Author Topic: Flying a Wounded Duc  (Read 2318 times)

Offline MiltonP

Flying a Wounded Duc
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
Great finale despite no new top speed at Maxton for me.  After sorting out some shifting/bodywork issues on my Ducati 996, thanks to KC from Casper for the grinding, I went back out Sunday morning to give the new bodywork another run under much better conditions.  I ended up backing out and making a 146 pass after the bike was pulling hard to the right.  I knew that the unfinished front chin of the body wasn't helping, as Todd from Twin Jugs also noted, but something was nagging me.  I seemed to remember the bike pulling to right when I took her to the drag strip without this bodywork to practice launches last year.  I had attributed that to bad form but mentioned it to Ducpond when I took her in last week to correct various issiues and add a few upgrades for next season.

Turns out pulling right wasn't bad form.  The spacer in the right fork had cracked a weld and the cap was crushed leading to no tension on the spring.  Lesson learned.  Even if I think something might be due to my lack of experience still mention it to your mechanic/shop if you aren't DIY!  The shop had heard of these failures but had never seen one in person before this. I still plan to get the bodywork straight but at least I now know it didn't result in that much pull on its own.  Hope everybody has a great offseason.  I am working the shop quick to beat the line up of road racing bike work for next season.  I retired my yellow helmet and boots so I will blend in a bit more next season though that loud clutch will still let you know I am coming!

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: Flying a Wounded Duc
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »
Glad you found a cause.  It's when you can't find anything wrong that they'll drive you NUTZ!

See you in Ohio
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
My attempt at a third pass was aborted after multiple shutoffs at 7000 rpm.  Today the shop was able to determine the chip was behind that issue so as far as I know all known problems are now accounted for!  I am sure they won't be my last but at least the slate is clean heading into next season.  See you in April!  :cheers:

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
Similar but REALLY different.  My Chinese scooter has a terrible head shake from time to time at about 25 MPH or so.  I called a scooter shop in CA and he said it's not a common issue.  Anyone out there have a clue?  Maybe this should get it's own thread but it was sorta the same issue as the Duc (a little).

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer