Author Topic: few questions  (Read 5663 times)

Offline roadrage41

• New folks
few questions
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
A buddy of mine and I are interested in getting into land speed racing.

What we have to work with possibly on the cheap - back halfed Geo metro with a 3.8 Turbo v6. Its 8.50 legal for nhra. The car has been mothballed for a few years, needs to see the light of day again.

Does the rule book spell out either the changes needed to the cage for Max effort, or how fast we can go with what its got? We both have kids and wives that would rather us not do this lol, so Wed prefer to err on the side of safety.

The car has gone 157 with a glide and 3.30 gears.

Should we just rent a corolla instead?

Offline 55chevr

Re: few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:29:12 AM »
I think you answered your own question.  Get the rulebook. The spec-s for the cage are very detailed.

Offline roadrage41

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
How much changes from year to year, go ahead and order now or wait for the 2012? We'd like to hit the first Ohio event atleast to get a feel for things and learn what needs to be changed mechanically with the car.

Offline roadrage41

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
Also, digging around a bit it looks like the car would be E/BGC class?

"This class encompasses coupes, sedans, and convertibles which must have an engine swap, quickchange rear end, or a non-stock supercharger,"

It's got all of the above.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
But you have to be very careful with the reading the rulebook (and trying to explain it as well).  I do believe if you are in BGC the motor must be from the same manufacture and offered in the car for that model year.  One of the intents of BGC is a production type vehicle with a aftermarket forced induction.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »
In the SCTA rule book /GC & /BGC have no rule restruction on engine type or model.../PRO has the engine restrictions and If I remember correctly it's the same in the ECTA Book..I could be wrong, been there before.. :-D

Bill  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:53:20 PM by BHR301 »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
Bill is corrcet.  I cant speak for the ECTA rules, but the SCTA rules do not have an engine type / model restriction on GC or BGC.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

LittleLiner

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
If this your car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=9sdjKUZQHKg

You say the car is back halfed so I assume you are running rear wheel drive.  Converting from front to rear wheel drive pushes a coupe Sedan out of Gas Coupe into the Altered classes.  Probably E/BGALT.  If you run Nitrous or non-event gas you would be in the fuel classes.  That would be E/BFALT.  If you stay under 175 with ECTA you will not need a chute but since you have hit a 157 plus speed in the quarter this car could likely exceed the 175 mark.  In any case a chute over 150 ain't a bad idea.

Get the rulebook now (2011) and check this web site for any news of slight changes for 2012.  In years past rule changes were discussed here prior to the release of rule books.   

After you get the rule book and have a chance to read the details you might consider contacting Joe Timney.  He is not only the head honcho of ECTA but also a professional, experienced chassis builder with extensive drag racing credentials.  So he can translate NHRA 8.50 et specs to accepatble (or not acceptable) LSR -ECTA specs.

LittleLiner

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
I may have been wrong about the chute.  In LSR your safety equipment requirements are set to the level of your class's record speed and not your car's speed.  As of September the ECTA records for E/BGALT and E/BFalt are both over 175 so that will require a chute.

ECTA has talked about reseting the records to zero for Wilmington so I am not sure how this will effect stuff like this . . .

Offline roadrage41

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
That's the car, hatch is blue now, front end is black. Was up all morning looking at Hans devices, parachutes and fire suppression systems. Ill have to get over Monday and get a money order to send out. Thanks guys, I'm sure we'll have a hundred more questions before the end of April.

Offline roadrage41

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
And yes, rear wheel drive, runs race gas, the 35 shot just gets it off the line, none of the YouTube videos are very accurate because none of them are owner uploaded. "Gnx" motor lol.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I know it's an old thread, but I was curious if you were able to run the Metro in Ohio.