Author Topic: Fire suppression system  (Read 18866 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Fire suppression system
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
OK question here: Looking at the rule book, for a fire suppression system in an enclosed car, Do I have to have two separate bottles of approved agent, (1) for the driver, and (1) for the engine/header area, or can I simply have one 10 pd bottle of approved agent, and will that pass tech?

TIA
Clay

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Fire suppression system
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
Clay, as long as your class only needs 10lbs, 1 bottle is fine-that's all I, and a lot of cars have.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
I'm not sure about that, but I would like having two fives so I could use just the one needed (if, in the situation, I could figure out which was which).  Cheaper to refill a five, too.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
   The cost of refilling a 5 lb vs. a 10 lb bottle is a non-issue when you are on fire. I have not regretted touching off the 10 lb bottle at World of Speed when I felt more heat and saw what I thought was smoke in the cockpit on Salt Cat ll only to find out it was steam from coolant being pushed out into the cooling system by a compression leak into the system. Money well spent.
   Doug
   [P.S. We just added another 5 lb bottle for insurance]. See you all at World Finals.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I'm with you, Doug. Those are minimums in the rule book. I also have a -20 suit. Was the steam coming out of your Cruiserline Ventiports?  :cheers: Wayno

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
The reason Stan can figure out which is which is :

HE TRAVELS SLOWLY!

For the fast guys I recommend fire'n ALL at once!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
Many years ago we had occasion to think the Bockscar was on fire after a run.... don't remember the circumstances... but Johnboy did not hit the fire bottles... and we were not on fire.  :-D
We discussed it with other racers that night and Don Vesco gave us some sage advice on that...  "if you think you're on fire you're not... you will know when you are on fire"
We have had occasion to use that advice many times over the years, oil leaking on header wrap puts out a lot of smoke, water spraying on header wrap puts out a lot of smoke looking stuff, a rubber hose too close to an unwrapped exhaust puts out a lot of smoke. 
With that said, $500 is a lot less money than letting the car be consumed by fire.  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
Might just be me -- but for the last few years I've seen more bottles discharged in the pits than on the course.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
2 words, SAFETY PINS.

I have 4 on 2 Bottles, one on the actuator, at the bottle, and one on the button.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
Also the push to deploy systems tend to get set off by accident easier than the "pull type"
.. they make both kinds so to each his own, I just prefer the pull to deploy/activate type.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
Might just be me -- but for the last few years I've seen more bottles discharged in the pits than on the course.

...........especially in the White Goose Bar  :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
Check with someone you trust about 2012 minimums, I hear changes are coming.

I just bought 2 systems, 5 lb for driver (ahead of motor) and a 10 lb for the part that crosses the fence last.

BTW, I have set off every type of actuator in the shop or trailer at one time or another.....

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Look at your 2011 rulebook and you will see the change warning for activation on Jan 1, 2012.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline GH

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
I got a royal reaming from the chief inspector at SW 2010 for not setting off the fire bottles when I lost a turbo. I knew from the previous SW that the smoke was from the failed turbo igniting the oil that was leaking into the turbo. Setting off the fire bottles would have done nothing for that kind of failure. Glad I got that off my chest.