Author Topic: Cones to mark places in line?  (Read 9505 times)

Offline entropy

Re: Cones to mark places in line?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Don't get me going on cones; abuses at every turn and most of the abusers don't even know they are displaying poor grid etiquette.

The ONLY cones which should be allowed are for bikes/cars which need special care, and the cones MUST be attended.

When i am in grid and have a cone in front of me with no one around, i pitch it into the weeds. I sure as shit don't move it up when the line moves.

It's simple.  Don't let anyone onto the grid until 6am, no one. Have someone there policing it. 
No fukken cones unless the vehicle is nearby getting its tires warmed or something.
No need to make it complicated.

But the basic  issue isn't cones, it's allowing too many people register for the event.

Offline sabat

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
Well, I think we've cleared that up :)

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »
Seems like I stirred up a can of worms!  I really only wanted to know what the acceptable protocol was. I sure as heck am not going to place a cone if it annoys someone else.  It seems that the most reasonable use of cones in place of vehicles would be for reasons of impending bad weather, or if there is a security issue.  I may bring one with me, as I probably wouldn't want to leave my bike in line in a driving wind or rain storm.  But I won't be using it unless absolutely necessary.  Necessary to me means that if a whole bunch of others are doing it, I wouldn't feel bad joining the crowd.  As for starting the line the night before, it seems to be an acceptable practice.  I didn't do so on Friday night, and was amazed when arriving at 7:30 in the morning that the line stretched all the way around the paddock.

As for the organization of the Loring meet, I have already praised the professionalism shown at the July meet elsewhere on this forum and I'll say it again. Congratulations on a job well done.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Having been involved in LSR since 1953 it seems to me everyone is trying to jump the gun on how the new venue in Ohio is to be run. Joe & Keith as well as the other volunteers have a lot on their plate to make it all happen in a orderly manner. At El Mirage we (SCTA) have operating procedures for the event on the dry lake.
It is available on line for all to read. This procedure is updated each year as necessary.

I would think that each of you send your suggestions to the ECTA web site. As it is a new venue in another state with the facility and the city requirements along with everything that requires permits, safety equipment crowd control, signs for staging, pit area return roads, speeds on the same etc. The list is long and subject to many changes for the first event to happen.

The general lay out of the facility I have not seen but I am sure each entrant will get one when arriving and be directed to the pit area along with any other instructions for the event. I hope the Joe and Keith print out a Q & A and suggestion sheet as a guide line for  them and the racers to work together with ECTA and the state / local city to make this a great and welcome event for all.

:-) :cheers:

OOPS, sorry I placed this in the LTA venue. Should go in the ECTA/Wilmington Ohio section, maybe Jon can move it.
Some years back getting a spot near the front of the line for a fresh course to run on there were racers bringing their cars and putting them in line 3 or 4 days before the event. At that time it was decided to be fair to everyone to re do the point system and the next events points would get your place in line. That system is still used today. There was no security at the lakes and you took a chance of leaving a vehicle sit for 2 or 3 days.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:59:31 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline entropy

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
Having been involved in LSR since 1953 it seems to me everyone is trying to jump the gun on how the new venue in Ohio is to be run. ... :-) :cheers:

Glen, it's great to see someone even older than I (63) still doing LSR :cheers:

BTW:  this is an LTA thread...  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Karl

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
That sound fair. I would like that the bike replaces the cone in the AM. Don't just move the cone forward.
Totaly not allowed, the bike leaves the starting line and the cone is moved to some location in staging.

DW

This is exactly the intent.  Plus, we are not talking about staging.  We are talking about the line that forms at the exit to the pits to get to staging.  On sunday morning, if there was not a bike were the cone was, the cone was not allowed to go to staging.  There is a lot more being made of this than Tom ever intended.  The procedure for "coning up" and what is allowed in line is covered in the new version of the rule book to address any participants that do not understand sportsmanship.  From the tone of this thread, I guess our racers feel that there are more than I thought.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Having been involved in LSR since 1953 it seems to me everyone is trying to jump the gun on how the new venue in Ohio is to be run. ... :-) :cheers:

Karl

Karl --- only 63 years od ... a mere child ...

Joe

Offline entropy

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
Karl
Karl --- only 63 years od ... a mere child ...
Joe

joe, there are 2 d's in "odd"...  like the toast goes:  "for he's a jolly odd fellow, for he's a jolly odd fellow..."

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
You Old and Odd  fellows crack me up...

But I still Luv Ya...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »
Glen, I'll leave your post where it sits.  While sure, it could go to the ECTA thread -- it's on topic here about basic procedures for any race event, and that's what's being discussed here - for Loring.  So I'll let it ride.  Anyway, I don't know how to move just one post (well, maybe I do, but if I admit it then I'll get scads of requests to move things :evil:).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com