Author Topic: Raised port Stude heads  (Read 57059 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Raised port Stude heads
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »
The use of OEM heads in Production is NOT mandatory. Check page 75, sentence at top of the page, 2011 rulebook. If you have aftermarket heads which meet the criteria you are OK.

Brodix have Studebaker heads in their catalog?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline zenndog

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 12:28:31 AM »
I think Production should be limited to OEM blocks and castings. There is modified for all the NASCAR stuff. I know it won't happen, but it is fun to gripe about it, for a minute.

Maybe there can be a tax based on what you spend on your engine, added to the entry fee. Keep your reciepts in your log book. :evil:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:43:03 AM »
This is a fight I would rather skip. The Stude heads are fun and maybe we will do them and run modified. Won't set any records, but what do you get for a record. A trophy. I already have a few. Maybe I would rather have satisfaction that we ran the Stude just because we wanted to.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
     In my opinion that's what it's all about.  A stout run for what you have is recognized far more than a trophy by those who know and understand.  As for those who don't, they can always continue to dial 1-800-......  Still a free country, their choice.

Ed

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
Maybe I would rather have satisfaction that we ran the Stude just because we wanted to.

The best reason, and the one that really matters.

:cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
     In my opinion that's what it's all about.  A stout run for what you have is recognized far more than a trophy by those who know and understand.  As for those who don't, they can always continue to dial 1-800-......  Still a free country, their choice.

Ed

To quote my partners response to a competetor who proclaimed he would protest us if we broke his record because we did not have winshield wiper motors,
 "we will know we went faster than you and you will know we went faster than you, nobody else cares"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
I think Production should be limited to OEM blocks and castings. There is modified for all the NASCAR stuff. I know it won't happen, but it is fun to gripe about it, for a minute.

Maybe there can be a tax based on what you spend on your engine, added to the entry fee. Keep your reciepts in your log book. :evil:

I don't want to fight either, I went to bed wishing I hadn't even commented. I am disappointed but I think it is just the trend and what can you do.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
The comment, especially with the manner and context it was posted, is very legitimate. A lot of us might still enjoy watching you play.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline zenndog

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
The part about the whole thing that kind of disappoints me is that there is more going on than the rules state in production.

I "feel" that if someone can run a Brodix head in production and sweep all the engine classes than anyone should be able to modify a OEM head to perform as well, if they can, which is a big if. I think that the wording of the rule "same number of valves and stock port configuration" should leave a lot of room for creative modifications. But I "feel" like if the head looks like Dr. Frankenstiens second unknown creation then you won't be able to run it.

EOR = end of rant
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:10:26 PM by zenndog »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
Zenor, I know Rich knows the procedure, but I'll point it out anyway.

If you're thinking about running it just for the satisfaction, why not submit the changes to the committee, and get a formal ruling. You may be surprised, if you can show the head, even with the changes, meet the intent of the rule.

Hell, it's always worth a shot!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »

Won't set any records, but what do you get for a record. A trophy. I already have a few. Maybe I would rather have satisfaction that we ran the Stude just because we wanted to.

Rich,

The Spirit you have is what attracted me to this sport.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »
Buddy and any interested. "If you can't accept the answer, Don't ask the question." I asked if the head would be legal in Production. The answer while not what I wanted, was what I expected. And it was the answer. The SCTA makes the rules. So Cal. It's their sandbox and we play in it. This is a done deal. When I think I can do better i will start the RFTA and you all will be welcome to run your cars there. You may not like the way I class SBC powered cars however.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »
I wonder if it would flow better than the Morton&Brett on your Dodge V4?   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
It's a cool project that is going nowhere. It was supposed to be for a E/ProPickup. Can't raise and separate your ports in Pro. I got an email that indicates you must run OEM heads in PRO. So I guess there are no Brodex or other after market heads on any of those Chevys in class.

I understand. I didn't realize the email mentioned above was 'official'.

Either way, it's a cool concept that I hope comes to fruition some day.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
Buddy; Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you informed that putting bulkheads in your lifter valley to tie the right and left banks together was not an allowed modification? And now we see that there are 7 main bearing GMC engines in the same class? If that is true, don't you find that a bit of a burn?