Author Topic: Posting Woes  (Read 9795 times)

Offline Warp12

Posting Woes
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Jon, there seems to be a problem with the post editor. If I try to make a large post there are problems. When you get to the bottom of the editor and try to add more text you cannot see it...and the scrolling doesn't work during that process either. This is hard to describe, and perhaps it has been mentioned before...but I have been experiencing this for a couple of months I believe.

I am running Windows 7 with IE8.

Has anyone else noticed what I am referring to?

Shane

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Posting Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
I, too, have run into that.  What I've found is that I can open up Microsoft Word, construct my response there in a new document, and then cut and paste from Word back into the forum reply screen.

Yeah, it's a work around, but it works.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Warp12

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:56:02 AM »
I, too, have run into that.  What I've found is that I can open up Microsoft Word, construct my response there in a new document, and then cut and paste from Word back into the forum reply screen.

Yeah, it's a work around, but it works.

That's a good idea for a work around. I noticed another board with the same software is giving me the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Shane

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
The other reason for doing a long post in Word is that you can save it. A glitch while you are posting that makes you lose a bunch of work is maddening. Take your time in Word, save often, paste it in the forum, preview, and post!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
One other thing - by taking your time and taking the extra step, I find that sometimes it prevents me from posting something stupid.

But only sometimes.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
One other thing - by taking your time and taking the extra step, I find that sometimes it prevents me from posting something stupid.

But only sometimes.
Not THAT often.  :evil: (Rim shot, please)  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
Sounds like something I should try.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
Shane - please clear up my foggy head.  When you say the "post editor" and "when you get to the bottom of the editor" -- do you mean the blank into which you type your stuff?

I've often typed enough to fill said blank - but it keeps going and going and lets me make longer posts. I'll give it a try here.

By typing and returning the carriage.

Repeatedly.

Over and over again.

'Til I'm out of room on the blank.

Nope, it just clicked down a line and kept giving me more room.

Here again - and now the post is much longer than the blank space that's originally provided.

So -- whaddaya mean?  FWIW -- I use Apple computers with Firefox.  As for the thought of saving a post before losing it -- I've now and then typed a nice long post only to have it farkle when I submit it.  But -- I've learned that I can use the back button on Firefox to go back to the post as it appeared before I clicked to post.  Then -- I copy the post and paste it into a new blank.  That works for me.

Thanks from bringing the issue to light.  Bob (web elf) is on a motorcycle vacation for another week, I think, but I'll make sure he sees this so he can cogitate upon the issue.  And - with him on vacation the count down timer on the front page of the site isn't reset to World Finals.  Sorry.  I guess you're all on your own to figure out how much timeyo've got left to finish the car, bike, truck, or whatever.  TTFN.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
I almost always do a quick "preview" and proofread. 

EVERY time that I make a change to the text after previewing, I am unable to "post". I  have to save my typed text into the clipboard, back-page, then hit reply again and paste and post the text.

This has been a minor problem for many months and happens on all three of my computers.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
I thought the thread was "Posting Ho's" and felt guilty.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Warp12

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
Shane - please clear up my foggy head.  When you say the "post editor" and "when you get to the bottom of the editor" -- do you mean the blank into which you type your stuff?

I've often typed enough to fill said blank - but it keeps going and going and lets me make longer posts. I'll give it a try here.

By typing and returning the carriage.

Repeatedly.

Over and over again.

'Til I'm out of room on the blank.

Nope, it just clicked down a line and kept giving me more room.

Here again - and now the post is much longer than the blank space that's originally provided.

So -- whaddaya mean?  FWIW -- I use Apple computers with Firefox.  As for the thought of saving a post before losing it -- I've now and then typed a nice long post only to have it farkle when I submit it.  But -- I've learned that I can use the back button on Firefox to go back to the post as it appeared before I clicked to post.  Then -- I copy the post and paste it into a new blank.  That works for me.

Thanks from bringing the issue to light.  Bob (web elf) is on a motorcycle vacation for another week, I think, but I'll make sure he sees this so he can cogitate upon the issue.  And - with him on vacation the count down timer on the front page of the site isn't reset to World Finals.  Sorry.  I guess you're all on your own to figure out how much timeyo've got left to finish the car, bike, truck, or whatever.  TTFN.

Here Jon, I made you a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPPtt51Qrc

It was very hard to even type this reply due to this issue!

Shane

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
Thanks -- but there's too much going on here at Kudos Laser right now - so I'll watch it at the house tonight.  Again -- thank you very much for your fructification.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Has anyone else ceased to get PM notifications, and/or notice of new posts on suscribed threads? All of a sudden, I quit receiving them about a month ago or so.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
PM's stopped for me as well about a month ago.  If I don't look when I log in, they can go unanswered. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
Me too. It's OK. I learned how to look for them. Wayno