Author Topic: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?  (Read 27230 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
After speaking with a member of the Speed Record Club from the UK who was in attendance at WoS, I'm curious to know if racers at Wilmington, Loring, Texas, Mojave and whatever other mile courses might be in the works would be interested in running in timed events under a national and international governing body that has classes per the SCTA format?  Race your bike or car on a record against someone in Italy, England or Oz? 

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline dw230

Re: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
While this is a noble idea the organizers at Texas and Mojave have no interest(to date) to offer a unified rules and record package for their events. Loring and Wilmington( nee Maxon) are close. I see from my reading that there some differences between the two. A major difference is the ability and desire to run for 1.5 miles at Loring. I don't know if this is a possibiliy at Wilmington next year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
Well, there could be 1 mile and 1.5 mile records accorded by the governing body depending on the length of a specific venue.  1 mile or 1.5 mile records, 1 kilo records to accommodate those who live in metric countries if it fits.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
DLRA just upgraded a tag heuer wireless timing setup,
DLRA use the SCTA rule book
DLRA run on a salt lake
DLRA run the same classes as SCTA , but for two
DLRA recognize SCTA Licenses
DLRA use Miles per hour
Doesn't seem that hard

International governing body politics?

Oh well

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
So, the system of classes in Oz works for the DLRA.  I think I'd better got on the the Brit and see it it's worth pursuing in that direction.  With the goal of avoiding international governing body politics.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
Too many variables ... course length/surface/shutdown/altitude ... not to mention certification

LittleLiner

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »
Too many variables ... course length/surface/shutdown/altitude ... not to mention certification

ditto

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:42 PM »
Bonneville- 4200ft +/- elevation, El Mirage- 2840 +/-, traction is different, some of the same vehicles run.  Mojave Mile- 2791+?- , Loring- 746 +/-,  Wilmington- 1077,etc.  Pavement offers better traction.  Run 1.5 mi. at the long track, along with 1 mi. and 1 kilo.  1 mi. & 1 kilo at the mile tracks.  Certification of a record would be according to a "to be" developed criteria.  Seems to work for the ECTA.  For example, Bill Warner's run at Loring is the fastest sit on motorcycle ever timed, to my knowledge.  It's certainly widely known.  Point being, would that record have more status over the long run, and as a historical marker, if it was recognized by a national or international body?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
The FIM has certified records in the past that were not run at Bonneville, such as at Daytona, Brooklands, Arpajon, Schleifheim, Cork, Gyon, Frankfurt, and Bergamo.  The Frankfurt ones were on the autobahn, I think.  There is your answer.  Have the track certified for FIM competition.  This would work for the bikes.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:35 AM »
The FIM has certified records in the past that were not run at Bonneville, such as at Daytona, Brooklands, Arpajon, Schleifheim, Cork, Gyon, Frankfurt, and Bergamo.  The Frankfurt ones were on the autobahn, I think.  There is your answer.  Have the track certified for FIM competition.  This would work for the bikes.

Would also require FIM certification..are you running FIM or willing to pay the added costs?

fIM stands for f...ing Ignorant Morons as far as I am concerned.  Stupid Frenchies could not even turn in the paperwork and then blames the racer for not "following up" in time...

Your results may vary..

John

Offline maj

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:52 AM »
Chance of getting a mile in Oz is slim, most of our WW2 airstrips have been shortened for light commercial or agricultural use
and very difficult to get use on an active airfield
but there are several that could get a 1km course happening  , Insurance being the biggest problem,  one i have been trying to get something happening on requires a $20mil policy , costing at least $7k, sort of hard to get the ball rolling with that sort of startup cost before factoring in other expenses

If anyone has tips or ideas i'm all ears  :-)

Offline maj

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 03:19:48 AM »
Oh and i am wondering do the SCTA realy want to get involved in these mile events when there more ECTA territory at the moment
Just seems the ECTA has the experiance in this area ???
Any UK guys here want to comment about there setups and regulations and how they compare to current SCTA, ECTA,AMA or FIM regs ?

There is a good chance at least on the bike side of things that we could get a better deal with insurance involving MA (motorcycling Australia), and CAMs for the cars, but they talk to each other as often as FIA and FIM  :-( ...

And i'm not as bias as John about the FIM/FIA but still cautious
EG at the cook shootout we attended the FIA dinner and while talking to the Aussie rep , he commented "we should do this sort of thing (landracing) in Australia , my reply... we do... , Oh, for how long.....21 years...  :roll:                                         

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Just to throw another wrench in the works ... BNI/USFRA/AMA/FIM on the salt flats time an entire mile not just 132 ft as the mile/mile-half do.

Offline bak189

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
Hey, John N.....the FIM rep. that lost your paper work was not from France......Also to all of you that keep noting that FIM is French....note that the FIM main office is in Geneva, Switzerland.....Does that make them any better??.....not really....................................................

PS. Last time I checked most of  the FIM top people were not French
but mainly from Latino countries....Hey, but it is great fun to pick on the French....so keep it up..................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
French or Swiss either way the FIM is a joke, the cars get one hour turn around and the bikes get two?

Time for a change... :evil: