Author Topic: New LSR organization  (Read 1863 times)

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
New LSR organization
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
Would anybody be interested in helping to form the Southern Florida Timing Association? I am a past member of SCTA and ECTA having held several records with ECTA back in the 90's. I live on the southeast coast of Florida about 2 hrs north of Miami. Back in the mid '80s while roadracing motorcycles I tried to start the organization to run bikes for standing mile events much like what ECTA started in the 90's for cars and bikes. Unfortunately not enough people were interested mainly due I feel to the lack of my ability to spread the word sufficiently. Fortunately we now have the net and sites like these. The site to be used back then is west of Miami out Alligator Alley. It is called (or was) the Dade Training and Transition Facility. It is 10,000 ft if memory serves and is only used for practice take off and landing for aircraft or emergency situations. It was also used occasionally for car commercials. I understand that recently a car group ran some sports and supercars there and that they were able to lease the site. It is near to another site owned by Harley Davidson but originally built by Ford so I am told. It has a long straight the length of which is unknwn to me. It is for sale and presently under contract to an owner of a pro racing team who plans to use it for a test facility. Maybe it is also a potential site.I also understand that there are abandoned strips at the defunct Homestead AFB south of Miami.

I am sure that interest could be generated for LSR events here in Florida as there are a ton of car and bike racers in this state, not to mention others in the Southeast who do not want to travel to Ohio now in order to run with the ECTA. I have never done any organization such as this, know nothing about timing equipment or legal requirements but I would be willing to help anyone who knows more and would like to get something like this going down here.

regards, Jim Reed

Offline mtkawboy

Re: New LSR organization
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Im from Miami , but left to move to America in 1980 in Montana and there already was a South Florida Timing Association in the early years {50s to 70s} for drag racing, so Id like to see it happen. That was also one of the very favorite pot drop areas in the 70s & 80s. I think it was once supposed to be the new Miami Airport but for some reason never happened

Offline RansomT

Re: New LSR organization
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Haven't "they" in recent past, run the Miami mile?

http://www.milemarker-1.com/