Author Topic: Fire suppression system  (Read 18873 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Fire suppression system
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
  Correct me I am wrong and not having my rulebook handy, Unless the rule has been modified, CO2 IS ONLY LEGAL IN THE ENGINE BAY.
  Halon and Coldfire are legal for both the engine bay and the cockpit, but make sure if using coldfire to not aim any nossles towards the driver.               Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
Dry Chem & CO2  only allowed in the engine compartment only
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Yes, that is correct , only for engine bay use and cooling off your beer !   and Slim, I 'm not Drew ! But I'll still take that handshake !  :cheers:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:08:58 PM by Billy @ AHG »
Salt Junkie

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
Well , after talking to Mel at Universal Cylinder Service  in Salt lake . And buying a bottle from him, I have the system plumbed with 5/16 steel tubing running to the front x-member just under the base of the radiator.  Then with  nozzles  aimed at each side of the block.
Mel says the trick is to run small diameter lines to maintain the pressure, then hit the diffuser in the nozzle with pressure not volume .  The bottle has lots of pressure, I mean LOTS.    Then I built the spring loaded trigger mechanism , similar to the Halon set up we have had for years , and has always passed tech. 
I am going to give the system a test and will plan on video taping it , since the bottle only costs 13 bucks to refill , hey, why not !

If you guys in Salt Lake have questions about fire systems , Talk to Mel, hes an old oval track racer  and an ex fire marshall, knows  his stuff and is fun to talk with !       I did about a half day's worth of chasing my tail before I found him.       
Salt Junkie