we ran a large paper shredder (1,500#/hour) and that thing makes DUST!  I haven't cleaned the bike.  It's now in one of our RV storage buildings - dry but no heat other than what nature supplies.  The tires have no air in 'em - but I don't know if they leak or it all just oozes out during the past decade and more.  The side panels behind the engine are gone - that is, the panels that cover where I presume the battery would go and where the oil tank (?) is on the right.  Again -- you might well be able to find some of them on line.

One person has shown mild interest, but didn't ask for it/buy it.  I'll try to answer more questions, and really -- I'll get those photos here tomorrow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
Could it be a GT380 Ram Air ?

pics please
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »
Well, Charles -- It does say "Ram Air" or "Ram something" on either side of the top fin/shroud.  Really -- I'll post those pics in the morning.  They're at the laser engraving store in the laptop there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
Ram Air System

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/GT380.shtml

Back in the day when I was turning wrenches in Florida we had a customer that rode his GT-380 over 40,000 miles. They were really nice machines that mostly no one wanted. Everyone wanted an RD-350 or -400 Yamahammer or CB-400 Honda!  :-(

From the link. "You could read in the Cycle World magazine in 1976: ”The GT380 is like going to the movies with your sister: Nothing wrong with it, but more exciting alternatives spring readily to mind.”
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Dutch

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:15 PM »
Slim do you have a number you are looking for i am a Suzuki nut and this might be a fun project if the price was right
Thanks Rich

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
First of all, no -- I don't have a price in mind.  I'd most likely give any proceeds to Jean, the lady that now owns it.  Maybe I'd use it for landracing.com.  Maybe I'll take the proceeds from the sale and buy an island in the South Seas.  Make an unreasonablly high offer and we'll start from there.

We got about a half-foot of snow last night, but I can eventually go out to the storage place and shoot more photos if you need to see something else.  Let me know.

About a price:  Seriously, make an offer and I'll ask Jean what she thinks it's worth to her.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
A Suzy trip with ape hangers and a sissy bar?!?!

Jon, this bike is so wrong on so many levels, I'm tempted to buy it.

Does it turn over, and does it produce a spark?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
Dang, Chris, you're gettin' kinda picky, ain'tcha?  I tell you what -- for about $XX each I'll answer your questions, soon's I get over to there and give it a kick.  I'll have my grandson kick while I have Nancy hold onto the spark plug wire.  Me?  I'll record the entire test sequence, including Nancy's jumps in the air if and when if does spark.  But don't think that video will be shown without compensation to her.

Realistically -- now you've asked a question that'll take a key to answer.  I don't know if Jean still has it -- and if I do -- it's well-hidden.  I can use the kick starter to spin things -- can't get the ignition on, though.  So no spark tests, no Nancy jumping videos.

By the way, it's parked with a new neighbor that got put into storage yesterday.  Already there was the '66 'Vette 427 4-speed convertible, and now there's a '67 Alfa-romero ragtop next to the Corvette.  The bike is right where it needs to be to show the finest points of both cars.

By the way, one fellow here has offered real money for the bike.  Since that person has made a money offer -- I'll wait to see if anyone else is serious before telling him that he could have the bike.  With his offer -- the bike would go away, but Jean, the owner, won't be going for early retirement. :|
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
Who'd have thunk it?  I've had two offers, the highest being $250 and he'll pay the shipping/wait to get the bike next time we meet at a race event (the first one would pay shipping, too).  And a third and fourth have asked for the current price -- so I'm listing it.  Really -- I'm not trying to get zillions on this - but maybe one of youse folks really wants it.  Let me know, please.

By the other way, I looked on eBay and didn't find one, although there are lots of parts available - things that the bike'd need to run in production, like side covers, for instance.  The only Suzuki triple I found was a '75 750 - the Water Buffalo -- "buy it now" for $1000, with no bids.  There you have it.  If you find the 380 someplace for sale - how about letting all of us see it and the price?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
Dang, Chris, you're gettin' kinda picky, ain'tcha? 

You've seen my build diary - you know better than that!

For reasons only she will divulge, Mrs. Midget has thoughtfully requested that I keep the number of spoked wheels in the garage to 5 or less, so unless I convert the MGB over to Dunlop racing wheels, I'll respectfully have to pass on this one.

But wow, I really see a lot of potential for a junkyard dog street build.  I'm seeing it in my mind's eye with a set of cafe bars, struts, remove the fenders, a bicycle seat, and to heck with the expansion chambers, three straight pipes, wrapped.

That's a great looking engine.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
ah, the "Ram Air Sytem" and three pipes into four....this was a no-fuss form follows function machine....er well, now when you posted it yesterday and I saw the mention of the hangers and the sissy bar I thought exactly what Chris said....... it's so wrong it's right!

with no expansion chambers Chris you'd have to push it up to speed before you got on it though.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »

with no expansion chambers Chris you'd have to push it up to speed before you got on it though.

I'm familiar with that process . . .