Author Topic: Raised port Stude heads  (Read 57012 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Raised port Stude heads
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 01:03:57 AM »
... tunnel port 427 Fords and 421 Pontiac's...
Clarification (not that anyone other than us Pontiac folks care)- tunnel-port Pontiac heads were Ram-Air V. These were over-the-parts-counter-only pieces, unlike most 421 engines.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RichFox

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »
I believe the same was true of the Ford tunnel port heads.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
Sleeves in the intake ports are factory for Triumph Bonneville 650, frequently exposed by ambitious porting.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
I went out to the scrap pile and dug out the old Pontiac head that I cut up to try and convince Larry Climbe to let me cut his heads. Larry had what at the time, I thought of as major bucks in the intake side of his #16 400 heads. But the very restrictive exhaust. I thought that for little or no money I could improve on the down turn Pontiac ports. In the same way as Zenon's Studebaker. At that time I wanted to use one full length angle iron. Larry wouldn't go for it, and eventually bought Eledbrock heads but never ran the car with them. It sits today in his driveway.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Rich,

Has Bob D. contacted you yet about doing a set for his early Olds?   :-D

Just kidding Bob.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
The Saga continues

Here is one of the exhaust ports cleaned up with the adapter flange mounted. This will probably be the only one I will finish off so Jack can test it. There are two pics.

Here is the port with the tubing held in place, another two pics. Now I have to weld it in place, Rich is going to machine a flange to weld on the top. Again two pics. ( I was originally considering doing something like this on the intake side, coming in under the rocker arms straight towards the valve, tried the pictured way instead. I became a little timid, for some reason, about the water jackets. )

Now I need to go, Happy Thanksgiving.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
I went out to the scrap pile and dug out the old Pontiac head that I cut up to try and convince Larry Climbe to let me cut his heads. Larry had what at the time, I thought of as major bucks in the intake side of his #16 400 heads. But the very restrictive exhaust. I thought that for little or no money I could improve on the down turn Pontiac ports. In the same way as Zenon's Studebaker. At that time I wanted to use one full length angle iron. Larry wouldn't go for it, and eventually bought Eledbrock heads but never ran the car with them. It sits today in his driveway.

When that head was laying on the ground I assumed those were the water jackets that you had cut into, but those are the combustion chambers aren't they?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:39:48 PM by zenndog »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
No. Thats water.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Well, it LOOKS like it should help the flow.

Does Jack do his own flow work, or have it done? Any chance that we'll see the results posted here?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:00:02 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
This deal is pretty much between Jack and Zenon. But jack did say he wanted the head shipped to some flow guy he knows. I guess the numbers will be here. At least the improvement on the exhaust side, if I get it.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
No. Thats water.

Yeah, I should have looked closer, thought I saw the leaves on the ground but it is clearly a rusty water jacket

Offline zenndog

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
I second Rich, if Jack shares the info, then it will be posted. Of course I don't have the stock flow numbers, I will see if I can find any info. Z
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:16:13 PM by zenndog »

Offline zenndog

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
I found a you tube video that shows a Stude R1 head being flowed which is what the head we used is supposed to be. The head was flowing 127cfm at .500 lift on one of the end (single) ports.

http://youtu.be/Ri9iCX9T8rE

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
In what way does the pressure variable affect (or not) the CFM readings?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
  Tom, I actually have a set of Jocko Johnson raised port Olds heads that were intended for top fuel.  I will try to shoot some pictures of them and post them ( I think I have figured out how to do it).               Bob
Bob Drury