Author Topic: Motorcycle cast wheel spokes  (Read 7742 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Motorcycle cast wheel spokes
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Anything to be gained by shaping the "spokes" of cast motorcycle rims?  I was staring at my Hayabusa rims yesterday and noticed the three spokes on the early bike's wheels are symmetrical.  Then I looked at the rims on my Gen II Busa and noticed that they angled the 3 spokes in a gentle arc and shaped the trailing edge of the spoke to look more aero.  The spoke is scimitar shaped on the later wheel.

Probably, the wheel/rim area is really turbulent otherwise we wouldn't have Moon discs on cars....so does this aero shaping of the wheel spokes really have any effect?
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Motorcycle cast wheel spokes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
Shane, I think that the air is pretty much torn up by the rotating tire. Since we cant put discs on the front wheel, not much we can do about it.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
The US Olympic cycling team spent a ton of money on aero,
for the 84 Olympics in Los Angeles.

One thing they came up with, was flat spokes, instead of round.
IIRC, the rules specified the number of spokes, but not
the cross section of each spoke.

I can only assume this was done to reduce drag.
So while the air within the wheel is turbulent, drag still exists.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
There are also motorcycle wheels that are designed to actually catch wind to help cool the brakes in road racing applications. These ARE NOT what you want on a LSR bike!!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
Since we cant put discs on the front wheel

Well, not so fast. Between discs and spokes there is a wide gap.  I don't remember the mandated amount that has to be open on the front wheel. 25%? If you take the wheel and calculate the area required to be open and then drill the disc with small holes to hit that number you have a ventilated disc that would probably have less turbulence than spokes.

5,162 1/8 holes and you have it whipped!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
I did a design study when I was contemplating making a set of wheels.

"It is required that front wheels be cross-ventilated by an area equal to at least 25% of nominal rim circle area."

"Nominal" I take to mean the part of the wheel that isn't covered by the tire or hub. I was looking at a 17" wheel that had an area of 164 sq in. Minus the hub of 35 sq in there was a nominal area of 129 sq in. 25% of that is 32 sq in.

660 1/4" holes equals 32 square inches.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
Just because it looks aero doesn't mean it is.  Pedal bicycles have spent lots of wind tunnel time refining wheels, unfortunately I'm not sure any of that is applicable here.

Would love to see Dean's design in the wind tunnel against something with a smaller number of larger holes, and a Hayabusa wheelset. 

I also wonder how the specifics of the motorcycle such as forks, fender, fairing would alter the results.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »
totally wrong about bicycle wheels.... i did quite a bit of work with Aerospoke wheels several years ago, and they had a different agenda.... there is tons of data available about a spinning mass (wheel) there big concern was in lowering the inertia of the wheel with attention to aero so the rider didn't have to expend energy to turn the wheel..... easier for the rider less hp out.... the faster the wheel turns the bigger the wash, that horse has been beaten to death, they just wanted an easier wheel to turn
Kent

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »
totally wrong about bicycle wheels.... i did quite a bit of work with Aerospoke wheels several years ago, and they had a different agenda.... there is tons of data available about a spinning mass (wheel) there big concern was in lowering the inertia of the wheel with attention to aero so the rider didn't have to expend energy to turn the wheel..... easier for the rider less hp out.... the faster the wheel turns the bigger the wash, that horse has been beaten to death, they just wanted an easier wheel to turn
Kent

Inertia is very important to them, and with the composites of today weight and strength are not an issue, but aerodynamics are now at the forefront of bicycle industry in the past several years.  In the past people thought if it looked aero it must be.  Now that there are so many bikes/wheels that claim to be aero they have to back up the claim with wind tunnel data to show how they stack up to their competitors.  Bicycle wheel manufactures are spending many hours in A2 (and other tunnels) on wheel design/shape to optimize aero to save riders time.  I have had a poll on here about a motorcycle platform I have designed that would allow spinning wheels and yaw to test things as wheel design/shape, fenders and other configurations (that need a spinning wheel simulation), but I didn’t have much interest from the motorcycle comunity.  

Zipp wheels videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtxWp7iPN8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zgznQhJN4&feature=related

D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:54:33 AM by A2WindTunnel »
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline bak189

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Cross winds................back in the early 1970's on the record 125c.c. Can-Am bike......it had wheel
covers ......Yes, they made the bike go somewhat faster (the tunnel also showed this) .....had to take them off, made riding the bike flat out dangerous.  Weather has changed since the "old days" we have been getting more wind at Bonneville over the past couple of years.....we have been racing our sidecar without the dustbin fairing due to the wind problem......in 2007 and 2008 with the dustbin mounted
Larry C. and Warren R. had more then one "moment" that got their attention.  In all the years that I ran my sidecar back in the 1980's and 1990's (with dustbin) I only had one "moment" due to cross winds....
now there is a problem several times during a meet.   Times and weather are changing........................
Question authority.....always

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
Bak, they are getting older and less fearless....  :-D
All of us seem to realize our mortality when we get older, those little glitches and were no big deal, apply a little age and wisdom and you all the sudden become concerned. 

back to topic...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Eric_Noyes

• http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
I have always assumed that 25% of “nominal rim circle area” of a 17 wheel would be 25% of a 17” circle or 56.745 sq in. This would require 1156 1/4" holes.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
Regarding the inertia of a spinning wheel............Just theory on my part, but I designed my modified Triumph Cub to roll on 21-inch wheels. The thoughts were to reduce tire width in the air and on the salt (less drag) and to help with the final gearing ratio. I found a narrow fender for the rear of a 26-inch bicycle and mounted it on the front to keep drag at a minimum without 'skirts'. Just theory.......no engineer here.........but it seems to work as the bike rolls very easily and it carried my 200 lbs. to a class record.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salt-Team-Advanced-Landspeed/222251137821263
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline maj

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »
I have always assumed that 25% of “nominal rim circle area” of a 17 wheel would be 25% of a 17” circle or 56.745 sq in. This would require 1156 1/4" holes.
And the surface area of the edge of all those holes ?? would it contribute more to drag than the original wheel with 3 shaped spokes ???

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
I think that we need to look at what the pro bicycle racers are doing to their wheels to get an idea of what to do with motor cycle wheels. If you look at the latest racing bicycle wheels you will see that they are adding fairing to the back side of the wheel rim into the spoke area and they are either running flat spokes or the big dollar guys have special aero shape spokes rolled for them, and they are greatly reducing the number of spokes in the wheels.

We need to remember that at the top of the wheel the relative velocity of the wheel to the air is twice the speed that the wheel is moving and at the bottom it is zero so any aero we can do on the top half of the wheel can pay off big time.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.