Author Topic: goodyear 5" frontrunners  (Read 2568 times)

Offline racer10

• New folks
goodyear 5" frontrunners
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
Looking to purchase 5'' Goodyear frontrunner tires. 530-979-6276

Offline iskipnw

• New folks
Re: goodyear 5" frontrunners
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Not sure what exact size these are, but I have a set of Tire, Eagle Dragway Special Front Runner, 23 x 5-15 that I was going to use on the front of my roadster, but they are now spares.  They have never been mounted and are brand new.
Ken

Offline racer10

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I need the 5"x5" 'D2187' frontrunner that the dragsters used 20 years ago.

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
I have a brand new set of 24x5x15 GoodYear Front Runners, tire nubs still on tire, bought a couple of months ago, could not use - needed different size. 

John.
410 757-1994.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
The D2187 front tire, otherwise known as the Don Garlits tire is getting in pretty short supply.  GY has not made the tire in recent times.

Depending on the type of car you plan, they may or may not be appropriate.  At speeds over 200 MPH on the salt they will be difficult to sell to the tech committee.  I'm not saying they are not legal, but at speeds over 200 they tend to chunk.  SCTA and ECTA know this and may or may not allow you to run at real fast speeds.  I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue this, but do a LOT of talking to the appropriate committe members before you commit tons of money and time.  I looked into shaving and buffing, but the folks I trust wouldn't touch them, even if I made the fixtures.

An alternative for the salt is an alloy version of this tire, but I didn't want to do that.  Non rubber tires presents new problems of their own.
So instead the front tires and suspension of the liner version of my car is quite conventional.

When I tested my lakester on the salt with 4 "2187" front tires on the front, they were quite stable, didn't provide a problem, BUT, I was not going over 175 MPH due to shifting problems and having a mule engine of "Low" HP.
I was convinced during that outing in 04 that my car needed suspension. (and 21 inch front tires)  This was the opportunity to rebuild the car into the liner that I always really wanted.

Oh, the only tires I have left are planned for the war wagon.  All others were redistributed a few years ago.
Rick