Author Topic: Production Class  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Production Class
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »
Another rule/class question:

For the production class, can a car have an engine change that is the exact same size as originally came from the factory? Or does it have to be the exact same engine that was in the car from the factory?

Does that make sense?
TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Production Class
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
As long as it is the same type (same manufacturer, model, etc) of engine you should be fine.  Serial numbers do not need to match if that is what you are asking.

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »
Swapping a 2000cc Toyota into a 2000cc Honda, would be a No Go.

Swapping a 350 SBC for another 350 SBC of the same generation, should be OK.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »
how bout putting a Suzuki Hayabusa motor in a Suzuki car?.... bawahahahaha
kent

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:43:56 AM »
Actually putting a 350 SBC in a car that came with a 265 or 283 is OK in Production. They don't really mean Production. It's pretty well explaned in the rule book I think

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
It's pretty well explaned in the rule book I think

I'm not used to seeing that said on this forum.   :-D :-P
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »
Dan says it all the time. And there is a lot about the rule book that is clear, so nobody talks about it. And some, like the XF and XO requirements that seem clear to me but people still want to run 392s in the class. Maybe I'm just getting older and tired of bitching.

LittleLiner

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »
For the production class, can a car have an engine change that is the exact same size as originally came from the factory? Or does it have to be the exact same engine that was in the car from the factory?

Look at the definition of engine swap in the rule book. (I don't have mine with me or I'd quote the page number) If you do "an engine change" in an otherwise Production or Production Supercharged car and that "engine change" meets the definition of an engine swap, then it ain't a production car any more . . .  Probably would be a Gas Coupe (like your Suzuki) or maybe an Altered depending on any other changes to the car because of that "Engine Change". 

So . . .No . . . you cannot change engines in production if that engine change is considered an 'engine swap' even if the replacement engine is the same size (i.e replace a 302 Chevy V8 in a Camaro with a Ford 302 V8).

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
Basics, if the engine came in that type of car from the factory that year, NOT Necessarily in THAT car it's good.

So if you have a 6 banger Camaro but Chevy put a 427 Big Block in it that year, you can put a 427 Big Block in your 6 banger and go for it. good luck holding the drive train together :-)

But yeah, default to the rule book
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 01:51:43 AM »
In the rule book section 4.N it states that an engine family is defined amongst other things as be made out of the same "basic" material.  This implies that you can't use aluminum heads unless they were available from the OEM.

However later on in the same section it indicates that a crate engine is not considered an engine swap.  This could be contradictory in that you could have a crate engine with an aluminum head when one was not available on the original engine.

To me it seams that an aluminum head should be allowed as long as it meets all of the other criteria stated in the rule.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
At least with respect to GT, essentially a production class, the use of aftermarket heads is allowed, provided they are of the same design as the stock heads, use the same bolt pattern, and the same port configuration.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
The snow mobile engine in your car kicks it from Production.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 11:20:09 AM »
In Production Pickup you can not modify an OEM Stude head to have straight out from the exhaust valve ports while making it a four port head. Maybe if we made the center port still Siamese? What about using a splitter on the center port? Is that illegal? It more or less makes it 4 exhaust ports. I still say, Dan was right. And the Salt Cat guys got screwed.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Dan says it all the time. And there is a lot about the rule book that is clear, so nobody talks about it. And some, like the XF and XO requirements that seem clear to me but people still want to run 392s in the class. Maybe I'm just getting older and tired of bitching.

Rich, I find that, now that I'm older, I bitch more, I'm just not correct as much.  :cheers:

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
how bout putting a Suzuki Hayabusa motor in a Suzuki car?.... bawahahahaha
kent

Back in the day, SCCA Pro Rally rules clearly said any engine from the same manufacturer. So, daydreaming, we considered a Messerschmitt car, which was basically a closed motorcycle with 2 seats in line, and the 1,455 hp V12 engine from a Messerschmitt airplane.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.