Author Topic: Classing a Chevrolet SSR  (Read 18748 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Classing a Chevrolet SSR
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
 We ran in C/MMP and got the record this year so that SSR definitely caught our attention. It is a beautiful build and they seemed to have spared no expense on it. I guess we should be looking out for it if they can get it dialed in. They told us the handling was pretty scary and it would get loose when it shifted. I don't believe they cracked 200mph and we set the record at 219mph so maybe we have some time before we need to worry about them.

I guess from what everyone says here, it really should be considered a pickup. I am sure the MP guys wouldn't like it in their class because it is smaller and may present an advantage. I also think that it is at a disadvantage in MMP since it's width and the bulging fenders can't be helping out in the drag department.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
Just goes to show you that money doesn't buy you a record or red hat.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
Yeah but wrenching your butt off on someone else's truck does  :cheers:
615-210-1605

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 08:38:35 AM »
Just goes to show you that money doesn't buy you a record or red hat.

DW

That's the truth right there, you need a LOT of Money :-D just for the Hotel at Speedweek!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Everything evolves...That's why the newer more aero pickups will take over in time what the old box pickups did in the past. It just takes time.

Vintage and Classic has brought some parody but people will continue to push those envelops to.

There are some vehicles which meet the rules (questionable on the spirit) but are butt-ugly to other competitors and they would never build one in that fashion. It's the nature of the beast looking for an advantage.

I personally don't like any pickups that were clearly based on car body parts being allowed in the pickup class, foreign or domestic, but I would run what was allowed and would give me the most advantage. Hey that's racing. You do it until things change.....Good luck and keep building new ones.

PS: wish so many non racers didn't "occupy" speed week.............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

That's why I like WOS, but then, I've been a squatter myself at Speedweek.

Regarding the classifications, that the rules single out the El Camino and the Ranchero in their wording indicates just how seldom classification rules are looked at for an update.  It's been 24 years since the last Elky rolled off of the assembly line, 32 for the Rancho.

If their design parameters are what are being used to define a class of currently built cars, either by inclusion or omission, it's inadequate, at best.

I don't know that more classes are the answer - indeed, probably not, but I do think 40-50 year old benchmarks probably need to be revisited. 

And personally, as an aside to another thread, I think permitting modified Studebaker heads should be included in that discussion.

My 2 cents - worth maybe half.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
Chris,

It takes someone with the movtivation to move the rules forward to currently available equipment.

The modified Studebaker heads are legal, just not in the Production classes.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »

Look at it this way, they help pay the bills. They buy tee shirts, pay to get on the salt, etc. In turn that pays for the Andy Gumps, workers, Rooms, etc. and makes SCTA a nice profit, which helps pay for the rain outs like World Finals just encountered.
Otherwise entry fees might be $1000 per entry to have 4 courses. 

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
OK
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
You have to remember JD is not very "people friendly". He would live in a cabin in the woods if Jean would allow.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

The spectators bother you? Why is that? I kind of like it. Besides it is nothing like spectators in other forms of racing.
615-210-1605

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 12:10:44 AM »
I think there is concern among some of the older competers (not that Tone is really old) that Bonneville is becoming treated like a spectator sport. Something that is hard to understand when you have been a participant for the last thirty or so years.

Offline Tman

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:37 AM »
I think there is concern among some of the older competers (not that Tone is really old) that Bonneville is becoming treated like a spectator sport. Something that is hard to understand when you have been a participant for the last thirty or so years.

I am new, only been there once as a spectator and stayed clear. It was OK, came back this year and was drafted into a team of friends I had never met. Had the best time of my life! I was the safety guy, strap Tim in and make sure all was well before the run. Honored that he asked me to do that. Meant this rookie had some moxy and skill.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
    We had many people visit our pit this year. Drafted one as a permanent crew member, and one is doing some body design work at home for the lakester, one brought us a spare engine [gratus] from California, and one wants to build us some rocker arms which aren't readilly available. Only one drank our beer and he replaced it with fresh stuff the next day and hauled the garbage away. All of them were pit walk-ins that added to our experience and knowledge. Had about 50 kids from the schools in Utah there at times and it was like teaching school. We learned a lot from the next generation and they asked questions that we had to scratch our heads about to find answers. Spectators are more than welcome in our pit.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
And there is the truth about spectators. Most participants were spectators first. I showed up in '66 to see what I had read about in HRM. Loved it. Later I brought back two friends to observe the proceedings. Two years in a row and on the third we were running a car. Spectators are the participants of the future. But it doesn't always seem that way to old guys fooling with old cars.