Author Topic: dodge going for 160 in texas  (Read 11193 times)

gunracer1

dodge going for 160 in texas
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
well this is not a all out race effort. it is a daily driven street truck that i would like to make very fast. we have dubbed it project 11:30, shooting for 11 second quarter and 30 miles per gallon.  it started out as a 98 dodge reg cab 3/4 ton with a cummins and a auto. i cut 16"s out of the frame between the cab and the rear axle, and 4 more inches off the rear of the frame. i got real lucky and picked up a short box with a tailgate for 215 bucks from a junk yard. i rearched the rear springs till they were flat, that was a mistake, too low and smacked the bumpstops all the time. so i have since rearched another set. the front has one full coil cut off it to keep it streetable. i was planning on a air ride set up but i don't have the time or money right now to do it. the motor has 240k on it and runs fine. i switched to a 913 injection pump, and a set of lenny's dynomite diesel stage 4 injectors. i have plenty of fuel for 700 plus rwhp, but i need air. so this weekend i will see about putting on a set of compound turbo charger set  up on it and get the power out of it. we have cranked up the line pressures on the transmission trying to get it to hold the power, and i have another torque converter that i need to install. i will have it at goliad  and see what it will do. here are a few pics, i will post some more when i get the turbos on it. mike

gunracer1

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »
converter is in, compound turbos are on. it s getting closer.

gunracer1

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
the fancy lift

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:54:56 PM »
I love the looks of the truck with the short box on it :D .  The lift scares the sh... out of me :wink: .

I've heard of compound turbos before, but never saw a picture of that set-up.  Pretty neat.  Has this been done before with that motor in a pickup that you know of?

Good luck with it and be sure and post your times at the drags and Goliad.

c ya, Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
dodge
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
Sum, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the truck being held up with a fork lift. Don't look safe to me.
Truck looks great tho.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Why ?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »
Why wouldn't it be just like any other hydraulic 2 stem lift.
Many don't have the manual safety. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 07:38:40 PM »
Why wouldn't it be just like any other hydraulic 2 stem lift.

Because one is bolted to the floor and the other is on wheels. This is an accident waiting to happen. The fork lifts may have the capacity to lift the weight, but you have to wonder what the forks are holding, and how stable it is. The insurance companies pay out millions from risky deals like this.
Proof?

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
We have a factory built, fully insured air over oil lift that will take a vehicle just as high. It has a safety lock in case of hydraulic failure. The shop forklift has the same feature that will lock in until the down operation releases it. The wheels are locked if the pedals are released. Not all machines have those features.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
thanks Dean, classic pictures.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Life is cheaper in some places.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:26:55 PM »
Most of the cost to produce safety equipment in the US is Insurance.
You bet your life. :wink:

gunracer1

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
did any of yall here how dangerous to go fast. many people have died in the quest for speed. i think i will just pull 400 or so hp out of the truck to make it safer.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Count them up
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 11:02:14 AM »
The highest rate is with the people that are least prepared. :wink:

gunracer1

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »
well i dynoed it last saturday and  i am still down to 0 on the fuel pressure at full boost. it did 493 at the rear wheels on a mustang dyno. and i have a idea for a new fuel system that will kick in at 20 pounds of boost. i should be well over 600 rwhp with what i have. Ad i knew it was weak but we all had a blast at the dyno saturday, i bet they did 40 truck.

Offline }{ead$hot Zod

• http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 01:52:26 PM »
I'll be very excited to see how fast you go. I have almost all my parts for the p-pump conversion.
1992 Dodge D250 Cummins running biodiesel and waste vegetable oil.

#284 ?/DT

"I don't do use drugs but my truck does"
->Stage III Meth injector.

http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com