Author Topic: How do I link 2 engines rotating in reverse?  (Read 15487 times)

Offline TheSteelMan23

• New folks
Re: How do I link 2 engines rotating in reverse?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 01:57:57 PM »
"Roy Steen built and installed one of these in the Herbert-Steen four engined big block Chevy powered car with very mixed results. It would build heat quickly due to the internal friction of the rapidly cycling torsional loads and experienced numerous failures of the gears, bearings, and shafts."

This is some information that I was given on the Herbert-Steen setup. I haven't seen it and don't know about it but it does make quite a bit of sense to me now that it has been brought to my attention. Now I am up in the air as to whether I should build a AWD system that is not linked or whether I should build a two engined RWD setup. I do not have the budget to counter rotate one of the motors or to build a system to tie them together counter rotating.

Any Suggestions?
I have two speeds... Fast, and "What the hell was that!"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
Sparky, the only problem the car has is a partnership problem. Now that Chet is gone nothing has changed, his part has gone to Doug & he has what appears to be another failing partnership in another liner project.
The car has never had big block Chevy engines in it. They are 525 inch Rodeck's with special high port heads. It was initially built with dominator carbs but in 91 when I started working on it, we changed it over to Hilborn units & also stretched it to accommodate the 7 speed B&J's. The Rodeck's made just over 1500hp each on the dyno at that time.
Steelman, the only real advantage to counter-rotating engines is that the chassis won't torque load one side & if you dont have machining capabilities you might not want to go there.
If you are in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to come & check out my liner build. It's a real low budget 4WD car, using lots off the shelf & junk yard parts. It's 35" wide, 31" tall & 43ft long, built to accommodate two engines but I only have one 605 inch turbo'd KB600 in there now. I'm in SE Idaho about 45 miles north of the Utah state line.
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Steelman, looks like you'll need to pack an extra sandwich if you're going to stop buy. I'll send a reply to your pm with contact info.
  Sid.

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
back in OCT,28,2011
Mr.  "BHR301 stated that mister IVO did not have a side by side that had one blown and one standard rotation engine..

well, there are a number of photos of both of his side by side cars in "LIONS ...the greatest dragstrip" part three...