Author Topic: First time to El Mirage  (Read 13467 times)

Offline driveline

• New folks
First time to El Mirage
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
Headed out for the November meet, any tips for a first timer. Are there food vendors. Some does and don'ts would be helpful. Thanks
visit:   intrepidracing.com

Offline RichFox

Re: First time to El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
The two day meet is usually a good one, but can be very cool. I was there one year when it snowed. So bring warm things in case you need them. I bring my food. I know you can get coffee Stay off the course. Do walk the line up. Get close and ask questions but not right at the start or two or three back. Have fun. Pick your class for next year. Buy my Vega.

Offline geh458

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
Watch your speed on the lake bed, you don't want the park security after you.  And when driving through the pits, remember that someone pushing or towing a race vehicle always has the right of way.  The last time I was out there, there was a large food service trailer near the staging lanes by the announcers stand, kind of high priced, but the burger I had was good.  And as Rich mentioned, don't be shy.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
Listen to the start tower broadcast on KWBS 88.7
Take a CB radio and listen to the inner workings from the timing trailer.
Visit the SCTA trailer opposite the start tower and buy something.
Bring a camera and take lots of pictures.
Talk to everybody. Don't talk to anybody in the front of the staging lanes, they are too busy.
Binoculars are handy.
Sit in your car near the finish line and watch the runs.
Get there EARLY. The points leaders run first.
Get there earlier and listen to the drivers meeting.
Chill - there may be down time for a spin, wind . . . Good time to visit the pits.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline driveline

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »
   Thanks for all the information. What time do the runs start?  I made the trip from Reno to Wendover for World Finals. A little wet. We decided to check out El Mirage. Looking forward to the event. Sorry Rich, I already have enough projects.

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »
Do you plan on camping or what?  It should be very cold at night. There are motels not to far from the lake bed. If you plan on over night I would not do tent or sleeping in vehicle. Have fun enjoy the event.
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
I always sleep in the bed of my pickup with a sleeping bag and extra blankets. The stars usually put on quite a show. The secret is don't drink too much beer so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night. Brrrrrrr.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline driveline

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »
       Staying at the Holiday Inn in Hesperia. Flying to LA & rental car. No heater in hotrod. Is was cold enough going to Wendover early this month. Had to stop and buy long johns.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
Driveline,

The Drivers meeting is at 7:30 and the Meet starts right after that. The first 25 cars/bikes will already be in line. Definitely start at the Starting line (in back of the fencing!) and walk back through the Staging Lanes.

The best viewing area near the finish line is on the South (spectator) side of the course. The sun will be at your back, and more importantly the wind (and dust) normally blows down the course to slightly toward the Northeast.

Have fun!

Tom

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
What channel does the CB usually run?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
What channel does the CB usually run?
Channel 1 and then channel 10 when (not if) somebody sits on their mic and keys it.  :roll: Wayno

Offline driveline

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
   What kind of traffic can I expect heading to the meet in the morning, say around 7:00. Thanks for all the advice from all who responded.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
No traffic at all - 95% of the folks are already on the lake bed around 7 am . . .
Who Has More Fun?

Offline driveline

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
Perfect, where do I purchase the BLM pass?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
When you turn off El Mirage Rd. you go about a mile up a paved road (with speed bumps). The first building you see is the BLM building where you buy your pass.

You turn left after the BLM building onto a crappy dirt road for 1/4 mile when you reach the lake bed. Following somebody is the easiest for a first timer. The lake bed is pretty torn up at that end from all of the RV traffic. It smooths out after the first 1/2 mile, but you have to keep a sharp eye out for rough spots. Stay in the middle of the lake bed.

Traffic comes from all directions and there is no speed limit on the lake bed. Keep looking in the distance and you will eventually see cars and cones. Stay to the right side and when you get to the start of the cones slow down for safety and dust control.

Speaking of dust, the alkali on the lake bed is super fine and gets into everything. Your air filter might need service.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.