Author Topic: Roll Cage 4130 Chrome Moly is it legal for LSR vehicle  (Read 21260 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Roll Cage 4130 Chrome Moly is it legal for LSR vehicle
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
The top fuel and funny cars are Chrome moly and they front and back half them 2 or 3 times a year due to fatigue and bending.

This is a great example of apples and oranges, the stresses are completely different.  I'm sure they would grandfather in established vehicles.  If not, there would be a lot if protesting going on. 8-)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
  I'm sure they would grandfather in established vehicles. 

Kind of like what happened to the four wheel drive roadsters.  :evil: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
The top fuel and funny cars are Chrome moly and they front and back half them 2 or 3 times a year due to fatigue and bending.

I believe chrome moly is required in top fuel but not sure.
  Wish I could put more stress on our chassis [like hook up like a top fueler]  :-P

JL222

ps ..working on it :-D

Offline Richie

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
is using mild steel erw and 4130 moly on same chassis legal ?,(example would be mild steel frame rails and 4130 roll cage)

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
Hotschue (Udo Horn) in the Bonneville Bugeye (see the build diaries) did that. Inspector gave us hard time about it but passed it. Hard time based on my prior comments- preference for mild steel rather than moly in general as has been tossed about here at some length, and tube diameters also commented on and the fact that the "cage" extends to the feet as well as around the body. Door car cages are different from special construction by nature so depends on what you are building and the mix and match pieces.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I don't want to rattle anyone's cages here, but it might be a cause for concern.  Following is a photo of two pieces of my frame tubing, CREW 1" x .060" wall, TIG welded together (by me under the watchful eye of my frame welder, who is a certified airframe welder.)  After I welded these two pieces together, he put it in a vise and pounded it with a 2 pound hammer until he bent it.  He said to me "if that had been chrome moly tubing, which I use exclusively for J3 Piper frames, it probably would have broken."  Hopefully, no one will be testing this theory.  They use Chrome-moly for airframes, race bikes, and dragsters, because weight is a concern.  Whichever you use, make sure it is properly welded and annealed if necessary.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:30:07 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Richie

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
what kinda car would work better in lsr on the salt ?   a nhra pro stock  or  a nascar assuming they both had same motor and wheels and tires

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
Neither would be legal for anything but "time only" so sorta a moot question.  :-(
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
I now have my popcorn and a comfortable seat, carry on.
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
 :-D Since you asked- don't see Pro Stockers crash often, but the Nascar guys seem to do it for fun and games regularly. Had my druthers in a crash on the salt, think I'd pick the Nascar one as they seem to walk away mostly intact from some pretty horrific stuff.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »
The strength (safety) of a race chassis does not come from the choice of construction materials, it comes from a proper design appropriate to the material chosen.

You can build a chassis out of wood that is stronger than chrome Moly if you design it right. Pound for pound wood is stronger than steel if stressed properly (in compression), it is also stiffer and better at dampening vibrations. That does not necessarily make it the ideal construction material (although the guys that rode British Mosquito fighter planes and American PT boats into battle might have a strong case to defend the strength of properly designed wood construction).

Point being chrome moly is not some magic material that instantly gives extra safety. It has certain physical characteristics that allow you to build a very strong (very expensive) light weight chassis, but you can build a chassis just as strong out of mild steel tubing for lower cost, and it will fail more gracefully in a catastrophic accident consuming energy bending stiff ductile tubing where the same accident would likely break chrome moly tubing chassis of the same strength when it was over loaded.

I will take an over engineered mild steel tube chassis every time over chrome moly.

The only practical advantage of chrome moly is that it allows you to build a stronger chassis for the weight, but you give up money, stiffness ease of repair in the field and graceful ductile failure in the bargain.

Larry

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
A note regarding TIG welding aircraft structure 4130 material. For years the only accepted method was gas welding, which, if done correctly, anneals the weld area and greatly reduces joint failure in the heat effected area just outside of the weld fillet. As I have posted a number of time on this site I built and modified a number of off road motorcycles back in the 70s with 4130 tubing that I gas welded. I raced them all for a number of years, both motocross and District 37 desert racing and never had a frame failure. I generally avoid 4130 today as I do TIG weld it and have had failures related to fracturing in the heat affected area.

I do agree with hotrod regarding being able to build very satisfactory structures using mild steel tubing of a heavier wall than 4130 and being probably a better option, however the property of a mild steel structure that hotrod seems to like," graceful ductile failure" I don't think I could support if the "graceful ductile failure" happened to be the roll cage folding in over my head! I think that we have all probably seen Top Fuel dragsters crashing at some pretty high speeds and their driver survival cages certainly appear to hold up well to such crashes. So again it is the design and fabrication techniques used to be appropriate wit the material that is important.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Richie

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
as a hypothetical ,  is it considered stronger if the roll bars of the cage are welded to the bottom frame rails and 2nd rail  into that or  weld on top of the shoulder hoop.  also if the roll bars have to be 1 continuous piece

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:37:58 AM by Richie »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
however the property of a mild steel structure that hotrod seems to like," graceful ductile failure" I don't think I could support if the "graceful ductile failure" happened to be the roll cage folding in over my head!

You are misinterpreting my comment. The idea of graceful failure is well understood in engineering design.
You can never design a structure or component so it is absolutely guaranteed to never exceed its design limits and fail.There will always be that 1:1000 or 1:1000000 event where all your design planning assumptions turn out to be too conservative or the loads are way beyond anything you planned for.

Example suppose you design the roll cage over your head to survive a 20 G impact after the car flies at 200+ mph and lands on its top. Ungraceful failure would be for the car when experiencing a 21 G impact for the roll cage structure to break apart and the car parts and driver to fly in loose formation until they all come to rest.

Graceful failure of the cage would be for when subjected to a 21 G or 30 G impact for the cage to remain intact but deform significantly, perhaps putting a scuff mark on the drivers helmet where the top of the cage comes down 2 inches but still manages to protect his head.

Alive and injured is always better than almost alive. Mild steel structures when loaded beyond their ultiment strength tend to bend and stretch to release some of the over load without breaking.This in safety cage structures can be the difference between a deformed but still useful safety bubble inside the cage and a cage loop that buckles and breaks at the welds coming off the frame leaving the driver with ZERO protection.

Personally I believe rule making bodies should include energy dissipation structures into their safety cage designs. When they were designing safety casks for radioactive materials they tried several different designs to come up with a structure that would survive really extrodinary extreme impacts. Things like being hit by a high speed freight train at a RR crossing or having a truck loaded with a D-9 bull dozer cross the center line and side swipe the safety cask with the bull dozer blade at highway speeds (140 mph closing speed), the final designs have fins on the cask (they look sort of like an air cooled engine cylinder). Those fins are designed to take such an extraordinary impact and deform using up energy so that the cask structure itself although mangled still survives and maintains it integrity.

Rule makers are finally starting to consider such energy absorption structures. Champ cars now require an energy absorber on the back of the transaxle unit so if the car backs into a concrete wall at 200+ mph there is some give and dissipation of energy in the structure before an immovable force (concrete wall) meets an extremely rigid metal structure (transaxle/engine assembly) and gets pushed through the drivers seat back.

NASCAR after the Earnhart accident also included energy absorbing foam structures in the doors and of course went to the energy absorbing barriers.

Roll cages should have an energy absorbing structure on the top/outside of the primary cage tubes to absorb  catastrophic impacts and use up energy before the cage structure has to deal with the impact.This way the impact of something like an engine block striking a main roll bar tube, would instead of denting or cutting the outer wall of the tube, would mash the external crush tube, blunting the impact on the structural tube, and protecting it from that point impact.

The ideal low cost crush structure could be something as simple as a second external tube of lighter wall thickness, designed to crush on hard impact and protect the structural tube it is attached to.

Larry

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
Nice discussion Larry.

Reminds me a bit of a conversation we had with a guy we were buying a Valkyrie kit from. (Valkyrie was sort of GT40 lookalike kit car, corvair running gear, Small block chevy mid engine. 40 years ago we built and went autocrossing, never licensed).  Seller, after a question about the apparent light structure of the frame, said "there are all sorts of collapsable members up front to absorb an impact"..Wag in the family commented "yeah, like our legs and feet". I nearly had occasion to find that out. Old Marlboro sports car track in southern Maryland. We were autocrossing, running backwards of usual and at the beginning, now end, of the long back straight is a very tight hairpin turn, bordered by a solid wall. The valkyrie was light with a fairly healthy 327 in it and I was wailing down that straight. Inadequate brakes!!. OOPS. Just made it around that corner but scared the bejesus out of me. And roll cage? whats that? barely had seat belts.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019