Author Topic: - Honda 750 SOHC Stories, Project Ideas, History? -  (Read 23920 times)

Offline Warp12

- Honda 750 SOHC Stories, Project Ideas, History? -
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
I just picked this bike up (a freebie):

It runs, title says 14k miles. Of course it needs some restoration. I am not sure what to do with it. Do these bikes have much of an LSR history? Anyway, I'm going to be kicking around some project ideas. I'm not sure if I am going to keep it or not?

I'd love to hear if there is any lore with these, or from those who have raced them. I also love to see any pics, hear your suggestions, etc...

Shane
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:31:06 PM by Warp12 »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: - Honda 750 SOHC Stories, Project Ideas, History? -
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
gee, if you can't figure it out and it is taking up space I like freebie's. I had a 1970 CB750 and it was a fun street bike to ride and sounded like an Offy.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
In the summer of '75 I bought my first bike -- a chopped and stretched '74 CB750 with slash-cut straight pipes and muffler inserts about the size of 5-cent cigars.  It had a hand-painted western scene on the tank - bright yellow background - and was simply cool.  I had a ball with it, especially since I didn't know much about bikes and riding - and therefore didn't know just how evil the handling was.  A few years later it and I met a guard rail up close and personal when I tried rounding a corner that was too fast for the two of us.  The bike probably could have made the curve - if piloted by a more competent rider.

So - sure, Shane, I'd be glad to take it off your hands and see if I could get it close to what I used to have.  We'll have a trailer with us at the end of October Maxton meet, so we can fetch it then, okay?  Thanks.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
Give ya a thousand bucks for it..

Offline Warp12

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I wasn't expecting the interest! I kind of like the little bike and right now I am just interested in learning something about them and then I'll decide which way I want to go with it.

That's a great story, Jon. Glad you made it through reasonably intact!

When I was growing up, my dad had a new CB500T, followed by a couple of Yamaha XS650's. I had never really heard of the 750 Four and it's significance until years later...

I am sure that some of these bikes made their way to the salt? I see that APE still has some big bore kits and such.

Shane

Offline Stan Back

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »
I cut my teeth on these too! I bought a 1969 - third one in Ohio - still have it! In 1970 I first went to Speed Week with some biker friends and met Burt Munro! Saw a Triumph Dallas Trident with a small belt driven blower. Could not find one so that winter I grafted a Corvair turbo on the CB 750. If not the first turbo bike one of the first. No faster or slower but (Glenn) it really did sound like an Offy going down the chute at Indy!

Found out some years later the turbo was designed for ~1 atm boost and that's about what I had!  :cheers:

Drag raced it then and returned in 1975 to run at Speed Week. Missed the record but learned HP don't count if it's not attached to the track!  :-o

Then 5 more years to pay off the credit cards!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
Shane,

We stock Wossner big bore kits in our Huntington Beach location.   :-D

836CC anyone?

John

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
Oughta save that picture -- you and Bob Higbee.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Warp12

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »
I cut my teeth on these too! I bought a 1969 - third one in Ohio - still have it! In 1970 I first went to Speed Week with some biker friends and met Burt Munro! Saw a Triumph Dallas Trident with a small belt driven blower. Could not find one so that winter I grafted a Corvair turbo on the CB 750. If not the first turbo bike one of the first. No faster or slower but (Glenn) it really did sound like an Offy going down the chute at Indy!

Found out some years later the turbo was designed for ~1 atm boost and that's about what I had!  :cheers:

Drag raced it then and returned in 1975 to run at Speed Week. Missed the record but learned HP don't count if it's not attached to the track!  :-o

Then 5 more years to pay off the credit cards!  :-D

Very cool story! I take it that these motors hold up fairly well? What speeds were they running out there?

I was kind of thinking of building a little racing history on to this particular bike. Maybe some LSR passes, a few passes at the dragstrip, etc.. I ride newer bikes such as the Busa and ZX's, but I have a soft spot for older bikes.

I'm going to dig around and see what pics and specs I can find from the period, so if you guys have anything, please post it!  :-)

Shane

Offline Warp12

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
Shane,

We stock Wossner big bore kits in our Huntington Beach location.   :-D

836CC anyone?

John

The 836 seems to be popular, and I'm thinking reliable? Right now I just need to go over the bike and decide what I am doing with it...but if I decide to freshen up the motor I will keep that in mind.  :wink:

Shane

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
I drag raced a CB750 back in the early 70-s (before you were born Shane) ... I ran mid 11's with some head work, 812cc and a Yoshimura pipe. In its day it was a rocket ship - Then came the Z1 and everything changed.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
I drag raced a CB750 back in the early 70-s (before you were born Shane) ... I ran mid 11's with some head work, 812cc and a Yoshimura pipe. In its day it was a rocket ship - Then came the Z1 and everything changed.

HA! I was born in 1969! My youthful appearance fooled you!  :-D

Mid 11's is strong! I can't imagine 11.90's on this bike!

Shane

Offline Warp12

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
It's home, and safely tucked away in the garage:

Definitely a few bumps and bruises, but it looks fairly complete.  :-)

Shane

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
Ok- you were 3 years old ... My brother Tom still has the 1974 CB750K that he bought new back when you were 5.  I remember that I had CR-31 Keihins carburetors and the bike was 1100 cc at some point ...