Author Topic: Maxton Final Weekend  (Read 12850 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Maxton Final Weekend
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
Hey.
We're here.
Putzing with the audio and watching the sky clear.
We'll have some audio later this morning.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
Re: Maxton Final Weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
Chilly here.  Crew is out drying the track.  Looks to be nice this afternoon.  Lots of folks.  Fine noise and all the right smells.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:10 AM »
Busy place.  Looks like the track is dry, crews are off.  Lots of racers here, I'll get a figure.  And maybe some photos soon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
Max, I'd take photos -- but I don't think they'd turn out with this much frost on the lens.

It's not really that bad - but close, it seems.  The rain has stopped, at least, and the sun is starting to shine through the clouds.  The forecast does tell us to expect nice sunny skies and mid-50s this afternoon.  But -- the wind ids a headwind now and likely to get stronger as the day progresses.

So -- we're done with the driver meeting and runs have begun.  Our bike has been teched and finally the crowd of well-wishers and howdy-you folks has slowed - so I can let you out there in internetland know that we're starting to make runs.  If you're listening to the audio you already know that, though.  I'm not planning on running the bike for a few hours - 'til it's nice and warm and no headwinds.  Maybe that'll be this afternoon, maybe that'll be tomorrow, maybe that'll be next April in Wilmington.  But for now -- it's the final Maxton meet of the ECTA folks.  Stay tuned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
We're doing just the CB.  Audio check, anyone?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
Lots of low-volume, mostly inaudible conversation in the background, with an occasional ear-blasting dose from the CB.

Turning the volume down where only the cats can hear the background, it's 5-ers here in Oregon!   :cheers:

Mike

http://meridix.com/everywhere.php?liveid=landracing
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:50:58 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
Here's the story:  The computer/streaming system is sitting on the floor of the bed of our pickup.  We've switched to the speaker that's back there, and you're hearing not only the CB-- but the folks talking as they walk by and as we hook up the little trailerette and so on.  That's the voices you're hearing.

Nancy and I are in the pickup with the bike on the little trailer we use at Bonneville.  The pre-stage lines are the longest in the history of Maxton -- up to 3/4 mile.  I didn't relish the idea of walking the bike, a hundred yards at a time, all the way back from the end of the line -- so it's on the tralierette and we're in the pickup in soft chairs.

With the speaker for the CB on back there, though -- I can't hear what's what on the radio, so you kow as much or more than do we.  Enjoy it - and tell me about it later, hey?

So - winds are 10-18 headwinds and speeds are therefore way down.  I'll be happy to make one run this weekend -- get my last turn at the famous "Monster Mile", so to speak. 

The party is out here at the track tonight -- starts around 6 at the end of racing.  Nancy and I didn't know it'd be out here, so we'll go home (well, to the Crack Whore Motel) for a last-minute wardrobe change and then hasten back here for Jerry's BarbeQue and a bunch of bad jokes and loud people (a/k/a racers).  Then it's sleepy time so we can get here early enough tomorrow for a run or two. 

In the meantime, have at it, folks.  Wish you were here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Maxton participants and speckletators enjoy the last dance.

No sorrow. You are moving on.  Just get a good meal at the Feast of Maxton

and look forward to your new track.

I wish I had made the effort to have known Maxton but it's behind me now.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
We're back at the room to warm and dry and clean -- and while we're doing that (really -- just washing and changing clothes) -- I'll get a few photos up here.  I'll be back in a few minutes. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
....just keep the jump blues coming, even if I can't hear things being thrashed I'm happy listening to Sonny Terry, and of course Brownie McGhee.

Kinda keen too on hearing a certain greenish MG.

...alliteration, I know. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
I heard the MG run today as Chris re-booted the knock sensors.  Never heard another sound quite like it. 

Normally I travel with multiple blues CDs, but only brought 4 of various artists.  Chris is an audio guy, so we've been plotting a new gameplan with a mixer that will "duck" for the CB or FM announcements and allow us to play background music or voice via mic.  Gotta grow the system.

First time for me at Maxton (and the last).  Pretty cool arrangement and lots of decent rigs racing or belonging to spectators.  A Black Shadow was parked next to an Egli Vincent.  Two Vincents running, including Big Sid's son.   Being the swan song for here, lots of racers showed up.  Long line to run, but the system runs smooth.  I didn't get Slim's speed, but his Kwacker 1650 sounded great.

Tomorrow it wraps up at 2 pm forever and ever, amen.  I like these airport tracks, easy to view and wander the pits. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:57 AM »
Today was an adventure. Raining cats and dogs this morning until 10. We pitched in with brooms and the gas weed wackers and got the track dry by 12.  Nephew made 2 runs today bumped  2 records with the Buell/Smith turbo bike.  He now thinks this is easy.  He keeps breaking parts for me to fix which doesnt seem to bother him at all.  Had to rebuild the steering damper between runs as he didnt get the salt out of it from Bonneville and the Heim froze up.  I have some photos to post on the ride home. Great stuff running at this event. At 3 Donna said there were 142 entries. 

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
Good morning from Maxton, the final day before our ECTA friends leave for the green pastures of Wilmington, OH.  Slim and I have broadcast what we have the equipment to pick up and send out on the InnerWebs.  This weekend comes under the heading of "how do we do this at the mile & 1.5 venues?" 

So, a high level strategy meeting of the brain trust, which included our audio tech pro from Beertown, Chris, of the Milwaukee Midget and viola, we have a few months to collect a few items and find a meet this coming Spring for a field test. 

And Chris has the little green car in line to give it another go, checking out the adjustments made yesterday.

Okay, bass down, treble up. 

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 08:57:05 AM »
Well, where did that World Timing Federation (WTF) [temporary monicker for testing purposes only] thread.  These tarmac sprints are pretty cool.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
Yep Moxnix these "tarmac sprints" are real cool. A nice cross between drag racing and the long salt. A drag car would never servive and a long salter couldn't wind up enough.tons-o-fun. :-D :-D :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:23:36 PM by Captthundarr »
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15