Author Topic: Aussy trip  (Read 13666 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Aussy trip
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:27:40 PM »
For all of you going to the March meet down under, the best of luck, hope all of you have a safe trip and set the records you are seeking. I will be with you in spirit. Jon, Joe Mike, Sam & John all all of your support members. Go fast. Jon thanks for all you are doing to keep us posted during the event. Wish I wasa there to time you. :D

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

landracing

Aussy trip
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:49:34 PM »
Im just finishing a few things here, bank, emergency phone numbers, will, health insurance..Clean dog poo from backyard, clean furnace... man all the little things that the wife makes you do...

Got bags packed and im ready to goto the airport, just waiting for the wife to come pick me up... You know that means she has to leave work early to take me there... Someone has to work around here to pay for the trip... She is a good gal, im lucky to have her... 12 years of married and she still puts up with me...

I will be checking the internet as soon as I arrive to make sure everthing works, so Feb 1, we arrive about 8 am.. Funny we leave on the 27th and get there the 1st... And shortly after Ill be checking the internet and posting the first few pictures of the arrival, and again when we unpack the containers,, then off to the salt...

Jon

Offline Freud

Down Under
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
Jon..before you shoot any fotos, take a look around and see if other Americans are holding their cameras upside down. An Oz's camera would already be programmed and could lead you astray.
Since it's digital, there may be a setting in the program that will automatically switch the image.
You could have serious problems if you shoot a sunrise and it's inverted. Porta potties could be intimidating if not properly oriented.

Guidance from G'Pa Freud
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Dow Nunder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »
Quote from: Freud
Jon..before you shoot any fotos, take a look around and see if other Americans are holding their cameras upside down. An Oz's camera would already be programmed and could lead you astray.
Since it's digital, there may be a setting in the program that will automatically switch the image.
You could have serious problems if you shoot a sunrise and it's inverted. Porta potties could be intimidating if not properly oriented.

Guidance from G'Pa Freud

It's not an issue EVERYTHING is upside down.....so in relative terms there is no problem , I just looked out the window and checked!....much looking forward to meeting everybody which I gather will take a while 'cause there's so many of you coming....sleep all you can on the 'plane because you're gonna have trouble keeping up with it when you get here.The day you lose on the way here will be held in escrow for you until you go home again :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Freud

IT'S CRYIN TIME
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »
8:50 PM Pacific Standard time.
Jon just called me from the DENVER Airport. Their flight has been delayed all day. First airplane problems and then when that was repaired the crew had been on shift too long. It will be another hour before they can leave Denver for San Francisco. Their scheduled flight has already left for Australia with Jon and Joe sitting in Denver. After they arrive in San Fran they can not get a departure until around 10 PM Pacific time on Tuesday. That automatically puts them 24 hours late in arriving. Part of the people that were at the airport in San Fran were bumped and shipped to Los Angeles. They will fly directly to Aidelade. Jon and Joe don't know if their luggage will keep up with them If not they are screwed. There are spare bike parts, the satellite link for the computer and miscellaneous other stuff in the bags.
The next problem is that all of the fellows have to be there at one time to pick up the bikes. If Joes bike is unloaded w/o him being there a great chance exists that the fairing will be broken. It's a jig saw puzzle the way the crate is built around the bike.

The other immediate problem is that both of them are starved and they can't get off the plane.

Australia..........be ready to make adjustments for these blokes. They will need all the help they can get.

God Bless United Airlines. Maybe this is why they are banko.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hawkwind

Aussy trip
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:37 AM »
Thats bloody bad news , I will make some calls this end to Paul Rogers  who is putting them up in Adelaide and see what we can do this end , did Jim Higgins get the correct flight ? , we should be able to pick up his bike  if Joe /jon are not there on time , as to the luggage  ,thats a different story , I tried Joes # but it was not available , will try again later , Im sure it can be worked out for the good  :)
Gary
slower than most

landracing

Aussy trip
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 04:51:50 AM »
Ok here is the deal.. First I get to DIA extra early to meet Joe when he gets off of his plane at 3:33 pm from Rapid City.. Found out that our 5:50 PM flight to San Fran is delayed until 7 PM. Ok not a problem that would leave us like 1 1/2 hours to make the connection flight to Sydney.. We board the plane at 6:45.. About 7:10 comes and the pilot states that they have a fuel leak and repair crews are working on it... Comes back on 10 minutes later and says fuel leak is repaired but the bad news is the crew has will have been flying to long and the flight has to  be cancelled.. Everybody off the plane.... We reboard the same plane at 9:30 pm and when we get aboard the new pilot comes on and says that arriving flights to San Fran have been delayed and we cannot take off for over an hour... We finally get into San Fran and guess what the baggage department is closed and will not let us get our luggage. COme back tomorrow they say... They put us up at a hotel for the night,, but we have to check out by 11 am, and the next flight out is 10:15 PM on Tuesday which puts us about 24 hours behind everybody else.. Should not be too much of an issue as long as our luggage is found, the group is not leaving for Port Augusta until the 3rd... This puts us in the morning of the 2nd...

Part of the Other group that left out of San Fran directly got split up due to overbooking of the flight.. So some had to split up and leave out of LAX to Adelaide and not Sydney...

The pilot did come on to say that they were now featuring Broke Back Mountain for the in flight video to San Fran...

Let this be our "Hitch" for the trip.

Jon

Offline PaulinOz

• New folks
Aussy trip
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:50:01 AM »
Message rec guys bad luck on plane problems.
Jim will be here Lunch time 1st March.
If you dont get here on the 2 nd Jim and Ross will get the Bike in the crate to my place for you to unpack when you arrive.
Ross tells me that they will not leave without you. Australians are more reliable than US Plane services.
Will have some cold beer in the fridge for you when you arrive.
If you get a chance e-mail me your arrival time and flight info for Adelaide.
paul at westonsi dot com dot au.
Paul in Oz unlike you guys. Mate
 :lol:

Offline JimW

Aussy trip
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »
Note for any trip to Oz.  Leave a day early.  Good luck guys!

landracing

Aussy trip
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 11:54:49 AM »
Thanks Paul, I dont have the total info yet this morning I will post when I do.

We survived our first Australian adventure when we asked a 6'3" Kiwi, did he play for the Australian soccer team... He very quickly stated that Kiwi's and Aussies are very different teams... Very spirited reply....

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
Aussy trip
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:13 PM »
Jon
Why would you at 5 foot zero inches mess with a aussy giant over 6 feet tall. even standing on Joe's shoulders wouldn't get you eye to eye. Hang in there Jon and Joe.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Aussy trip
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »
Quote from: landracing
Thanks Paul, I dont have the total info yet this morning I will post when I do.

We survived our first Australian adventure when we asked a 6'3" Kiwi, did he play for the Australian soccer team... He very quickly stated that Kiwi's and Aussies are very different teams... Very spirited reply....

Jon

If I have someone in the store and I can't understand their English they are usually from England, no offense Malcolm 8).  Some parts of England are better or worse than others depending on what is better or worse.  If I can understand most of what they are saying then they are probably from Australia or New Zealand.  I never try and guess anymore as I only have a 33% chance of being correct and if you aren't you could be in trouble :oops:

Jon and Joe hope things smooth out for you.  Sounds like you have good help waiting.  Any word from any of the others?

c ya, Sum

landracing

Aussy trip
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
All the others did leave out last night.. But the plane they were all taking from San Fran to Sydney was overbooked.. So part of the crew got split up and some went straight into adelaide and some went to Sydney...

I really want to thank Top Oil they are getting things taken care of for Joe and I... Frank Ryan had to stay behind to run the business and he and the travel agency have been all over it this morning trying to get us taken care of.... Thanks to those guys doing what they can... As of right now until we hear different we are leaving out tonight at 10:17 pm to Sydney... Then a new flight will have to be made from Sydney to Adelaide... Oo yea did I forget to mention that Joe's visa is messed up too.. Top Oil and Travel Agency are also working on that as we speak also... Im sure things will be fine...

Joe and I are leaving the hotel right now to go find our luggage. When we got it this morning at 2 am the baggage claim area was closed so now we get to search around for the checked in baggage...

Jon

Offline PaulinOz

• New folks
Aussy trip
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 04:55:41 PM »
As I type Jim should be being searched in Sydney, hope they get out the rubber gloves and give him a good going over. John as soon as you get an arrival time in Adelaide try to e-mail me.
Contacts in Adelaide
Home 08 8351 7365
Work 08 8268 9551 (Kathy)
I leave for Singapore 12:20 pm 2nd March up till then 0417 834 598 Cell (Paul).
If I miss you on arrival will see you for the Party my Place 11th March.
PaulinOz

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
aussy trip
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
All of us left here in the states really appricate what you mates are doing to help out our racers, sure wish I could have gone. Watch out for Keith, he talks funny hick and hates flies because they are smarter then he is.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah