Author Topic: Couple questions on a new gas coupe build  (Read 3064 times)

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
Couple questions on a new gas coupe build
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »
Nissan 240sx hatchback being built for Gas Coupe.

Been working with my chassis guy and have a couple questions.

1) He suggested installing all Lexan windows with quarter-turn (DSUS style) fasteners.  I've been out on the salt for 5 years crewing for a couple customers of ours, and I don't recall seeing a bunch of that (quarter turn fasteners on the windows specifically).  I see nothing in the rulebook preventing it, but wanted to run it past the experts here.  They'll also have the requisite retainer tabs.

2) Seat.  I want to run a full containment style seat, along with a funny car style cage.  The rulebook pretty much says to run a aluminum seat, though that composite seats may be able to be approved.  My chassis guy pretty much hates Kirkey's and suggested a Sparco Pro ADV or Sparco Circuit.  Both are competition seats and are FIA rated.

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_comp.asp?id=635
http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_comp.asp?id=656

Benefits of these compared to the Kirkey full containment (45 series) I was looking at is the smaller footprint, and likely a bit cheaper once you pay kirkey for the separate padding and seat cover, etc.

I'm sure the answer is to contact the officials, but this is the 'SCTA Rule Question' forum, so are the proper officials here?

I'll have more questions I'm sure, pretty sure I had one more I can't recall now (darn headache medicine foggin up the noggin). 

Thanks in advance!
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Couple questions on a new gas coupe build
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
If there are I'm damn sure they won't identify themselves. I wouldn't either. Can you imagine the posts they might be on the receiving end. This tends to be an opinion and gripe area, also known as discussion. If you're looking for a firm ruling you can add to your logbook contact the person in charge of the class for which you're building.

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
Any official answer to rules are from the rules committee on the SCTA web site or by a direct phone call to the proper person for that category of vehicle. The answers on landracing will in 99%  of the time direct you to the SCTA web site/rules section. There are no officials on this site other then to try to help but by using the SCTA/BNI rule book and rules section as mentioned above. They also have forms to use to keep track of all questions and rule change requested.

Landracing is a great all around site and much is learned here. ECTA, USFRA and SCTA are all different in some rules. LTA, Mojave & Texas have different rules & classes and run 1 mile or 1-1/2 mile on airport runways.

Hope this all makes sense.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »
As an occaisional fabricator I'm not crazy about the Dzus buttons holding in the windows. I'm sure JL1222 guys have a better solution for instance. The Pro Mod drag race cars,etc. Poteet's Barracuda (?)  etc.

Starting from scatch any safety seat IMHOP is good. (Although the ban on fibregass seats yrs truly was under the impression meant PLASTIC like, excuse the criticism again, J#Z.

Guranteed a proper fibreglass seat with stategic reinforcements and mounting can perform as well as the Kirkey types.

Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers don't lobby for their product over differently  designed.The drag world seems to show this trend.

Off my soapbox (again).
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
Talk to Jacksoni, he has a 240. The qtr windows are prob to curved for Dzus fastners to work
He has posted on this topic below.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10298.45.html