Author Topic: Grocery Wagon/Bargain Beater/Family Truckster Build  (Read 17955 times)

LittleLiner

Re: Grocery Wagon/Bargain Beater/Family Truckster Build
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »
. . . . We won't need a parachute to our first year's speed goal.
We'll be using a modified engine and transaxle from a 1990 Taurus SHO to power the wagon. . . . .

Current record for F/GC is 162.274 set by Don McMeekin at Speedweek.  (assuming it will be the new official record)  That speed is still less than the 175 mph Reguirement for a chute. 

To be a Gas Coupe you need to have an engine swap where you have an engine not offered in that year and model car.  Since the SHO engine was not offered in the wagon I would guess that it would be considered an engine swap.  You might want to confirm that with a real, live, card-carrying SCTA official.  I've been wrong before  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Why would it not be official? The car was certified for the record, the record has been posted and the time frame for a protest is long gone. We are a little bit better than you assume.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
I think he meant that the "New" record that the Taurus would try to set, would be under 175 and therefore not need a chute.

LittleLiner

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »
Why would it not be official? The car was certified for the record, the record has been posted and the time frame for a protest is long gone. We are a little bit better than you assume.
DW
The 2011 records haven't been posted yet to the SCTA records listing.  I did look at the 2011 Speedweek results and saw the new record but I hadn't checked the WOS results  . . . so I was assuming the Speedweek record would be the new official record.  I probably should have said  "assuming it will be the new official record if no one set a faster one at World of Speed". 

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
OK.

I'll see why all the records, Speed Week and WoS have not been updated on the record list.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Dan, the Speedweek Friday results still haven't been updated (daily runs and daily records).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
And World Finals -- the first time at Bonneville that a 4-door sedan had top time of the meet.  They're looking forward to the new award from Popular Boating.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
So is this thing showing up to Speed Week or what?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
It isn't pre-entered -- so there goes an opportunity to get a "Bargain" entry.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records