Author Topic: Raised port Stude heads  (Read 57055 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Raised port Stude heads
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
Well maybe Zenon will post the intake side and explane what is going on. He has the head at his place right now to do some grinding and blending. Hey Zenon! How about posting the other side?

Offline zenndog

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
Here are some pictures of the intake side. WARNING! If you are squeamish then stop reading now. This may not be for the weak of heart. Just kidding!

Intake mod requested by Jack Vines, he wanted the intake runner removed. I haven’t smoothed anything yet, this is as milled.

Here is the start of my experiment. Cutting off the top of the ports to see if I could raise the ports up/open them up. There is more work to do on this side but if inquiring minds want to know…here it is.

That’s all the stuff from the intake side so far. I look at this stuff as very experimental. I plan to rebuild the ports I am working on with wood and epoxy so the ports can be flowed.

There is a milder port modification that I would like to have done but it became more apparent only as the ports were cut open. It has to do with sleeving the push rod holes near each intake port and removing the material to the sleeve, this opens up a turn in the port as well as widening the port. I will explain more about it as I finish the ports off.

There you go Rich, for better or worse!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »
Am I reading this right?  He's thinking he may want to set it up with shared intake ports?

What's the firing order?

I like the raised port idea a lot better.

Caution on the sleeve in the pushrod hole - you may limit the pushrod diameter, and depending on cam and rocker ratio, possibly have an interference problem.

And that WILL make you squeamish.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:08 AM »
MM, you may want to look at a BMC Formula 3 head from the sixties. They just set the head up at an angle in the mill, bored 4 holes down toward the intake valves and then epoxied in 4 tubes. They were only allowed to use a single throat carburetor so they used one throat of a Weber. Just lettin' you think!

Pete

Offline RichFox

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
IMHO while this will raise the intake port, the cut doesn't reach back to the radius of the turn out of the valve bowl. And so gives the appearance of a raised port without the benefit. The BMC deal would be more to the point. But this experiment was trying to stay out of the water jackets. Jacks idea, I believe, is to follow the 360 degree intake manifolds single plane idea as far as possable. Especially with a supercharger, port runners are just taking up space. Maybe. He will flow it and draw his conclusions.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
  Sorta like this.
   Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
Almost exactly like that Doug. I really liked what you had done and was really annoyed (I have other words but they don't make it past the filter.) when it was ruled illegal. I really enjoy it when someone reads the rule book and does a good job of interpretation. :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
I am with Pete, I don't want to get on SSS bad side.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Re: "the cut doesn't reach back to the radius of the turn out of the valve bowl. And so gives the appearance of a raised port without the benefit"

The way I described it to someone where we can't share a visual is "The roof of the new inserted tube should be tangential to the long side curve of the existing port. As the angle increases from horizontal, the intersection point goes closer to the bowl itself".

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
Tony, you get a bye on getting me ticked off -- as long as you keep putting up the photos of trackside girls.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zenndog

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
Buickguy3-That was my original thought, but how did you seal the water jackets?

On the intake ports where I cut off the top I tried to avoid going into the water jacket. If you look at the photo I think you can see what Rich is referring to. Without cutting into the water jacket you have a narrow section so i assume it negates any  or most any benefit you gain by opening up the first part of the intake port.

Midget- good point, I will measure the pushrod hole. I think it might be possible to "move" the hole away from the port and use an offset lifter and rocker? With that kind of change I think you could make the port much wider towards the pushrod hole and not raise them so they would conform to the difficult to interpret Production Pickup head rules.

Rich-No mater what Jacks flow results are, seems like it will have to be run to know for sure if it is an improvement.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:14:02 PM by zenndog »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »
I think it might be possible to "move" the hole away from the port and use an offset lifter and rocker?

I was thinking that very thought today at work.

Yeah, this thread is a great distraction!

Is there enough meat around the lifter bores to do that?

Press on, guys.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
  Zenndog,
  Old plumber's trick. Stuffed the holes in the water jacket with 1 1/2 loaves of "Wonder Bread". Then backed them up with nearly a gallon of industrial epoxy. Then opened the new ports back up with a die grinder and applied epoxy as the tubes were inserted in the new ports. Then everything was sealed [more epoxy] and time. Frank spent many hours sealing and grinding. Hope this makes sense.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline RichFox

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »
As far as the pushrod tubes go. Most have seen tunnel port 427 Fords and 421 Pontiac's. Among other engines. So in this case I don't think it would be a problem. As Zenor suggests you could use offset lifters and rockers as do many SBC engines for just this reason

Offline zenndog

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
Almost exactly like that Doug. I really liked what you had done and was really annoyed (I have other words but they don't make it past the filter.) when it was ruled illegal. I really enjoy it when someone reads the rule book and does a good job of interpretation. :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Yeah, sometimes even when you get permission before hand it still is illegal, figure that out!

I drove around Santa Cruz all day today trying to find carbide die grinder bits, finally did after 4 hardware stores and two welding supplies.....Jeeze! Should get some stuff done this week and post pics after Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:01:54 AM by zenndog »