Author Topic: Fire suppression system  (Read 18754 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Fire suppression system
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
In '78 I experienced my first blown turbo. Lot of smoke, so thinking "Better safe then sorry." I hit the bottle. Only to later think I had just made a pricey failure more costly. I went through a bunch of Corvair turbos after that. Never hit the bottle. Never heard anything from SCTA

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »
Rich, you were lucky. I showed the inspector that there were no burnt wiring under the hood and yet he still thought I had an engine fire. He even wrote in my log book, "driver had engine fire and refused to use fire bottles". I'm glad I don't have to put up with him anymore. Now, I really feel like I have it off my chest once and for all.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
   I guessed that I was on fire at WOS and set off the bottle for nothing but steam. Damn, I hate it when I have premature discharge.
      Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  We will load up for WF tomorrow and head out on Monday. See you all there.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
Buick...Are bringing both cars?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
     Not enough time or enough motors. Wounded one at Speed Week, still waiting for parts. Salt Cat ll is together and ready again.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:48 AM »
I'm wishing you guys (JD & Doug) good luck, be safe and go fast. I love the old inline engines.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
Good luck Doug!

Someday, I hope to have enough experience, and a car/engine combo, to challenge your records. That's when I'll know I'm 'doing things right'!

You guys are great! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »
  We said when we went to the Salt that we wanted to go out and have some fun and if we set a record, it would be like painting a target on our back. Records are to be broken. We like to run the old Buicks because there aren't a lot of manufactured parts out there. If we want a different head, we have to build one in the long Montana Winter. Innovation is where it all started, and that's what makes the Salt so much fun. If it turns to bracket type racing like NHRA, you won't see us back. We've been there. Loading the car tomorrow. See you on the Salt.
                   [America]

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
At my work place I recently was assigned to get familiar with our new fire suppression system.
In doing the research for that assignment, I ran across a really interesting fire suppression option that might be really useful to carry in a race car, pit vehicle or first responder vehicle.

http://www.statx.com/First_Responder.asp

Instead of tying up the rescuers hands operating a fire extinguisher, one of these could be tossed into the drivers compartment of a car and then immediately the rescuer could begin assisting the driver out of the vehicle.

It might be a useful backup for the driver as well if hard mounted within reach.

Larry

Offline Geo

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
That fire safety canister looks good.  How much?

Stat-X First Responder Fire Supression Devices    
UN 0431
First Responders come in a case of four
Your Price: $700.00

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
Ouch!

Maybe need to see if one of the safety vendors will sell them in one's and two's

Larry
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:50:46 PM by hotrod »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Thats neat, a compact device for classes that do not "require" a fire system. Not to mention the electrical version will work in my sever room.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »
  One thing to remember is that this system, just like ColdFire, are suppressants, not extinguishers like Halon.
  You may have one hell of a time getting them recertified every two years.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
This appears to be a non pressurize device. would that make a difference on certification??
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »
The first responder unit ignites like a smoke grenade after about a 3 second delay.
My co-worker found a couple video clips of their systems being used

This shows the hand held device in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPSlzT6bgg

This one shows the electrically operated modules used in server rooms and similar locations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDGljqiR-k

The suppression is accomplished by breaking the chemical reaction that occurs during burning, not through oxygen displacement.

Larry
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:36:40 PM by hotrod »