Author Topic: Luggage Rack Remove for /GC legal?  (Read 19335 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Luggage Rack Remove for /GC legal?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
I would start out by finding an original brochere for photos and do a search on the base model of the vehicle in question. I would also find out if it could have been ordered with a "delete".

The Post Office used many minivans with no roof racks.......................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
Krek,
          Whats the make, model and year of your project?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline krek

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
1990 Ford Taurus station wagon, trim package L (base).

Thanks for the help, fellows!

Offline Jorge

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
I have a friend that works for ford, I'll give him a call and ask if he can get some info for you. I have to stop by that dealer Saturday and I'll ask too.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
Krek,

Just got a call back from my buddy at ford and he was able to find out a few things. All first generation station wagons came with luggage racks as standard. He also found out some sedan models where offered with luggage racks, but as for the station wagons they came standard.

Offline JR529

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
Here is a picture I found on the net of a 1990 taurus station wagon. Is this the model and the rack in question?

I don't think that the rack could be considered "minor chrome trim or emblems". The Ford blue oval on the rear door? yes, the taurus logo on the rear door? yes, the luggage rack? not even close.  :-P

If there was any version that didn't have it from the factory then you are OK but the burden of proof will be yours to meet.

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
If that is the way they all came then you have to use it. It is your responsibility to prove the accessory one way or the other. That thing is pretty aero.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
Actually, this thing is pretty aero... afterall it is an Aerostar.  :-D

Oooh, look.  No roof racks.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
Here is a picture I found on the net of a 1990 taurus station wagon. Is this the model and the rack in question?

I don't think that the rack could be considered "minor chrome trim or emblems". The Ford blue oval on the rear door? yes, the taurus logo on the rear door? yes, the luggage rack? not even close.  :-P

If there was any version that didn't have it from the factory then you are OK but the burden of proof will be yours to meet.

But the crossbars unbolt, and the siderails are already roofrails?  :wink:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
If the crossbars are adjustable, they would surely have to potential to fly off at high speed and should be removed.  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Once again I'll bring up the "delete" option. Do your homework. I don't care if something is considered "standard" on a vehicle; it still might be ordered with a a delete option. Many citys would do things like this. Contact a Ford dealership that you are familiar with and work with them. If it was possible' get it in writing and start from there. If it's proven Dan has always backed guys with legit paperwork otherwise you need to look for another vehicle................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JR529

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
But the crossbars unbolt, and the siderails are already roofrails?  :wink:

The fenders unbolt also.  :mrgreen:

Offline Jorge

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 05:12:30 AM »
Jimmy Six,

He's still looking into that delete option, he didn't have enough time to get all the details. Plus I'll be at that same dealership Saturday and I'll ask in person as well.

Offline krek

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
I have my documentation.

The luggage rack delete was a $105 (credit) option on this car.

Excellent suggestion Jimmie Six and thank you Jorge for all the help!

Offline Jorge

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »
Good Luck on your build and keep us posted   :cheers: