Author Topic: Short manual transmissions...?  (Read 13585 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Short manual transmissions...?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
I think it's an M-20 in Jack's Tank. In all the pictures I have the Battery box is in the way. I'll ask Paul (Jack's Son). I never missed a shift with it.  :cheers: I felt solid and precise to me. Me? I'm running a C-4 with a shortened tailshaft. Wayno

Wayne, I have all the parts to start working on my setup ala Jack. Other than Sumners pictures do you have any better details on it?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
Trent, here is an excerpt from Jack's interview with Bill Hoddinot.
. " I have a Hurst shifter
with cables to operate the Muncie four-speed, which has the tailhousing
removed.  Replacing that, for space considerations, is a plate made by
Ron Benham that holds the rear bearing and seal; and supports the
special mainshaft that just has a coupler to the 8" Ford centersection."
Hope this helps. Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
Hope this helps. Wayno

Thanks, thats about what I knew. I will keep plugging away.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
Hope this helps. Wayno

That's odd, are you sure the bearing is in the rear plate? The actual box in ours is unaltered, the bearing remains in its original spot. We kept the same shaft, my only concern with it is that there was a narrow waisted section between the reverse and the output spline, that is now gone so the shaft is likely more prone to fracture under shock loads.All we did was shorten the shaft and make the rear plate.Done.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Goggles, why would I be sure of anything? I just cut and pasted Jack's words from the interview. I'll be talking to Waters soon. Perhaps he has some insight. Kisses. Wayno

Offline jdincau

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
Perhaps the plate had provisions for the bushing and oil seal for the driveshaft slip joint?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Goggles, why would I be sure of anything? I just cut and pasted Jack's words from the interview. I'll be talking to Waters soon. Perhaps he has some insight. Kisses. Wayno

It was reading that interview years ago that I had my Akerue! moment.It was the perfect solution to our requirements for a shortened gearbox, it's just that I read the article two years after I worked it out myself, actually I wasn't quite myself when I worked it out.

I'd had a few beers, at the time I was single and so I tended to spend a bit of time in the kitchen where the library of car books and the computer was. I'd already had the recommended daily dose and was experimenting with a radical homeopathic method based on the premise that if some is good lots is better. I was looking at an exploded view of the three speed Muncie as we had a few lying around and figured it would do just fine for us, but it was too long. I went to the fridge to retrieve my repeat prescription .....while I was away the page of the manual flipped over to the next page which had an exploded view of the 4 speed. When I got back I sat down and looked back at the exploded view....."hmmm that's weird?....what's that stuff in the extension housing.....what's that spline?" after a few more seconds I realised what had happened and quickly realised the 3 speed was no use to us, or at least the mainshaft in it. Fortunately when I woke up the next morning I remembered having some sort of revelation, and having not cleaned up it didn't take me long when I went back to the kitchen to work out what had transpired.I put the question to Colonel Grumm...." why can't we just chop off the shaft at that second spline and collapse the extension housing?"...he gave me the standard face shrug which means "dude, go for it". I lopped off the front flange of the extension housing , and then the oil seal housing from the rear,I had to get the 20mm Al plate water cut to fit around the bolt holes in the flange and to get the hole in the middle. Then we took it to an old fella who had a "pie-warmer" Tig and he welded it up and then machined it true (he had his own homebuilt electric car which he'd been driving for over 25 years, played drums and piano and also had his own views on hi-comp lpg conversions having a 13.5:1 327 with 300,000miles on it).Jeez I thought I was clever. A month or so later one of the club members came over....."Where'd you get that speedway box?"...."Speedway box?" ....." yeah, that shortened Muncie, that's what they use in Speedway cars"........ I casually replied that "I put it together" leaving out the bit where I came up with the whole brilliant idea in the first place :oops:

Yesterday at work we were guffawing at someone's suggestion that "we get some young people in with some fresh ideas"......I said , "yeah lets get some people in who aren't old enough to remember why their ideas didn't work last time they were tried".....

Perhaps the plate had provisions for the bushing and oil seal for the driveshaft slip joint?

precisely.

Kisses. Wayno

it's only lunch time here Wayno,  :roll:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:30:37 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.