Author Topic: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?  (Read 27218 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Welcome, Alexander.  I believe you're the first person from Russia to register on this Forum, and as the guy that runs the Forum and the website -- I'd like to make sure you can take the time now and then to let us know about land speed racing in your country.  We look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Best regards --

Jon (also known as Seldom Seen Slim)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
Здравствуйте Alexander.  

We can search YouTube for "Moscow Unlim 500 English" to enjoy learning about your venues with subtitles.  Unlimited 500 is for cars with 500 hp and up:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdCpjhALmsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtKAYn1QDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oDzGeMZME

It's relative to the mile races we have here, except only one car goes down the track at a time in the US.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov81RG7jxnI&feature=related

I found my copy of the first 8 pages of World Land Speed Records Federation  "Operating Procedures and General Running Regulations."  When I've finished reading them again, I'll see if there is anything to put here regarding forming a true world organization.

Thanks for posting, Alexander.  You get many very nice cars competing.  People may have something to say here about safety equipment, helmets and driving suits.  

Maybe we need to take up a collection to send Tony over with a camera for more Avatar photos.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:48:09 AM by Moxnix »
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Engine measurement without a strip down may be possible for most entrants using the instruments which can reach through the spark plug position or measure volume displaced.  If you want an official record badly enough then an entrant would accept a strip down to measure.  Have we reached the stage that this is the only stumbling block?  Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »
The problem, as I see it, with a complete tear down in the mile events is time.  Mile events are weekend events with hard-in-fast start and stop times. (We are at the mercy of the folks who really own the track) I can see averaging two runs, but what do you do when a first pass qualifying run is set on Sunday afternoon at 4 pm?  Where is the time for the second run and tear down?  If you compress the event to "only qualifying" runs can be done on Saturday, then I see foresee a major safety risk.  Instead of doing a shake down run or two, a lot of guys, because of time, will go "all out" on their first run.

Of course we could hold a mile event using the same setup as Bonneville (two run average and engine tear downs), if Stan would donate enough money to the ECTA to purchase the land and build a dedicated track.    :-D :-D :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
Time is a red herring. A complete teardown would be very unusual. In most cases the removing of one cylinder head so displacement can be measured is adequate. The rules should be written such that other internal parts shouldn't have to be checked ie: the requirement for stock parts makes tech a much more difficult endeavor. Lots of smaller courses use a single run to set a record. Bonneville is the exception rather than the rule.

Lots of oval tracks run evening events with tear downs at the end of the event. It's then up to the competitor to bundle things back together. If he doesn't accept the teardown he doesn't get the win and often forfeits either some or all of his points. It's a simple operation to seal an engine after a record performance and then do the measuring at the end of the meet. Many organizations require holes for seals to be drilled before a competitor ever runs.

The honor system should work but unfortunately there are always individuals who lack honor and therefore cheat both themselves and the rest of the competitors to get a little mantle decoration.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:58:44 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
>>>WLSRF Operating Regulations, Nov. 2001, Issue 1

>>>Section 1.08 Final Examination

>>>Immediately after the completion of  a record breaking run the vehicle must be taken to the designated impound area / scrutineering bay / parc ferme  to be inspected by an appointed official.  It is permitted to allow access for publicity and press photographs to be taken and interviews of the driver/rider.  No work is permitted on the vehicle when in impound unless directed by an event Official.  Within 1 hour of reaching impound the technical official(s) will confirm compliance or otherwise with class regulations, engine capacity (displacement) limits and technical requirements.  The vehicle owners may be required to remove cylinder head(s) for engine capacity (displacement) verification.  Photographic record of the vehicle may be required for forwarding to WLSRF.

That's how it is addressed by WLSRF rules.  

As to whether or not this will translate into an international weekend format is the question.  But without sizing the motors after a race . . . . .

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:55:10 PM by Moxnix »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
"WLSRF" - what is this?  Is this like the LSA?

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
World Land Speed Record Federation

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
Max

How widely have these ten year old rules been circulated?  Do you think many US racers have seen them.

I think I know the author.

Malcolm

Offline k.h.

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
You do.  PM me your address and I'll mail a copy of the car rules, as that's all I have. 

My faith in our British cousins as efficient in the matter of administering racing activities gives me hope that perhaps a governing body will emerge to bring the airstrip (or in the case of the Russians, highway) timing events under a single umbrella.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Pasis

• New folks
    • Gsxrclub.ru

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »
Spasiba, Pasis!

Offline Pasis

• New folks
    • Gsxrclub.ru
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Another video, you can see here:
http://www.gsxrclub.ru/index.php?topic=38434.0

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
I am not at all good with Russian and now there is an event in Finland too. Growing number of countries hosting 1 milers. Malcolm