Author Topic: Northwest Source for Cage Material...  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Northwest Source for Cage Material...
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:44:16 AM »
Does anyone have a good source for 1.625x134 DOM Tubing? And don`t say Art Morrison....I am building this car on a tight budget, and don`t feel that $10-$15 per foot is a realistic cost for material. There has to be a source close by that would sell it to me in lengths........Anyone? :?

Offline John Burk

Re: Northwest Source for Cage Material...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
eBay # 260853956788  $8.25 / ft incl shipping

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Try Tube Service

www.tubeservice.com

location in Portland Or.

They deliver to me free with min $100 order. (LA area Santa Fe Springs)

Their catalog lists 1-3/4" OD x .120, .125 and .134 DOM

John

BTW ask for certs when you buy the tubing, just incase someone asks, like when the car is sold.

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:35:48 AM »
Thanks Guys....John--Tried Tube Services but they had no .134 wall tubing in stock when I called and weren`t all that helpful....Hope my accent didn`t cause a comprehension problem....... :mrgreen:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »
Another thought---Can anyone chime in as regards Hrew (electro-weld) tubing vs DOM? Stronger, weker, easier to bend, etc? The rule book does not specify, and I`m not sure it makes any difference, but there may be a price difference? Anyone? :?

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:59:16 AM »
DOM gives a near perfect id/od for thickness and roundness. HREW is just that. Rolled for roundness on od only and weld seam removed on od only. Each manufacturer has their own tolerances.
Some of this tubing is pressure tested for liquid use, some is not. I would stay away from the non-pressure tested tubing only becuse I had one piece split while trying to bend it. Never bought anymore.
John

Offline John Burk

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:14:16 AM »
As I understand it dom tubing is welded seam tubing that has been cold drawn through dies and over mandrels . Cold working aligns the grains which raises yield and ultimate . Same for steel plate which is hot rolled and becomes stronger from cold rolling . Music wire has the grains so well aligned from repeated drawing it can have an ultimate strength of 450,000 psi with just steel and carbon .

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
If you really want to know what you are buying, you need to have a conversation with the supplier about what ASTM standard the tubing is built to, and make it plain you want to get a copy of the material certifications from the supplier that apply to the particular batch of material that you are buying.  After determining what standards the supplier has available, you can look up the chemistry, dimensions, tolerances, grade, and manufacturing method in the ASTM standards books.
Without the certs from a reputable supplier, you really don’t know what you have.  You should determine what standard and grade you want, and order accordingly.  The tubing itself should also have the standard painted on the OD from the manufacturer.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
Too much of this material is made offshore, it does not have the grading painted on it.
In some cases, the sales rep will forward you the specs of the available material in stock.
I always get the test sheets with materials, it can help cover you in the case of failure or litigation.

I don't have my rule book handy, I think it specs DOM and ERW tubing.

Personally, if I split a piece of tubing on the bender, it is going back to the supplier and that lot/heat of material will never come back here.

I have not been testing materials here like I used to, time to take this back up again. (weld pcs together and tear the weld apart on a press, not real application but helps with peace of mind).

John

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:41 PM »
Guys--Thankyou! I really appreciate your input, plus it gives me more ammo to ensure I get what I want, and know the differences. I`ve put cages and bars together , but they were ALL supplied by customers ( I`ve refused the liability of supplying any pieces like this myself...)......more knowledge is always better.... :cheers:

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Before anyone says, I just looked at the SCTA book.
There is no mention of DOM or ERW tubing. Sorry, inprinted detail from another spec.

John

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »
  Paul, Pacific Machinery & Tool Steel in Portland should have it or call Marty Strode out in North Plains.                             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Pete1

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
This website will give you a general description of some tubing.
http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/rollbar.htm

In Tacoma you can get ERW at Interwest Metals on old 99 right at the
north end of the Puyallup river bridge.
They have mild steel bars, angles and flat plate also.
Look in the "Rem" pile for small pieces, cheaper.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 12:29:04 AM »
Crap, Bob, I never thought of calling Marty....I`ll probably have to order a few lengths though. Wonder what the price difference is for the same material from different suppliers?...Hmmm.... :|

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »
I have procured tube from Tube Service without any problem.  I did buy 1.75 dia .130 tube just to have a little extra strength.