Author Topic: Raised port Stude heads  (Read 57047 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Raised port Stude heads
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
In addition to the obvious "how much room have we got", have you considered what part your static CR plays in intake/exhaust size bias?
For those not familiar, Vizard goes into detail on why it's safe to compromise exhaust valve size on a high compression engine.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »
Panic- What is Visard? I was thinking of leaving the exhaust the stock size and enlarging the size of the intake as much as I could and not alter the guide location. The Nascar engines seem to run small exhaust valves compared to the intakes.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
Here are a couple pics.

Here is the tube I bent or "squashed" I am making a tool to make the ends a clean 1" diameter half circle

This is the J bend, not sure why I took a picture of that.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2012, 01:13:45 AM »
Zenndog, if you Google David Vizard you'll get all the info. He has several good presentations on You Tube.

Pete

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:13 AM »
Buy David Vizard's softcover book "How To Build Horsepower". It is all about what you are doing. Amazon should have it. The graphics and illustrations are amazing and better than you will find in any modern text.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
I can second that - he wrote the definitive book on making the BMC A-Block perform, and it's been my reference of choice for the last 5 years.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
You can ask David first hand next month in CA and get a signed copy: http://www.davidvizardseminars.com/ue-UTI-0412.html

BTW: I will be giving a two hour presentation on a virtual flow bench and virtual wind tunnel.
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline zenndog

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2012, 01:11:43 AM »
Messed with the tubing port idea a little today
First off I went and bought some hardware to make a tool to try and bend the port easier

Well that was a waste of time, my cheap little vise broke so I couldn’t hold the bolts to drill them the way I had planned on the drill press. So after looking at craigslist for a while at vises I took out these tools and used one of the bronve bushings with vice grips and the hammer

Here are some pics of the piece of tubing I “squished”

On the head, trying to figure out how I want it to fit

I need to make the tubing narrower at the “back”  from top to bottom so the bottom of the port heads toward the valve. This tubing may be too large but I will continue with it for now.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:21 AM »
You may find it easier to bend two round tubes, one for the top radius and one for the bottom, and then cut those apart and make 2 flat sides to connect them.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:48 AM »
Reference your Post #104

What is the name of his business or do you have a phone number for Bob Peterson in Hayward, CA?
 :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
Messed with the tubing port idea a little today
First off I went and bought some hardware to make a tool to try and bend the port easier

Well that was a waste of time, my cheap little vise broke so I couldn’t hold the bolts to drill them the way I had planned on the drill press. So after looking at craigslist for a while at vises I took out these tools and used one of the bronve bushings with vice grips and the hammer

Here are some pics of the piece of tubing I “squished”

On the head, trying to figure out how I want it to fit

I need to make the tubing narrower at the “back”  from top to bottom so the bottom of the port heads toward the valve. This tubing may be too large but I will continue with it for now.

That looks like a good use for a hammer form.  Define your port shape in a piece of heavy plate and whack away. Then join the two halves..Bingo.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
Reference your Post #104

What is the name of his business or do you have a phone number for Bob Peterson in Hayward, CA?
 :cheers:
(510) 266-2522

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »
You can ask David first hand next month in CA and get a signed copy: http://www.davidvizardseminars.com/ue-UTI-0412.html

BTW: I will be giving a two hour presentation on a virtual flow bench and virtual wind tunnel.
Last year he was in the Twin Cities, and it was the weekend before WOS, which I was still vacillating on whether to attend.  I didn't do either, and I wish I had made the drive to Minneapolis.  

Now I see the place that this is happening is walking distance from the Ontario Airport.

I'd love to attend, but work and the racing budget are standing in the way.

Much success with your presentation, Woody.

I'm liking Anvil*'s idea - and would add to that this one thought - you could use two different sized tubes which might give you better velocity due to the different  radiuses.

Yeah, I know, we're not at that point yet, and you're just trying to prove the idea, but come refinement time . . . :roll:

This is too fun.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline zenndog

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Since Rich was busy this weekend, I pulled the stude head project off the shelf

Filled the lower part of the intake runner, glued in a small section of "roof" shaped from a piece of tubing

Began to play around with the shape of the port made with tubing. Made a different for the top and the bottom, just to try it.

Shaped the back of the top.

Lets just epoxy it in and see how it works out

I will shape and fill the back of the port with epoxy once it dries in place.

Thats all for now.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
Here are some more pictures from today