Author Topic: Roll Cage 4130 Chrome Moly is it legal for LSR vehicle  (Read 21262 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Roll Cage 4130 Chrome Moly is it legal for LSR vehicle
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:11 AM »
The rules require a heavier wall thickness for mild steel tubing which will likely more than make up for the difference in material strength. DOM tubing is very high quality tubing, much tougher to bend than the equivalent ERW. It is probably much less likely to fracture beside the weld than the 4130N given the difference in wall thicknesses and the effect of the heat affected zone in 4130. The N is very important if you are going to use chromemoly tubing.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:14:55 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »
I would want to be in a car that was built WAY over
enginered to be as safe as possible.

Easiest, cheapest, most foolproof method of making the cage stronger:
add 1/2" to the OD.

Comparing moly to mild, perhaps a 30% advantage in strength (viz., before separation) with the same wall thickness. If wall is thinner, strength is a match, but small disadvantage in stiffness.

Comparing minimum OD to +1/2" OD, using 1-5/8" as a base, same wall thickness to remove a variable:
1-5/8" at .083" = .360 "stiffness units" (dimensionless)
2-1/8" at .083" = .834 "stiffness units"

The 2-1/8" is about 32% stronger, and more than twice as stiff.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
Yes Tman this is Ron San Giovanni.
 Peter Jack I agree when running on the salt weight is your Friend we learned that when helping the team get the D/BSTR record a few years back I was the one who made the final call to add weight depending on the salts condition prior to each run so this area of LSR racing is not new to me.
   But excess weight can also be your enemy during an accident there is always going to be a fine line about such a decision. My interest in weight reduction if I decide to use the chrome moly gives me the opportunity to place the weight where I feel its needed.
 Ronnie Roadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Tman

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
Yes Tman this is Ron San Giovanni.
 Peter Jack I agree when running on the salt weight is your Friend we learned that when helping the team get the D/BSTR record a few years back I was the one who made the final call to add weight depending on the salts condition prior to each run so this area of LSR racing is not new to me.
   But excess weight can also be your enemy during an accident there is always going to be a fine line about such a decision. My interest in weight reduction if I decide to use the chrome moly gives me the opportunity to place the weight where I feel its needed.
 Ronnie Roadster

Thought it might be you from the HAMB, have admired your cars for years.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 10:08:38 PM »
Last I spoke with Steve Davies (chief inspector) they strongly prefer mild steel to moly though latter still legal. Regardless of diameter and "stiffness" as Panic mentions however, minimum wall thickness with mild steel is nominal .125 (.120). Though have seen no suggestion, I would not be surprised to sometime see a switch to outlaw moly. As others have said, too much may be just enough cage strength wise ( or not enough depending on point of view  :-o). And I agree about the weight comments, I just don't like it in the back of the car.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 01:11:49 AM »
Last I spoke with Steve Davies (chief inspector) they strongly prefer mild steel to moly though latter still legal. Regardless of diameter and "stiffness" as Panic mentions however, minimum wall thickness with mild steel is nominal .125 (.120). Though have seen no suggestion, I would not be surprised to sometime see a switch to outlaw moly. As others have said, too much may be just enough cage strength wise ( or not enough depending on point of view  :-o). And I agree about the weight comments, I just don't like it in the back of the car.

I surely hope they don't outlaw it, just because an inspector prefers one over another.   :mrgreen:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
My experience is with chrome-moly motorcycle frames.  They are not uncommon and they work satisfactorily, for the most part.  They are lighter.  Occasionally they would crack and I would weld them up.  My welds looked good and they worked OK about half of the time.  The welds that went bad did not break.  The metal near the weld cracked.  The cracks did not happen just after the welding.  They occurred later when the frame was stressed.  This is a big problem.  A person does not know they have a bad joint until it is stressed and it cracks.

Ask your welder if he knows how his work has held up during hard use after he welded it.  This is the critical thing.  

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 02:32:45 PM »

Some comments on the above discussion:

“Certified weldor” --  Certified by whom, to do what, with what materials, with what technique, under what conditions?  Unless the answers to these questions fit your application, you’re whistling in the wind.

4130 --  As has been stated, 4130 offers some, but marginal advantage in strength over mild steel unless it has been properly frabricated and heat treated.  It also offers a proclivity for brittle fracture.  It is most useful for piece parts that can be machined from heat treated material, or roughed out, heat treated, and then finish machined.  For welding, what qualified weld procedure would you use?  What pre-heat? What qualified filler metal?  What welding technique and joint design?  What post-weld stress-relief for all the welds?  For space frame construction, do you know somebody with a pretty large heat-treat facilities?  Can you live with the resulting deformation?  Not to mention non-destructive testing of the joints for cracks, even assuming all the previous steps were properly taken.  Then, how do you repair the cracks without invoking the whole process again?  Welding alloy steels is not a trivial undertaking.

Carroll Smith is correct and some of the headaches outlined above are why the conventional wisdom, also stated in previous posts, is that mild steel is hard to beat in this application.  Using 4130 borders on foolishness.

Peter -- Mild DOM tubing has some strength advantage due to the cold-work involved during its forming, and can have a nice finish for the same reason, but can lose that effect in the heat affected zone of a weld.  It can also have more wall thickness variation than ERW tubing.

Panic’s “stiffness units”  --  What Panic is referring to is the bending moment of inertia of the tube cross-section.  (Would be nice to use more descriptive, or even correct, terminology).  This doesn’t apply to axial stiffness, and may or may not be an indication of the actual bending capacity of the as-fabricated tubing frame elements.  The joint design would have to be adequate to support the capacity of the tubing, and there is a real possibility of local bucking of the tube wall before the cross-sectional capacity is reached.

Wobbly  --  The cracks were probably there, it just took a while to become easily noticeable.  That’s why alloy welds need to be stress relieved and NDE’d.

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
"I would not be surprised to sometime see a switch to outlaw moly."

I don't foresee that happening in the near future -certainty not in 2012.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »

DW

I realise that this is the information age, but what the hell is "outlaw moly"??

I do know that there are more/divesified alloys available in yuur-up. I dealt with some in karting years ago, all seemed to respond well to being treated like 4130 (post annealing and pre heating).

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
I realise that this is the information age, but what the hell is "outlaw moly"??

outlaw as prohibit
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »

outlaw as prohibit
Yeah. He's using it as a verb, not a noun.  :wink:  :cheers: Wayno

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
Duh..........

here in the state of Confusion (California), English is a second language.

The Brits have been using a form of alloy that is not 4130, supposedly made for race car chassis (easy to weld/repair etc.)

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

DW
May have stirred up something here  :-(. I would emphasize my use of "sometime".  In 2010 with a new car we were really given a hard time in inspection about the moly cage though were eventually passed on it. It did meet rulebook specs and then some. Anyway, I was just speculating here based on these discussions and not really meaning to be predictive. Certainly if such a change were made I would expect a lot of grandfathering and warning about it.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
The top fuel and funny cars are Chrome moly and they front and back half them 2 or 3 times a year due to fatigue and bending.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah